Christian Geek Central Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Online Community Of Christian Geek Central

4 posters

Ghost rider and Jesus

Rickster
    Rickster

Activity : 2338
    Geek-Cred : 16

Ghost rider and Jesus Empty Ghost rider and Jesus

Post  Rickster October 19th 2010, 2:04 pm

I remember when the Ghost rider movie came out there was an article about one of the writters for Marvel was a Christian and was working on a "game changing" story arc where Ghost rider was to meet a mysterous stranger who was planed to be reviled as Jesus.
    The Heads of Marvel were OK with this but then one guy didn't like it so the story was pulled.
    Does anyone know anything more about ths story?
    Who was reviled to be the stragner if it wasn't Jesus?
    mindspike
    mindspike
    Admin

Activity : 1035
    Geek-Cred : 39

Ghost rider and Jesus Empty Re: Ghost rider and Jesus

Post  mindspike October 19th 2010, 2:50 pm

This is news to me. Are you perhaps referring to the retcon by Garth Ennis where Johnny Blaze meets the angel Zadkiel, and is told that the Ghost Rider was intended to be Heaven's weapon against the demons? This story did significantly change the purpose of Ghost Rider.

Ghost Rider 2 starts shooting in November for a summer 2012 release. Nicholas Cage will reprise his role as Johnny Blaze. The movie will be filmed in 3D.

Nathan James Norman
    Alliance Member

Activity : 805
    Geek-Cred : 47

Post  Nathan James Norman October 19th 2010, 7:55 pm

Ghostrider accepting Jesus is mentioned here (http://www.worldfamouscomics.com/tony/back20011214.shtml) in Tony Isabella's notes:

"The Challenger turns out to be Satan in disguise. Gosh, who would have seen THAT coming?

Blaze continues to struggle against the Prince of Lies, but he can't win this battle without help. Which arrives in the form of the Friend. Whose Name is now capitalized because I finally accept my obvious lack of subtlety back then.

I've never been able to turn up a copy of my original script for "Resurrection." It was probably lost in all the relocation I did back then. But my memory is pretty clear on the next scene I wrote and how I avoided using the Friend's real Name in it. Like my previous editors on the title, I believed getting too specific might be offensive to some readers.

That's not a problem here, right?

Johnny Blaze accepts Jesus Christ into his life. This gives him the strength to overcome Satan, though with more pyrotechnics than most of us can muster. He retains the Ghost Rider powers he had been given by Satan, but they are his to use as his new faith directs him."

And also here in the Wikipedia entry for the author:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tony_Isabella#cite_note-2

Paeter
    Paeter
    Admin

Activity : 8030
    Geek-Cred : 60

Post  Paeter October 19th 2010, 9:07 pm

Wow! No surprises it got ditched, but it would have been cool. A few issues of Ostrander and Mandrakes "The Spectre" have some very strong ties to Christian theology and thinking, but the author was still a bit too liberal theologically to really go where i think the character would best thrive: as a no holds barred Biblical character concept.

Mindspike, about when is the story you mention that changes the focus of Ghost Rider to side him with "heaven"?

And thanks for the news about the movie. I seriously need to get caught up on some of that stuff!

www.spiritblade.com
    mindspike
    mindspike
    Admin

Activity : 1035
    Geek-Cred : 39

Post  mindspike October 20th 2010, 12:36 am

It was in issue #17 of the recently ended run of Ghost Rider (vol 6, or 2006, depending on your catalog). The correct author would be Daniel Way, not Garth Ennis, who did the previous run. My mistake.

He doesn't really side with heaven. Zadkiel is running a scam, and wants to use GR to overthrow the current ruling structure of heaven. It's a big mess. That story arc ran through the end of the 2006 series and into "Heavens on Fire" by Jason Aaron. Pretty rough stuff with epic scope and great use of Judeo-Christian flavored mythology. Not remotely approaching orthodox theology, though.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is May 6th 2024, 3:34 pm