Christian Geek Central Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Online Community Of Christian Geek Central

3 posters

What Comes After Your Brain Hits Its Limit?

Paeter
    Paeter
    Admin

Activity : 8031
    Geek-Cred : 60

What Comes After Your Brain Hits Its Limit? Empty What Comes After Your Brain Hits Its Limit?

Post  Paeter October 25th 2010, 11:39 am

Doing the prep for "In Search Of Truth" right now and my mind wandered to another topic I was reading on yesterday, comparing two opposing viewpoints. The subject matter was something that was ultimately over my head. To do exhaustive "fact-checking" would require that I go back to school for four years.

So I'm at the limit of my knowledge and want to make some form of decision about my view on the subject. I've run into this scenario a number of times in my life, and so have developed a way of dealing with it. But I'm curious about what others do when they reach a point similar to this.

Your ability to "fact-check" has run out and you have one or more opposing views to choose from. What factors determine your next move? Do you even make a next move?

Thoughts?

www.spiritblade.com
    WhiteBoy
    WhiteBoy

Activity : 855
    Geek-Cred : 12

What Comes After Your Brain Hits Its Limit? Empty Re: What Comes After Your Brain Hits Its Limit?

Post  WhiteBoy October 26th 2010, 8:44 am

The plain truth is that we can't know everything. No matter how well informed we may or may not be of the facts, we should almost always be humble enough to accept more information about it. I'm speaking in general terms here because I don't know if you are speaking about a doctrinal truth from the Bible or more like a political view on something. Certain Biblical doctrines I will not waiver on regardless of the argument because the Bible is so plain on the matter. Other doctrines or political views we have to use principles of the Bible to guide us because the Bible doesn't spell it out as clearly.

Also, if it's more of a political view subject, there are other authors and spiritual leaders whom you can trust...and many you can't. If you don't know that you can trust a particular person, ask someone you DO trust about that author. I don't blindly trust a publisher to be discriminating enough to make that decision. Then read a book or listen to a sermon to see what that trusted person has to say. Leverage their expertise and the time they have spent on the matter. But again, I think it's important that you can trust their opinion and spiritual viewpoint.

Ultimately the strength of my opinion is pretty much directly related to how much time and effort I've spent to studying the topic. I'm not afraid to say "I don't know, but here's what I think" and "I need to study this more, but....". We are all continually growing and learning.

Admin

Activity : 1035
    Geek-Cred : 39

What Comes After Your Brain Hits Its Limit? Empty Re: What Comes After Your Brain Hits Its Limit?

Post  mindspike October 26th 2010, 10:12 am

Honestly, I try to make the best decision based on the facts and principles I have on hand. When choosing between viewpoints, my plumbline usually comes down to extrapolating the consequences of pursuing a viewpoint to its conclusion, and then comparing that conclusion to established fact or principle. Many arguments that seem logical fall apart when taken to the extreme; even when dealing with purely human premises, the extreme inference is helpful. As an example, extrapolating the political left or right to final political stance will scare anyone into moderation. The only case where an argument can be consistently and logically taken to an extreme is in the case of spiritual considerations; God is perfectly consistent ... to the extreme. Be interesting to see what this week's "In Search of Truth" addresses.

Paeter
    Admin

Activity : 8031
    Geek-Cred : 60

Post  Paeter October 26th 2010, 11:31 am

"In Search Of Truth" actually doesn't address this issue this week. This was something my mind wandered to (off-topic) while prepping "In Search Of Truth".

Sounds like the three of us arrive at similar places. I wasn't necessarily thinking of just spiritual/doctrinal issues. Just truth in general. I was reminded of how at some point, everyone has to trust someone's knowledge other than their own. Many Atheists, for example, are putting quite a bit of faith in Atheist scientists.

In my case, if I've reached the point where my understanding ends and my ability to learn more is blocked for the time being, I begin looking at the personalities and moral fiber of those presenting the views remaining in question.

All things being equal, I will lean toward the person who seems to keep their cool the best, uses language precisely in describing their views and their opponent's views, and who has a strength of character that promotes confidence in their honesty and selflessness. Such people are more likely to be telling the truth without coloring it in any way.

And at the end of all this, I keep myself open to a change of view based on better/more information.

www.spiritblade.com

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is May 16th 2024, 1:01 am