Christian Geek Central Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Online Community Of Christian Geek Central

3 posters

I finished The Way of Shadows (spoilers)

Reed Benson
    Reed Benson

Activity : 406
    Geek-Cred : 1

I finished The Way of Shadows (spoilers) Empty I finished The Way of Shadows (spoilers)

Post  Reed Benson February 19th 2018, 9:00 pm

I know the Night Angel Trilogy is one of Paeter's favorites, and I found the whole thing available on Overdrive in both ebook and audiobook formats, so I dove in. I just finished The Way of Shadows a couple days ago on audiobook. I don't know how many people here have read it, but man, it is long. It sure covers a lot of time; Azoth starts as a kid, but he's a skilled young adult assassin by the end of the book. Some chapters actually skip several years. Just when I thought it was getting to a plot that would cover the majority of the book, things would change. This is not a complaint, just an observation.

It was really dark, too, as expected. I afraid to even list the nasty things that happened for fear of getting booted off the forum. It's definitely a dark world, and I suspect it will get darker as I move on to Shadow's Edge.

My favorite characters are Elene, Dorian, and Solon, I think.

There was at least one long portion in the middle that I'm confused about. Azoth/Kylar goes in disguise to participate in a gladiatorial tournament to decide who can be the king's bodyguard or something. He ends up defeating his best friend in what I think is the finals of the tournament, then angrily leaves. Unless I missed it, they never say who became the king's bodyguard. The only references to it later in the book are how Azoth/Kylar beat Logan without Logan knowing. The only use I could find of the whole scenario was when Azoth/Kylar met the magic lady who revealed why he couldn't get his special talent (super power) to work.
    Paeter
    Paeter
    Admin

Activity : 8030
    Geek-Cred : 60

I finished The Way of Shadows (spoilers) Empty Re: I finished The Way of Shadows (spoilers)

Post  Paeter February 22nd 2018, 9:47 am

Man I've forgotten SO much of this story! Must be time to re-read it!

www.spiritblade.com
    AdamCollings
    AdamCollings

Activity : 1755
    Geek-Cred : 11

I finished The Way of Shadows (spoilers) Empty Re: I finished The Way of Shadows (spoilers)

Post  AdamCollings February 22nd 2018, 5:01 pm

I've read the first one, but not the sequels, and I've forgotten a lot too.
    It's like that with books, at least when you read as many as I do.
    Reed Benson
    Reed Benson

Activity : 406
    Geek-Cred : 1

Post  Reed Benson March 1st 2018, 5:08 am

I think I'd better stop reading this series for now. I'm almost a third of the way into Shadow's Edge, but I'm dealing with so much anxiety and depression right now that I think these kinds of dark, violent stories could be damaging to my spirit. Maybe I'll be able to pick it up again after the Lord delivers me from this funk.
    Paeter
    Paeter
    Admin

Activity : 8030
    Geek-Cred : 60

Post  Paeter March 1st 2018, 10:30 am

Reed Benson wrote:I think I'd better stop reading this series for now. I'm almost a third of the way into Shadow's Edge, but I'm dealing with so much anxiety and depression right now that I think these kinds of dark, violent stories could be damaging to my spirit. Maybe I'll be able to pick it up again after the Lord delivers me from this funk.

Sounds like the right move. My hat goes off to you for being able to make that call.

www.spiritblade.com

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is April 27th 2024, 1:58 pm