Christian Geek Central Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Online Community Of Christian Geek Central

4 posters

Billy Graham Changed His Address

jorowi
    jorowi
    Admin

Activity : 1094
    Geek-Cred : 7

Billy Graham Changed His Address Empty Billy Graham Changed His Address

Post  jorowi February 21st 2018, 10:26 am

If you haven't heard the news, Billy Graham has died at age 99. I've been watching news coverage this morning and he's preaching the Gospel to more people than ever!

“Someday you will read or hear that Billy Graham is dead. Don’t you believe a word of it. I shall be more alive than I am now. I will just have changed my address. I will have gone into the presence of God.” —Billy Graham

Twitter
    Instagram
    AdamCollings
    AdamCollings

Activity : 1755
    Geek-Cred : 11

Billy Graham Changed His Address Empty Re: Billy Graham Changed His Address

Post  AdamCollings February 21st 2018, 7:25 pm

A life well-lived.
    Paeter
    Paeter
    Admin

Activity : 8030
    Geek-Cred : 60

Post  Paeter February 22nd 2018, 9:03 am

What an awesome quote. A really remarkable man.

www.spiritblade.com
    Archsaint
    Archsaint

Activity : 47
    Geek-Cred : 0

Post  Archsaint February 24th 2018, 10:38 am

From what I’ve heard, Billy Graham started out as a “hellfire and brimstone” preacher, you can find him saying some good stuff, but somewhere along the line he was corrupted and became a friend of the world (explains his popularity, James 4:4).
    He has for many years preached a different gospel, let him be accursed (Gal. 1:6-9).

On his website, his gospel message states that salvation is received by praying and by turning from your sins (works). Website quote:
    "You say, “How can that be? How can God live in my heart and fill the aching void in my life?” Simply bow your head and pray to God this prayer: “O God, I am a sinner—I turn from my sinsI give them up—I receive You as my Savior. And by faith I ask Jesus Christ to be my Lord and Master.”"

He also stated that you don’t have to be a believer to be saved in an interview with Robert Schuller:

SCHULLER: Tell me, what do you think is the future of Christianity?

GRAHAM: Well, Christianity and being a true believer--you know, I think there's the Body of Christ. This comes from all the Christian groups around the world, outside the Christian groups. I think everybody that loves Christ, or knows Christ, whether they're conscious of it or not, they're members of the Body of Christ. And I don't think that we're going to see a great sweeping revival, that will turn the whole world to Christ at any time. I think James answered that, the Apostle James in the first council in Jerusalem, when he said that God's purpose for this age is to call out a people for His name. And that's what God is doing today, He's calling people out of the world for His name, whether they come from the Muslim world, or the Buddhist world, or the Christian world or the non-believing world, they are members of the Body of Christ because they've been called by God. They may not even know the name of Jesus but they know in their hearts that they need something that they don't have, and they turn to the only light that they have, and I think that they are saved, and that they're going to be with us in heaven. [emphasis added]

You can watch the video yourself, here’s a link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hrf60-zHl9A
    Paeter
    Paeter
    Admin

Post  Paeter February 26th 2018, 10:43 am

Archsaint wrote:From what I’ve heard, Billy Graham started out as a “hellfire and brimstone” preacher, you can find him saying some good stuff, but somewhere along the line he was corrupted and became a friend of the world (explains his popularity, James 4:4).
    He has for many years preached a different gospel, let him be accursed (Gal. 1:6-9).

I can appreciate your concern over his wording at times. It's imprecise and problematic when pressed for clarity. He's definitely been a preacher and evangelist far more than a teacher or theologian.

I could be wrong, but I don't think Graham was a universalist (meaning "everyone goes to heaven no matter what"). What he seems to be touching on in that quote is some of the nuance in justification-salvation theology. And I think there should be room for clear, yet sensitively gracious conversation about that.

If you'd like you can read through and revive this old thread on the topic of Justification: https://spiritblade.forumotion.com/t1208-how-wrong-can-you-be-before-it-becomes-critical

I think it's a good example set by this community of how to converse and disagree with both honesty and sensitivity. Once you're caught up on that conversation you can feel free to share your thoughts on Justification theology there!

www.spiritblade.com
    Archsaint
    Archsaint

Activity : 47
    Geek-Cred : 0

Post  Archsaint February 27th 2018, 7:14 pm

Archsaint opens a can of sparkling water. He drinks the blackberry flavored beverage as carbonated bubbles tickle his mustache.

Paeter wrote:I can appreciate your concern over his wording at times. It's imprecise and problematic when pressed for clarity. He's definitely been a preacher and evangelist far more than a teacher or theologian.
    I’m not sure how much you know about Billy Graham, but if a false gospel isn’t enough, there’s plenty more. I could post links with quotes showing his love of Catholicism and his dealings with the popes… not sure what would convince you that this man is a wolf in sheep’s clothing.

Paeter wrote: If you'd like you can read through and revive this old thread on the topic of Justification: https://spiritblade.forumotion.com/t1208-how-wrong-can-you-be-before-it-becomes-critical
    That was an interesting thread. Not really wanting to ‘revive’ it as the topic is kind of all over the place, and little to no scripture was in play. Though the Rom. 10 thing I would be interested in discussing sometime.

Paeter wrote:...I think there should be room for clear, yet sensitively gracious conversation about that.
    ...it's a good example set by this community of how to converse and disagree with both honesty and sensitivity.
    Is that to suggest, that my initial post was somehow inappropriate?
    If anyone was offended I’m not aware; you’re the only one that replied.
    Paeter
    Paeter
    Admin

Post  Paeter February 28th 2018, 9:45 am

Archsaint wrote:
    Paeter wrote:...I think there should be room for clear, yet sensitively gracious conversation about that.
    ...it's a good example set by this community of how to converse and disagree with both honesty and sensitivity.
    Is that to suggest, that my initial post was somehow inappropriate?
    If anyone was offended I’m not aware; you’re the only one that replied.

I don't think a concern about false teaching is inappropriate. It's more of a timing/context/wording thing. But rather than derail the intent of this thread any further I'll shoot you an e-mail with some thoughts.

www.spiritblade.com

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is April 28th 2024, 4:48 am