Christian Geek Central Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Online Community Of Christian Geek Central

5 posters

Solo: A Star Wars Story SPOILER CHAT!!

Paeter
    Paeter
    Admin

Activity : 8031
    Geek-Cred : 60

Solo: A Star Wars Story SPOILER CHAT!! Empty Solo: A Star Wars Story SPOILER CHAT!!

Post  Paeter May 31st 2018, 9:14 am

Look away if you don't want this movie spoiled for you! Otherwise scroll down and let's get into it!

What the crap? Darth Maul?? I heard he's in the Rebels cartoon or something, but if you just watch the movies, like me, this was nuts! (And yet very welcome!) I hope they explain this in a future movie rather than ask me to watch the cartoon series. (Obi Wan movie, anyone?) Ideally, he'll replace Snoke somehow as the "big bad" in episode 9, but I really doubt that will happen. They'll want to let Obi Wan take him down for good in his movie. Then again, after the weird, rug-yanking plot of Ep 8, anything is possible in 9 as far as I'm concerned.

I loved the subtle call out to "Han Shot First" in that final scene with Beckett.

Is anyone else under the impression that the L-3/Lando story was there to explain Lando's love for the Falcon in later Eps? Did Lando and Han only call the Falcon "She" AFTER L-3 was transferred to the Falcon navicomputer? That's the only plot/lore reason I can think of to have that little subplot, which struck me as odd on its own.

www.spiritblade.com
    Rickster
    Rickster

Activity : 2338
    Geek-Cred : 16

Solo: A Star Wars Story SPOILER CHAT!! Empty Re: Solo: A Star Wars Story SPOILER CHAT!!

Post  Rickster May 31st 2018, 8:12 pm

Paeter wrote:

Is anyone else under the impression that the L-3/Lando story was there to explain Lando's love for the Falcon in later Eps? Did Lando and Han only call the Falcon "She" AFTER L-3 was transferred to the Falcon navicomputer? That's the only plot/lore reason I can think of to have that little subplot, which struck me as odd on its own.

I think so but i don't know why she died. how many times have R2D2 and C3PO got blown up shot "died" and was repaired just fine.

Paeter
    Paeter
    Admin

Solo: A Star Wars Story SPOILER CHAT!! Empty Re: Solo: A Star Wars Story SPOILER CHAT!!

Post  Paeter June 1st 2018, 7:53 am

Rickster wrote: i don't know why she died. how many times have R2D2 and C3PO got blown up shot "died" and was repaired just fine.

That's a really good point! Hmm. That just adds to the unusual treatment of the droid concept in this movie.

www.spiritblade.com
    UKSteve
    UKSteve

Activity : 354
    Geek-Cred : 10

Post  UKSteve June 6th 2018, 1:36 pm

Rickster wrote:
    I don't know why she died. how many times have R2D2 and C3PO got blown up shot "died" and was repaired just fine.

I figured they would have repaired L-3 at some later point had the need for the brain transplant not been more urgent.
    mindspike
    mindspike
    Admin

Activity : 1035
    Geek-Cred : 39

Post  mindspike June 7th 2018, 4:05 pm

Paeter wrote:Is anyone else under the impression that the L-3/Lando story was there to explain Lando's love for the Falcon in later Eps? Did Lando and Han only call the Falcon "She" AFTER L-3 was transferred to the Falcon navicomputer? That's the only plot/lore reason I can think of to have that little subplot, which struck me as odd on its own.

Ships are traditionally referred to in the female. It's a holdover from a nautical tradition for which no one really knows the origin.

I think the transferring of L3 into the Falcon's navicomputer is a reference to a line in "Empire" where Han states that the Falcon's computer is made up of multiple systems. 3PO says the Falcon has "a most peculiar dialect."

I really liked Solo. Small wonder that it is written by Lawrence Kasdan, who also did The Force Awakens and Empire Strikes Back.

ComiKate

Activity : 410
    Geek-Cred : 21

Post  ComiKate June 28th 2018, 6:41 pm

Paeter wrote:They'll want to let Obi Wan take him down for good in his movie.

Sorry, that already happened in SW Rebels, the animated series.

As a regular scifi movie I thought Solo was fine and mildly entertaining for the hours spent in the theatre, immediately forgotten afterward but enjoyed nontheless. And I liked the casting of the new actors for Han and Lando.

As a SW movie, I didn't like it and would gladly adopt the evermore popular alternative title Soylo.
    Just a few examples, Lando is now retconned into being pan-sexual (seriously, this is official now), the L3 droid was pushing a ridiculous SJW-like agenda. The pirate leader, who had kicked some serious a** against a bunch of strong, experienced adult fighters, turned out to be a young teenaged girl. scratch And worst of all, Han Solo, the beloved character, is now a beta male who takes orders even from the aforementioned annoying L3 droid. Well, let me stop there.

After TFA, TLJ and now Soylo, I will not be going to episode 9. I'm done with the SJW Star Wars cinematic universe and will now probably delve further into Legends, formerly known as the Expanded Universe - unless they radically change the top brass at Lucasfilm or at least give Dave Filoni free range on the story line of Ep. 9.
    Paeter
    Paeter
    Admin

Post  Paeter June 29th 2018, 10:12 am

ComiKate wrote:

As a SW movie, I didn't like it and would gladly adopt the evermore popular alternative title Soylo.

I don't get the word play. Is that because people don't think it feels like a real Star Wars movie, and so compare it to "soy"? Or is it referring to something else?

www.spiritblade.com
    ComiKate
    ComiKate

Activity : 410
    Geek-Cred : 21

Post  ComiKate June 29th 2018, 11:14 am

It's from Soy Boy. Try searching for Soylo on Youtube or Google and you'll get what I mean.

Also, let me quote from the Urban Dictionary:
    Solo: A Star Wars Story SPOILER CHAT!! Scherm10

And here's their complete - and very funny - set of definitions.
    Paeter
    Paeter
    Admin

Post  Paeter July 2nd 2018, 10:54 am

Gotcha. Wow, so many rabbit holes to jump down in this world of memes!

www.spiritblade.com

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is May 19th 2024, 7:20 am