Christian Geek Central Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Online Community Of Christian Geek Central

5 posters

E3 & The Future Of Video Games

Paeter
    Paeter
    Admin

Activity : 8031
    Geek-Cred : 60

E3 & The Future Of Video Games Empty E3 & The Future Of Video Games

Post  Paeter June 5th 2018, 11:49 am

Anyone have any particular hopes or predictions for E3 this year? Or maybe you don't really follow E3, but there is something you'd really like to happen in the world of video games.

What IP would you like to see in a new video game? What would make for a cool Christian video game? What kind of new hardware concept would you like to see explored?

I didn't include this in my wishlist for E3 this year, but for years now I've wanted to see an RPG with dialogue tress that presents the entire line of dialogue (rather than just a vague "hint" of it, as in Mass Effect) and gives you the option of selecting your dialogue option by speaking it out loud. I think I would have so much fun doing that, and I can only imagine the personality-driven youtube videos and live streams that would benefit from it as well.

www.spiritblade.com
    Rickster
    Rickster

Activity : 2338
    Geek-Cred : 16

E3 & The Future Of Video Games Empty Re: E3 & The Future Of Video Games

Post  Rickster June 5th 2018, 3:00 pm

My E3 wishlist

Super Mario Maker for the Switch
    Metroid Prime trilogy for the Switch
    Info on Square Enix Avengers game
    Something that interest me from Xbox
    I really want a Single Player Star Wars game (Not likely since EA thinks single player games are dead)
    I dont want a PS5 announcement
    AdamCollings
    AdamCollings

Activity : 1759
    Geek-Cred : 11

Post  AdamCollings June 5th 2018, 6:22 pm

Paeter wrote:Anyone have any particular hopes or predictions for E3 this year? Or maybe you don't really follow E3, but there is something you'd really like to happen in the world of video games.

What IP would you like to see in a new video game? What would make for a cool Christian video game? What kind of new hardware concept would you like to see explored?

I didn't include this in my wishlist for E3 this year, but for years now I've wanted to see an RPG with dialogue tress that presents the entire line of dialogue (rather than just a vague "hint" of it, as in Mass Effect) and gives you the option of selecting your dialogue option by speaking it out loud. I think I would have so much fun doing that, and I can only imagine the personality-driven youtube videos and live streams that would benefit from it as well.

I don't follow E3, as I don't have a current generation console, so it's all pretty much irrelevant to me, these days. I do, however, enjoy your reactions and thoughts on it all.

You raise some interesting questions, though.

I'd like to see a James Bond game. An original story, voiced by Daniel Craig, Ralph Feinnes, etc. The gameplay would be something along the lines of the Uncharted games. But with less emphasis on shooting, and a little more on interacting with characters, solving problems etc. An action.adventure game with more of a lean toward adventure than action (Uncharted leans more toward action than adventure)

I'll get back to you on the idea for a cool Christian video game. That's a question worthy of some thought.
    AdamCollings
    AdamCollings

Post  AdamCollings June 5th 2018, 6:26 pm

Rickster wrote:

I'm curious about your reason for this Rick.

I my case, I remember feeling really disappointed when the PS4 was announced. I'd just bought a PS3 a couple of years ago. I was excited, because, for the first time in decades, I was at the forefront of gaming, with everyone else. I could talk to my workmates about games and actually be part of the conversation. I could buy and play the stuff they talked about. As soon as PS4 was released, I realised that soon I'd no longer be at the forefront. I'd lag behind, just as before. The dream was ending. (Okay, that's a bit dramatic, but you get what I mean).

Paeter
    Paeter
    Admin

Post  Paeter June 6th 2018, 8:28 am

AdamCollings wrote:
    Rickster wrote:
    As soon as PS4 was released, I realised that soon I'd no longer be at the forefront. I'd lag behind, just as before. The dream was ending. (Okay, that's a bit dramatic, but you get what I mean).

My purchasing pattern puts me somewhere between you and the folks who buy on the ground floor, Adam. I usually wait until what ends up being about a year before they introduce the slimmer, cheaper version of the console. I bought the 360 and PS4 between 1-2 years after they were released. For me, new console announcements aren't QUITE sad, because I know it will be awhile before the release and then longer still before I'll have a reason to really want it. But that may change with the PS5. We've seen developers add settings for their games that make them look and run better when played on the Xbox One X or the PS4 Pro. I can imagine that will continue with each company's next consoles. I've never been especially drawn to graphics before, but I wonder if the allure of making my current game library look and play better would get me to fork over my money a little earlier.

www.spiritblade.com
    Rickster
    Rickster

Post  Rickster June 6th 2018, 2:05 pm

AdamCollings wrote:
    Rickster wrote:

I'm curious about your reason for this Rick.

I feel like its not needed right now and think Sony could wait a year before announcing it

Paeter wrote:

My purchasing pattern puts me somewhere between you and the folks who buy on the ground floor, Adam. I usually wait until what ends up being about a year before they introduce the slimmer, cheaper version of the console..

i'm kind of the same way i usually dont get a system until there is a game that I want for . I got a PS2 the first Christmas it was out and there wasnt any games out that I wanted for a while
    Paeter
    Paeter
    Admin

Post  Paeter June 8th 2018, 8:28 am

Rickster wrote:
    i'm kind of the same way i usually dont get a system until there is a game that I want for . I got a PS2 the first Christmas it was out and there wasnt any games out that I wanted for a while

It's kind of some weird math, isn't it? You're thinking, "Okay, I want 'Super JRPG', which costs $60. But I need 'Mega Console' to play it, which costs $400. Is 'Super JRPG' worth $460 to me right now?" I know it's not that simple because the console is a gateway to future game experiences, too. But it's definitely part of my math for that first game that triggers my console purchase.

www.spiritblade.com
    Rickster
    Rickster

Post  Rickster June 8th 2018, 7:08 pm

Paeter wrote:
    Rickster wrote:

It's kind of some weird math, isn't it? You're thinking, "Okay, I want 'Super JRPG', which costs $60. But I need 'Mega Console' to play it, which costs $400. Is 'Super JRPG' worth $460 to me right now?" I know it's not that simple because the console is a gateway to future game experiences, too. But it's definitely part of my math for that first game that triggers my console purchase.

That's why those bundles are great when I got my PS4 it included the Uncharted trilogy remasters and my Switch was bundled with Super Mario Odyssey. Also I'm PS+ member so when the PS5 comes out i can add those free games even with out the system so lets say i get the PS5 a year after launch i'll have a years worth of free games already in my library
    Paeter
    Paeter
    Admin

Post  Paeter June 10th 2018, 9:46 am

My thoughts on EA's Press Conference:

Anyone else watch the show? What did you think?

www.spiritblade.com
    Rickster
    Rickster

Post  Rickster June 10th 2018, 12:28 pm

Paeter wrote:

Anyone else watch the show? What did you think?

EA=Enough Already
    Paeter
    Paeter
    Admin

Post  Paeter June 10th 2018, 2:18 pm

Here's the EA Press Conference for anyone interested:

And here's a fairly revealing (and sometimes funny) rapid fire interview Game Informer did with a developer for Anthem. Confirms some bummer details as my preferences go.

And while we're at it, feel free, everyone, to post any E3 2018 videos you find interesting here in this thread!

Alright, time to get ready to watch Microsoft!

www.spiritblade.com
    Paeter
    Paeter
    Admin

Post  Paeter June 11th 2018, 7:53 am

Here's Microsoft:

...my reactions:

And Bethesda:

...with my reactions:

www.spiritblade.com
    Paeter
    Paeter
    Admin

Post  Paeter June 11th 2018, 7:56 am

In a nutshell, it was interesting for me to see Xbox basically put all their eggs into the basket labeled "Next Generation", and Bethesda had an interesting assortment of announcements, none of which made me excited but combined I found interesting and somewhat satisfying.

Hopefully Rage 2 will have some RPG levelling/looting systems and Fallout 76 will allow for enjoyable play without seeing/interacting with other human players or requiring Playstation Plus. Those are two key issues I'll be trying to hunt down and get figured out by the end of the week.

www.spiritblade.com
    Paeter
    Paeter
    Admin

Post  Paeter June 13th 2018, 9:52 am

Wow. So this trailer played at the PC Gaming Show, met with much laughter and applause.

Here's my reaction to it (starting at 6:44)-

What's your reaction to this trailer?

www.spiritblade.com
    AdamCollings
    AdamCollings

Post  AdamCollings June 17th 2018, 9:18 pm

My reaction is similar to yours. There is a clear lack of understanding the gospel being displayed (and it's sad to think that this may be because we have failed to effectively 'get the word out')

The concept being show definitely a works-based thing. It seems people qualify for heaven by "being nice people"
    I suspect the attitude behind this is: "Christians believe good people go to heaven and bad people go to hell, but most christians are not good people. They're intolerant etc etc etc, but the stereotypical polar opposite are generally open-minded and tolerant. Therefore, they'll go to heaven and the Christians will not."

The big question is how do we respond to stuff like this as Christians.
    I think you've done well. Your response was not at all emotive. You didn't cry outrage and act offended. You gave a very calm reasoned analysis, and then presented the true gospel.
    I'll bet you'll get some views on that videos, from people hoping to troll the 'angry offended Christians'. If they stick around long enough, they may just hear the truth.
    Paeter
    Paeter
    Admin

Post  Paeter June 18th 2018, 5:58 pm

AdamCollings wrote:
    I'll bet you'll get some views on that videos, from people hoping to troll the 'angry offended Christians'. If they stick around long enough, they may just hear the truth.

Maybe, we'll see. Maybe I should have click-bated a little more with a title like "A Christian Reaction To The Heretical False Gospel Of 'Rapture Rejects'". Lol! Oh, man. On a more reckless day I might have.

But since my musings ended up wandering toward where Christians are at in their understanding and presentation of the Gospel I decided to direct it at that audience, which is my primary intended audience anyway. But yeah, hopefully a few non-Christians will wander in to the content and walk away with some truth! Thanks for your encouragement!

www.spiritblade.com
    mindspike
    mindspike
    Admin

Activity : 1035
    Geek-Cred : 39

Post  mindspike June 19th 2018, 8:54 am

I don't follow E3 but my son is anxiously awaiting the new Nintendo announcements.

I can't think of the last time I spent any time playing a video game. Most of my video game time comes in small chunks and is spent on games that can be completed in less than 10 minutes at a sitting.

If I had a video game request, it would be that "Run an Empire" makes a US IOS release. The game uses a GPS to track your run/walk. Your mileage claims territory on a real world map that you can then fortify and defend against others trying to capture it. I'm very curious to see how it all shakes out, and it would add another dimension to my regular run.

Paeter
    Admin

Post  Paeter June 19th 2018, 10:16 am

mindspike wrote:

If I had a video game request, it would be that "Run an Empire" makes a US IOS release. The game uses a GPS to track your run/walk. Your mileage claims territory on a real world map that you can then fortify and defend against others trying to capture it. I'm very curious to see how it all shakes out, and it would add another dimension to my regular run.

Ooh, that sounds cool! Honestly, I wonder if fitness-oriented games will be on the rise at some point. The organic/whole foods movement has only been growing and people seem to be more health conscious than a couple decades ago. (Or is that just the old people like me who are all aging together?) And this is just a guess, but I think a lot of us geeks WANT to be in better shape. But speaking for myself it's just hard to want to carve time out of my fun time to exercise more. I would love some kind of simple motion game in a fantasy/RPG setting that required me to walk, jog and swing a weapon/wand at monsters.

There probably doesn't seem to be a market for it, but influencers and especially games media folks tend to be clustered on the west coast, where body image is more of a thing. I'm thinking it might catch on with them and then get more coverage as a result. So my crazy, hopeful theory is that someone just needs to make that game and then it will spark a genre.

More realistically, we'll just see more phone apps/games that cover that territory with far less risk involved.

Alright, caffeine has kicked in so I'm off to jog!

www.spiritblade.com
    jorowi
    jorowi
    Admin

Activity : 1095
    Geek-Cred : 7

Post  jorowi June 19th 2018, 10:48 am

What are your thoughts on the nudity in Cyberpunk 2077?

…the presenter revealed a mockup of the character creation system. It showed generic male and female avatars standing on a blue background. Both of them were completely nude, but their genitals were covered with pixelated white boxes of digital noise.

“We covered these parts for one reason,” said Badowski. “Because during the presentation, we don’t want people to focus on and think about these things and laugh. It’s normal! Nudity makes it more believable; that’s why we want to have it. There’s nothing special in it.”

https://www.polygon.com/e3/2018/6/15/17468232/cyberpunk-2077-nudity-transhumanism

Twitter
    Instagram
    AdamCollings
    AdamCollings

Post  AdamCollings June 19th 2018, 7:08 pm

mindspike wrote:If I had a video game request, it would be that "Run an Empire" makes a US IOS release. The game uses a GPS to track your run/walk. Your mileage claims territory on a real world map that you can then fortify and defend against others trying to capture it. I'm very curious to see how it all shakes out, and it would add another dimension to my regular run.

That does sound cool. Zombies, Run! was a powerful motivator to me for while, but I've kinda fallen away. I really should get back into it so I can find out what happens next.
    In my case, I'd be waiting for an Australian Android release. Might be waiting a while. I'm baffled as to why they're releasing one country at a time. Why don't they release to the whole planet like everybody else. Seems very last-century.

Gamification of exercise is a good idea. You're right Paeter, a lot of geeks want to be in better shape. What I've learned though, is that the game can give you a motivational boost if you already have some discipline, it may even help you initially establish that discipline out of nothing, but without the application of willpower, the novelty of the game will wear off and you'll be back where you started.
    Paeter
    Paeter
    Admin

Post  Paeter June 20th 2018, 9:14 am

jorowi wrote:What are your thoughts on the nudity in Cyberpunk 2077?

I didn't comment much on Cyberpunk 2077 in my coverage because for one, I don't get very excited for games that aren't willing to really show their gameplay to the public yet. Secondly, I'm just not sure it will be my kind of game. The Witcher 3 never really grabbed me.

As for your actual question, I heard varying and loose descriptions about the nudity content in the demo from press who saw the game. So I wasn't sure what to think. But then I heard from one outlet (after posting all my E3 stuff) that one mission involves carrying a naked woman in first person, putting her nipple in really close view the entire time.

My hope would be that they'll offer a setting without nudity. But that studio has gained so much credibility with fans and everyone seems to think they can do no wrong and is itching to play this game. So I don't think that setting will be offered.

It does mean there is a good chance I won't even review the game. I'll just have to see what more info comes out of various previews as we get closer to its release.

My hope is that those with biblical concerns about nudity and those with liberal/social concerns for women will cross paths and join voices on this issue, and that the game will arrive to a climate in which the nudity will backfire on them. I think there is genuine reason to hope for this outcome, given an article like this one from respected online gaming outlet "Kotaku":

https://kotaku.com/at-e3-soulcaliburs-objectified-women-felt-like-a-relic-1826929714

www.spiritblade.com

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is May 15th 2024, 8:59 pm