Christian Geek Central Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Online Community Of Christian Geek Central

5 posters

Aquaman Trailer

AdamCollings
    AdamCollings

Activity : 1755
    Geek-Cred : 11

Aquaman Trailer Empty Aquaman Trailer

Post  AdamCollings July 22nd 2018, 6:33 pm

Honestly. I'm not sure what I'm feeling.
    The visuals look fantastic.
    I'm just not sure what I think about DC in a post-Justice League world.
    I really don't.
    jorowi
    jorowi
    Admin

Activity : 1095
    Geek-Cred : 7

Aquaman Trailer Empty Re: Aquaman Trailer

Post  jorowi July 23rd 2018, 8:47 am

Not interested. DC have botched so much.

Twitter
    Instagram
    Paeter
    Paeter
    Admin

Activity : 8031
    Geek-Cred : 60

Post  Paeter July 23rd 2018, 5:43 pm

yeah... (deep exhale)

With both this and Shazam, t's just so hard to know how much is the tone of the actual movie and how much they are cherry picking to give the TRAILER a certain tone. As with Shazam, I can see myself either loving or... well, maybe not hating this movie, but feeling pretty "meh" about it. Hard to try and see through the agenda of the marketing team to what the movie might ACTUALLY be.

www.spiritblade.com
    mindspike
    mindspike
    Admin

Activity : 1035
    Geek-Cred : 39

Post  mindspike July 24th 2018, 2:50 pm

This is another film that I really, really want to like. Aquaman the Barbarian really looks like it could fire on all cylinders for me. On the other hand....

This looks like it's going to suffer from the same central problem as the crap-fest that was Black Panther. Modern sovereign nations are not ruled by a monarchy with unilateral executive and legislative powers whose governorship can change hands through ritual combat. A single city-state cannot produce enough resources of any kind to create bleeding-edge technology and advanced manufacturing without using magic (magic not actually being out of the question in this case).

On the other hand, isolationist culture and tribal politics does result in paranoia, aggression, and xenophobia. We see it in modern "gangsta" culture and in the historical and modern tribal cultures of North America, South America, and Africa. It makes for a plausible reason that Atlantis would want to go to war with the surface world - if that's what is actually happening in the trailer.

I'm cautiously optimistic about this one.

AdamCollings

Activity : 1755
    Geek-Cred : 11

Post  AdamCollings July 24th 2018, 6:45 pm

Some interesting practical concerns there Winston. I'd love a movie that actually delved into some of that stuff. Explored some of those issues. But given the trailer shows underwater fire, and speaking underwater, I doubt they're going for even the conceit of realism.
    AGoodReed
    AGoodReed

Activity : 835
    Geek-Cred : 4

Post  AGoodReed July 27th 2018, 1:46 am

I'm very interested in this version of Aquaman. I was never a fan of the comics' versions, either the kingly one with short hair or the pirate-looking one with long hair. I did like the silly version from Batman: The Brave and the Bold, and I enjoyed the Throne of Atlantis animated film far more than I was expecting, but I never really wanted a live-action version of either of those.

I didn't like everything Aquaman did in Justice League - especially the way he said, "All right" when Superman showed up - but I was so pleased that he wasn't talking in old English like Thor, I was willing to forgive little bits like that.

I'm also curious to see Dolph Lundgren's performance.
    Paeter
    Paeter
    Admin

Activity : 8031
    Geek-Cred : 60

Post  Paeter August 6th 2018, 12:36 pm

AGoodReed wrote:I'm very interested in this version of Aquaman. I was never a fan of the comics' versions, either the kingly one with short hair or the pirate-looking one with long hair.

My exposure to this character over the years has involved numerous takes of different flavors. So I'm not married to any one interpretation. I think all I care about is make him an interesting character I can care about, and make him capable, so he is not seen as silly or impotent on dry land. Beyond that I'm open to almost anything they want to try.

www.spiritblade.com

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is May 14th 2024, 4:41 am