Christian Geek Central Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Online Community Of Christian Geek Central

4 posters

The true villian of A Christmas Carol

Rickster
    Rickster

Activity : 2338
    Geek-Cred : 16

The true villian of A Christmas Carol Empty The true villian of A Christmas Carol

Post  Rickster December 10th 2010, 10:32 pm

In the story of a Christmas Carol everybody thinks Scrooge is heartless but I disagree the heartless one is his girlfriend Belle. Who breaks ups up with someone on Christmas which is also the anniversary of when they frist met.
    mindspike
    mindspike
    Admin

Activity : 1035
    Geek-Cred : 39

The true villian of A Christmas Carol Empty Re: The true villian of A Christmas Carol

Post  mindspike December 11th 2010, 1:12 am

Interesting idea. Even so, I would think the conflict does not lie between Belle and Scrooge, but between Scrooge and himself. Belle does not act from vindictiveness or malevolence, just from an incredibly Victorian sense of romance. The "villain" in A Christmas Carol is Scrooge's own miserly and unforgiving nature, a combination of envy and selfishness that wishes to cherish and relive the intensity of hurt feelings. By hurting others financially, Scrooge indulges a nature envious of others' situation in life without bettering his own. Though often seen as an archetype for greed, Scrooge has little use or desire for money in its own right, even when still a miser. Because he is selfish, he cannot forgive Belle for breaking up with him. Because he is envious, he wishes to remove from other that which he himself does not possess.

Belle merely suffers from a malady known as "being a teenage girl."

Rickster

Activity : 2338
    Geek-Cred : 16

The true villian of A Christmas Carol Empty Re: The true villian of A Christmas Carol

Post  Rickster December 14th 2010, 3:02 am

Ok so maybe villian was to strong of a word but i still don't think she should have broken up with him on their anniversary/Christmas day and I feel sorry for Scrooge every major event in his life happened on Christmas
    Hackmodford
    Hackmodford
    Tech Admin
    Alliance Director

Activity : 797
    Geek-Cred : 7

Post  Hackmodford December 14th 2010, 9:57 am

I'd say the villain is christmas itself Very Happy

No seriously...

Idea
    Christmas has a pretty nasty history if you care to look into it. I really don't see why someone would "celebrate" christmas. The holiday's origin is uncanny, and the references of pagan holidays in the Old Testament is astounding.

The true villian of A Christmas Carol UntoldAlliancesJPG1_Resized

Goozex: Trade Videogames and save money!
    Paeter
    Paeter
    Admin

Activity : 8031
    Geek-Cred : 60

Post  Paeter December 14th 2010, 3:43 pm

Hackmodford wrote:I'd say the villain is christmas itself Very Happy

No seriously...

Idea
    Christmas has a pretty nasty history if you care to look into it. I really don't see why someone would "celebrate" christmas. The holiday's origin is uncanny, and the references of pagan holidays in the Old Testament is astounding.

I think your point is a valid one. Jesus never asked us to celebrate any holiday, or to celebrate it as it has been celebrated or used in history. Christmas and Halloween can be observed or not observed however we want, regardless of their history.

If someone chooses to enjoy any Holiday or skip any holiday, be it Halloween, Thanksgiving, Christmas or Easter, love and respect for God and what he has given us is always a valid reason.

Here's what Paul has to say about holidays:

One person believes he may eat anything, while the weak person eats only vegetables. Let not the one who eats despise the one who abstains, and let not the one who abstains pass judgment on the one who eats, for God has welcomed him. Who are you to pass judgment on the servant of another? It is before his own master [fn] that he stands or falls. And he will be upheld, for the Lord is able to make him stand. One person esteems one day as better than another, while another esteems all days alike. Each one should be fully convinced in his own mind. The one who observes the day, observes it in honor of the Lord. The one who eats, eats in honor of the Lord, since he gives thanks to God, while the one who abstains, abstains in honor of the Lord and gives thanks to God.
    (Romans 14:2-6)

www.spiritblade.com
    Hackmodford
    Hackmodford
    Tech Admin
    Alliance Director

Activity : 797
    Geek-Cred : 7

Post  Hackmodford December 14th 2010, 3:53 pm

That's a cool scripture Cool

But what about Galations 4:8-11

But at that time, having no knowledge of God, you were servants to those who by right are no gods: But now that you have come to have knowledge of God, or more truly, God has knowledge of you, how is it that you go back again to the poor and feeble first things, desiring to be servants to them again?

you keep days, and months, and fixed times, and years.

I am in fear of you, that I may have been working for you to no purpose.
    ===================

Isn't that an example of a pagan holiday?

I'm sorry, I probably hijacked this thread and should start a new one Embarassed

The true villian of A Christmas Carol UntoldAlliancesJPG1_Resized

Goozex: Trade Videogames and save money!
    Paeter
    Paeter
    Admin

Activity : 8031
    Geek-Cred : 60

Post  Paeter December 15th 2010, 12:49 pm

Hackmodford wrote:That's a cool scripture Cool

But what about Galations 4:8-11

But at that time, having no knowledge of God, you were servants to those who by right are no gods: But now that you have come to have knowledge of God, or more truly, God has knowledge of you, how is it that you go back again to the poor and feeble first things, desiring to be servants to them again?

you keep days, and months, and fixed times, and years.

I am in fear of you, that I may have been working for you to no purpose.
    ===================

Isn't that an example of a pagan holiday?

I'm sorry, I probably hijacked this thread and should start a new one Embarassed

If you want to start a new thread, that would be cool. I'm a bit pressed for time at the moment to try and troubleshoot how to do that again. But to answer your question, like many biblical issues, this one is about context.

In Galatians, Paul is pleading with Jewish Christians not to get caught up in the legalistic philosophy being spread at that time.(Most of the book is Paul's reaction to Christian legalism, not pagan influence.) They were being told by influential teachers that in order to be justified through Christ, they ALSO had to obey the Jewish laws and observe the Jewish holidays of the Old Testament.

This is why Paul refers to observance of these holidays as being "enslaved" in Galatians. The reason they were observing these holidays was to try to further secure their justification before God. Their motives showed a lack of desire to fully trust in God, wanting instead to secure their justification by their own efforts.

In Romans, by contrast, Paul is saying that if you observe or don't observe a holiday with God-honoring motives, it is God-honoring.

Throughout scripture, God is consistently more interested in our hearts and motives than he is in the particular motions we're going through.

www.spiritblade.com

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is May 17th 2024, 4:15 am