Christian Geek Central Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Online Community Of Christian Geek Central

4 posters

Marvel Doing Multiverse With Past Spider-man Movies!?!

Paeter
    Paeter
    Admin

Activity : 8031
    Geek-Cred : 60

Marvel Doing Multiverse With Past Spider-man Movies!?! Empty Marvel Doing Multiverse With Past Spider-man Movies!?!

Post  Paeter December 10th 2020, 12:28 pm

News broke this week that Alfred Molina will be playing Doc Ock again in the next Spider-man movie, that Kirsten Dunst will be playing MJ again, Jamie FOxx is playing Electro again, Andrew Garfield is playing Spider-man again, Tobey Maguire too, if the deal goes through, AND Tom Holland and the usual cast will return in their roles.

Confused?

It is likely because Marvel is starting to play with the Multiverse, as indicated by the revealed subtitle of the next Doctor Strange Movie, "And The Multiverse Of Madness".

A few months ago word was also going around that in the upcoming Flash movie, Michael Keaton would reprise his role of Bruce Wayne/Batman. Who knows who was thinking of it first or if one somehow got word of the other's plans and jumped on the bandwagon. I suspect that it's a "great minds think alike" scenario, given that recent years have primed viewers better than ever to understand and accept parallel reality concepts in mainstream entertainment.

Are you looking forward to these plans for Spider-man? Have you seen "Into The Spider-verse" and are hoping for a live-action version?

Personally, I'm mostly curious. After (kind of) watching the Maguire trilogy again at Thanksgiving, I'm not feeling a need to bring these characters back (from the dead in some cases). Though I'm interested in seeing what happens to the tone of these characters as they inhabit the current Marvel Movie vibe (which admittedly has gained welcome flexibility in tone in recent years).

www.spiritblade.com
    AdamCollings
    AdamCollings

Activity : 1759
    Geek-Cred : 11

Marvel Doing Multiverse With Past Spider-man Movies!?! Empty Re: Marvel Doing Multiverse With Past Spider-man Movies!?!

Post  AdamCollings December 10th 2020, 5:42 pm

I'm curious to see if they can pull this off without it being on-the-nose or silly.
    I've said on the forums before how this is not my preferred way to tell multi-verse stories. Trying to combine separate contradictory tellings of the same character with different actors. It's just not my thing. AT least Andrew Garfield will get the chance to play the role one last time. I felt he was short-changed when his trilogy was prematurely cancelled.

But we'll see. I've really enjoyed the last two Tom Holland movies.

I haven't seen Into The Spiderverse. My son likes it, but from what he's described, I don't think it's for me.

mindspike
    mindspike
    Admin

Activity : 1035
    Geek-Cred : 39

Marvel Doing Multiverse With Past Spider-man Movies!?! Empty Re: Marvel Doing Multiverse With Past Spider-man Movies!?!

Post  mindspike December 10th 2020, 9:56 pm

Into the Spiderverse is a bit hectic and definitely made for the 10-second attention span YouTube audience. It's also a really smart take on the multiverse story.

A live action multiverse movie.... with a cast of characters this big and diverse in tone it's going to be difficult to handle. On the other hand, Marvel made it work with the Avengers movies very well. The biggest hurdle I see is that this is being handled by Sony. I'm not certain how much involvement Marvel Studios has with the creative and production direction.

Regardless, I'll go see it.

AGoodReed

Activity : 835
    Geek-Cred : 4

Post  AGoodReed December 11th 2020, 9:32 am

I loved Into the Spider-Verse, but I don't want to see a live-action version. Stuff like that is perfect for animation. I would rather all these actors reprise their roles in animated form if they're going to do it (except in the case of Andrew Garfield, as I wouldn't mind seeing an Amazing Spider-Man 3 even all these years later).

I generally don't like multiverse stories all that much, even though I pretty much have to read them to follow my favorite superheroes in the DC Universe. I think means less when a character dies if I know there's just another one of him or her out there somewhere.

I think I've made it clear that I'm done with the MCU after Endgame. When I heard rumors that Nicolas Cage might show up as Ghost Rider in the next Doctor Strange movie, I was morbidly curious, but not enough to pay to see it. But this news just seems overdone.
    Paeter
    Paeter
    Admin

Activity : 8031
    Geek-Cred : 60

Post  Paeter December 11th 2020, 11:50 am

mindspike wrote:

A live action multiverse movie.... with a cast of characters this big and diverse in tone it's going to be difficult to handle.

Interesting point! I wonder how big a role they'll play, though. I can see it being a thing where they all come into the play in the movie near the climax for about 10-20 minutes. Sort of like extended cameos. I'd be surprised if they had equal time with the rest of the supporting cast.

www.spiritblade.com

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is May 18th 2024, 10:56 pm