Christian Geek Central Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Online Community Of Christian Geek Central

3 posters

Fantastic Four

AdamCollings
    AdamCollings

Activity : 1755
    Geek-Cred : 11

Fantastic Four Empty Fantastic Four

Post  AdamCollings February 23rd 2021, 4:57 am

So I finally got around to watching the 2015 Fantastic Four movie, you know, the one everybody said was bad.
    Well....turns out .... it totally doesn't suck.
    I was pleasantly surprised.
    It had a more serious creepy tone, especially compared to the previous iteration. I really liked the whole exploration of an alternate dimension thing (although they could have done a lot more with it).
    The characters felt more real than the previous version. And it had some of the physiological realism that Paeter always talks about.

The movie wasn't without flaws, of course. Doctor Doom was a pretty shallow villain. The premise of the character was interesting but it needed to be explored further. They could have added a little runtime to it, and explored Doom's character deeper, given him greater motivation for his turn at the end.
    And there were a couple of cheesy lines near the end.

But all in all I thought it was an enjoyable movie.
    I would have been happy to have a sequel or two to this version.

I'm curious other people's thoughts on this movie.
    Paeter
    Paeter
    Admin

Activity : 8030
    Geek-Cred : 60

Fantastic Four Empty Re: Fantastic Four

Post  Paeter February 23rd 2021, 11:59 am

I couldn't remember what I thought, but I found this!

www.spiritblade.com
    Paeter
    Paeter
    Admin

Post  Paeter February 23rd 2021, 12:01 pm

That said, Adam and I often have overlapping preferences, so it may be worth me giving it another shot at some point.

www.spiritblade.com
    AGoodReed
    AGoodReed

Activity : 834
    Geek-Cred : 4

Post  AGoodReed February 23rd 2021, 1:48 pm

I watched it on an airplane. I just remember that I had a hard time caring about anything that was happening. I didn't think it was utter garbage like everyone said, but it still felt very lacking. And even though I like what Zack Snyder did with Superman, Batman, and Wonder Woman, I don't think I really want to see the Fantastic Four in that kind of environment.

That said, I would be interested in seeing a "Trank Cut" if the every released one. Josh Trank said that the movie he intended to make has never been seen:

Josh Trank reviewing his own movie on Letterboxd wrote:Fant4stic... Huh.

Okay first of all, I thought it would be GREAT if I searched FF2015 and the [expletive] wasn’t even on here. Low key I kinda was hoping it wasn’t. But it was! And I’m here. Anyway. Where to begin...

The movie is ALRIGHT.

I was expecting it to be much worse than it was. I literally haven’t seen it since like two weeks before it came out, and I was in a heavily [expletive] traumatized state of mind. Why? Eh, save that for another time.

Anyway, movie review:

Great cast.

Everyone in the film is a great actor, and overall there is a movie in there, somewhere. And that cast deserves to be in THAT movie. Everyone who worked on Fant4stic clearly wanted to be making THAT movie. But.... ultimately... It wasn’t.

Did I make that movie they deserved to be in?

To be honest?

I can’t tell.

What I can tell is there are TWO different movies in one movie competing to be that movie.

Is there a #releasethetrankcut?

Doesn’t matter.

I’m not Zack Snyder.

Zack Snyder is a storied, iconic, legendary filmmaker who has been knocking it out of the [expletive] park since I was in high school.

Me? Then?

I was 29 years old, making my 2nd film, in a situation more complicated than anything a 2nd time filmmaker should’ve walked into.

That said... I don’t regret any of it.

It’s a part of me.

And I just hope Peyton Reed makes the next Fantastic Four and crushes it. And that I get a cameo.

Anyway, that’s it.

Fant4stic.

https://letterboxd.com/joshuatrank/film/fantastic-four/
    AdamCollings
    AdamCollings

Post  AdamCollings February 23rd 2021, 11:05 pm

So having watched your review, I don't think a re-watch will change your mind on it. lol.

Don't get me wrong, they didn't go full Man of Steel, but they definitely tried to go in that direction. I picked up on the cheesy lines near the end, but you appear to have noticed a lot more than I did. The pacing wasn't an issue for me, neither was the time jump.

I preferred the "Thing" look from this movie. I'm a much bigger CGI lover than you are. Actually, as the credits started to roll on Display+ they showed a Promo for the old Fantastic Four movie and I looked at Ben and thought "Man, he looks so rubbery. I forgot how bad The thing looked in those movies compared to this one." lol.

I think one big different is that you went in with a heart full of hopes but were disappointed they didn't reach full Man of Steel level.
    Whereas I went in with such low expectations, because I hadn't heard a single good thing about it, that I found myself surprised. "Hey, this thing has a more serious tone and visual aesthetic. I really like that."

Plus, I naturally sway positive in my reviews. I tend to cling to what I like and try to forget what I don't like. (Although if a negative stands out to me I do point it out).

Anyway, I'm glad I finally decided to watch it.
    AdamCollings
    AdamCollings

Post  AdamCollings February 28th 2021, 11:23 pm

I think you mentioned in your review above that a better movie to check out would be "Chronicle" but going back I couldn't find the reference.

I actually saw a trailer for Chronicle many years ago, and thought "That looks really cool. I'd like to see that." But then forgot the name and so was never able to find it.

Well, it just appeared on Disney+ as part of their Star sub-service, and I watched it the other night. It was awesome.
    Spoiler:
    but fantastic. First movie I've ever seen that's really made me feel what it might be like to have super powers.
    Paeter
    Paeter
    Admin

Post  Paeter March 1st 2021, 5:30 pm

AdamCollings wrote: It was awesome.

So glad you liked it!!

www.spiritblade.com
    Paeter
    Paeter
    Admin

Post  Paeter March 1st 2021, 5:33 pm

AdamCollings wrote:

I think one big different is that you went in with a heart full of hopes but were disappointed they didn't reach full Man of Steel level.
    Whereas I went in with such low expectations, because I hadn't heard a single good thing about it, that I found myself surprised. "Hey, this thing has a more serious tone and visual aesthetic. I really like that."

Plus, I naturally sway positive in my reviews. I tend to cling to what I like and try to forget what I don't like. (Although if a negative stands out to me I do point it out).

These are such great and important observations. Us opinionated nerds can really chase after that "objective perspective" on entertainment, but if that exists, only God has it. We bring ourselves to the viewing with us! Really appreciate you sharing this.

www.spiritblade.com

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is April 26th 2024, 10:45 pm