Christian Geek Central Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Online Community Of Christian Geek Central

+5
Nathan James Norman
Hackmodford
Paeter
hvymtlcowboy
litera9
9 posters

Doctor Who

litera9
    litera9

Activity : 48
    Geek-Cred : 0

Doctor Who Empty Doctor Who

Post  litera9 January 16th 2011, 4:45 pm

Has anyone else watched the show Doctor Who? I recently discovered the redone version of the show on Netflix Streaming, and have fallen in love with it. The Doctor brings a style of science fiction that is both intelligent, slightly philosophical, yet blending both the light and dark story elements.

It is British, which may make others dislike it. But I find it simply adds character to it. So, what are your thoughts on it?

hvymtlcowboy
    hvymtlcowboy
    Alliance Member

Activity : 125

Doctor Who Empty Re: Doctor Who

Post  hvymtlcowboy January 18th 2011, 5:45 pm

Dude, I have been a Dr. Who fan since before it was cool. It used to come on the PBS station here where I grew up. The special effects were horrid, but it was kind of like watching a play. I loved it. Now, with the high dollar special effects it is just awesome.
    Paeter
    Paeter
    Admin

Activity : 8031
    Geek-Cred : 60

Post  Paeter January 19th 2011, 12:04 am

hvymtlcowboy wrote:Dude, I have been a Dr. Who fan since before it was cool.

Whoa whoa. When did that memo go out? It's cool now?

Wink

www.spiritblade.com
    hvymtlcowboy
    hvymtlcowboy
    Alliance Member

Post  hvymtlcowboy January 19th 2011, 9:34 am

Paeter wrote:

Wink
    I can pretend to be cool. Embarassed
    Paeter
    Paeter
    Admin

Post  Paeter January 19th 2011, 10:57 am

hvymtlcowboy wrote:
    Paeter wrote:

Wink

You're in good company. cheers

www.spiritblade.com
    litera9
    litera9

Post  litera9 January 19th 2011, 3:42 pm

Paeter wrote:
    hvymtlcowboy wrote:
    Paeter wrote:

Wink

You're in good company. cheers

I don't know if you've seen the new series, but it's pretty fun. Though, Paeter, I know you are nitpicky about special effects, and that might bug you. IF you can get past that, you will really enjoy the storytelling, and the like.
    Hackmodford
    Hackmodford
    Tech Admin
    Alliance Director

Activity : 797
    Geek-Cred : 7

Post  Hackmodford January 19th 2011, 5:51 pm

I've always been curious about the show. Kinda reminded me of the hitchhiker's guide. But I don't know where I would start if I were to "jump in" to the series...

Doctor Who UntoldAlliancesJPG1_Resized

Goozex: Trade Videogames and save money!
    Paeter
    Paeter
    Admin

Post  Paeter January 19th 2011, 7:41 pm

litera9 wrote:

I don't know if you've seen the new series, but it's pretty fun. Though, Paeter, I know you are nitpicky about special effects, and that might bug you. IF you can get past that, you will really enjoy the storytelling, and the like.

Actually, my tolerance for bad CGI is much higher for TV, I think. (Not sure why.) I WANT to dig on the doc, but the episodes I've seen are a little too light for my tastes. (I think they were fighting store mannequins or something in one.) I've heard there are some cool dark and serious eps, though. So if the series takes a turn for the consistently dark (probably resulting in a TON of angry "Who" fans) let me know! Wink

www.spiritblade.com
    Nathan James Norman
    Nathan James Norman
    Alliance Member

Activity : 805
    Geek-Cred : 47

Post  Nathan James Norman January 19th 2011, 8:59 pm

I love Doctor Who.

I've learned two things from him:

1. Can be found at this excellent blog post: http://evangelicaloutpost.com/archives/2009/08/america-needs-a-doctor.html#

2. I have learned to have a sense of wonder about the things I do not know . . . not dread.
    hvymtlcowboy
    hvymtlcowboy
    Alliance Member

Post  hvymtlcowboy January 20th 2011, 10:06 am

Paeter wrote:
    litera9 wrote:

Actually, my tolerance for bad CGI is much higher for TV, I think. (Not sure why.) I WANT to dig on the doc, but the episodes I've seen are a little too light for my tastes. (I think they were fighting store mannequins or something in one.) I've heard there are some cool dark and serious eps, though. So if the series takes a turn for the consistently dark (probably resulting in a TON of angry "Who" fans) let me know! Wink

Watch the Episode Titled 'Blink' with David Tennant as the Doctor. Really spooky.
    litera9
    litera9

Post  litera9 January 20th 2011, 3:33 pm

@Paeter, It depends on the episode. Much of the later content takes a creepier tone with giant skin-stealing aliens, gas-based aliens who inhabit dead bodies, and so, so much more. But there are lighter episodes as well. I think it all balances out.
    Paeter
    Paeter
    Admin

Post  Paeter January 20th 2011, 10:21 pm

litera9 wrote:@Paeter, It depends on the episode. Much of the later content takes a creepier tone with giant skin-stealing aliens, gas-based aliens who inhabit dead bodies, and so, so much more. But there are lighter episodes as well. I think it all balances out.

Yeah, I prefer things very "unbalanced" on the side of dark, serious sci-fi. But I think it's extremely cool that the show has been around for so long and has such a gung-ho fan base. I'm extremely jealous that they have a geeky tv show that they love with that kind of insane longevity!

www.spiritblade.com
    Drew.Rub
    Drew.Rub

Activity : 611
    Geek-Cred : 18

Doctor Who Empty Dr. Who

Post  Drew.Rub January 20th 2011, 10:27 pm

My picks for best episodes: (multi-part episodes are seperated with the /)

Empty Child/The Doctor Dances (season 1)

Tooth and Claw (season 2)
    The Girl in the Fireplace (season 2)
    The Impossible Planet/The Satan Pit (season 2)
    Army of Ghosts/Doomsday (season 2)

42 (season 3)
    Utopia/The Sound of Drums/The Last of the Time Lords (season 3)

Silence in the Library/Forest of the Dead (season 4)
    Midnight (season 4), also very creepy
    litera9
    litera9

Post  litera9 January 21st 2011, 8:48 pm

Yeah, I prefer things very "unbalanced" on the side of dark, serious sci-fi. But I think it's extremely cool that the show has been around for so long and has such a gung-ho fan base. I'm extremely jealous that they have a geeky tv show that they love with that kind of insane longevity!

This statement seems vague. Just out of curiousity, What would you define as "dark, serious Sci-fi?" When you say that, you make me think of X-files, which involved a solemn tone, and creepy concepts. On the other end of the spectrum, you have Star Trek, which has it's creepy moments, but each of it's stories are more towards the light side, with few creepy concepts(That doesn't mean that aliens aren't unique or beyond human imagination, they just are not very diabolical). Anyway, I just wanted to know your thoughts on that, as well as anyone else's.
    Paeter
    Paeter
    Admin

Post  Paeter January 22nd 2011, 1:53 am

litera9 wrote:

This statement seems vague. Just out of curiousity, What would you define as "dark, serious Sci-fi?" When you say that, you make me think of X-files, which involved a solemn tone, and creepy concepts. On the other end of the spectrum, you have Star Trek, which has it's creepy moments, but each of it's stories are more towards the light side, with few creepy concepts(That doesn't mean that aliens aren't unique or beyond human imagination, they just are not very diabolical). Anyway, I just wanted to know your thoughts on that, as well as anyone else's.

Sorry, it was a bit vague. And not altogether consistent, either. For example, I LOVE Farscape, which had lots of humor. But it was most often American pop-culture "fish out of water" humor, rather than what I would call "silly" humor. (Like fighting mannequins.) But Farscape is the exception. The sci-fi I love most is dark and bleak. Examples include the recent "Battlestar Galactica" or the movies Dark City, Daybreakers, Equilibrium, or The Book Of Eli. The Sarah Connor Chronicles was another serious sci-fi show that I loved. I also like sci-fi creatures like Aliens and Predator. Usually, my kind of sci-fi blends in some pretty intense violence or even some horror elements.

www.spiritblade.com
    litera9
    litera9

Post  litera9 January 22nd 2011, 7:10 pm

Thank you for clarifying. I think Doctor who is similar to Farscape in the sense of "dark story while having humor". Of course, the show isn't as dark as say, the Sarah Connor Chronicles, but I feel that most of the villains and enemies have lots of darkness, as well as the light humor and relationships between the Doctor and his assistants. And also, I don't think the Mannequins were "silly". They were simply a unique villain, and one that I found fun to watch. But that's just my opinion. The point of this post for me was just to ask if there were any other fans; and there are. I highly recommend the show, since it's entertaining, I feel it's creative and well written, and it's history of shows make it fun to get into.

Post  Guest January 26th 2011, 12:49 am

Ah, somebody mentioned Doctor Who!

Excellent.

litera9, it's neat that you've discovered DW, I'm glad you're enjoying it. It's neat that it's so accessible on netflix.

Seen it, been following it for ages. New and old shows, and hundreds of books in between (I'm really not joking about the books).

On line forum discussions, and talk with the occasional person from England seems to indicate that Doctor Who hit it's heyday in the 1970's. It wasn't necessarily a matter of cool, it was a cultural thing that everybody watched...especially when it was the guy with that really long, multi-colored scarf. Here in the US, nobody ever heard of it...except me, and hardly anyone else I ever met.

The new show did well about appealing to older (and more reasonable) fans, as well as general audiences. The shocker for me these days is how the more prolific exchange of story material internationally has suddenly made me able to talk about it with a larger range of people. These days, Doctor Who is I suppose cool, but in the sense has approached the acceptance of audiences similar to the way it did for the British public in the 1970's.

The first new Doctor, Christopher Ecclestone, was quite extraordinary. The newest actor, Matt Smith, seems to be doing interesting things with his performance as well. The plastic window dummies, they were an interesting choice for villain to start the show, but they were more creepy in the first story they appeared in, long ago. They are the product of writer Robert Holmes, in response to a trend around the time were there was concern about the proliferation of plastic, and the health concerns that might arise from the production and use of plastic (Holmes was regarded as a very clever satirist).

The newer incarnation of the show has it's dark moments, and in some places approached closely some of the needlessly grim bloodbaths that are held up as an example of why the show was failing in the 1980's. The producer who restarted the show, Russell T. Davis, has talked about how he likes to undercut moments of seeming joy with what he describes as a certain sense of British grim realism or pragmatisim (if I am remembering the commentary correctly). Moments such as a miraculous snowing on Christmas Day, which turn out to be the ashes of an enemy alien spaceship destroyed a few hours prior. It's one thing to be dark, it's another thing to cleverly disguise undercurrents of darkness with doses of cheerfulness. It's a family show, but that's not a disadvantage.

Did I overdo it?
    ProfessorAlan
    ProfessorAlan

Activity : 115
    Geek-Cred : 3

Post  ProfessorAlan February 15th 2011, 11:03 am

I am a huge fan of the Doctor, some o fthe old stuff and certainly the new. The latest doctor, Matt Smith, who is coming up on his second season soon, is terrific, as is his cutie-pie of a companion.
    Paeter
    Paeter
    Admin

Post  Paeter February 15th 2011, 6:48 pm

Desert Kris wrote: The producer who restarted the show, Russell T. Davis, has talked about how he likes to undercut moments of seeming joy with what he describes as a certain sense of British grim realism or pragmatisim (if I am remembering the commentary correctly). Moments such as a miraculous snowing on Christmas Day, which turn out to be the ashes of an enemy alien spaceship destroyed a few hours prior.

oooh. That DOES sound cool! There is a sick creature in me that loves to see "Hallmark Moments" destroyed.

www.spiritblade.com
    Nora Freeze
    Nora Freeze

Activity : 16

Post  Nora Freeze April 27th 2011, 8:21 pm

I love Doctor Who!

I absolutely love the old series, and I have watched almost every episode. The show had awful effects sometimes, but when it was good, it was awesome!

I watched a ton of the old series before the new, so I love all the old doctors especially 2, 6 and 7. Although, I know a lot of people would hate on me for liking 6 and 7.

I also love the new series, but it is not the same. I really liked 9 and wish he'd been around a long while. 10 was fantastic, of course.

I am trying to like 11...but Amy is just too sleezy for me. She kind of ruins it.

Anyway, DOCTOR WHO FOREVER! =)

Post  Guest April 29th 2011, 7:26 pm

Nora Freeze wrote:I love Doctor Who!

I absolutely love the old series, and I have watched almost every episode. The show had awful effects sometimes, but when it was good, it was awesome!

I watched a ton of the old series before the new, so I love all the old doctors especially 2, 6 and 7. Although, I know a lot of people would hate on me for liking 6 and 7.

I also love the new series, but it is not the same. I really liked 9 and wish he'd been around a long while. 10 was fantastic, of course.

I am trying to like 11...but Amy is just too sleezy for me. She kind of ruins it.

Anyway, DOCTOR WHO FOREVER! =)

I don't see anything wrong with liking the Sixth and Seventh Doctor. I think number Six gets a bad wrap for so many reasons that were beyond the actor's control: a debut story that set the tone too strongly, clothes that are over-the-top, and a few other things that are debatable. Well, every point is debatable, but here's the thing: I think well of that Doctor.

The same with the Seventh Doctor, I find him intriguing, and he seems like the right Doctor for the older incarnation of the show to end with in a sense: he's the Doctor who is not always bumbling into trouble anymore, he has full control of his TARDIS, is keeping track of pending dangers that need attending to, and he goes in with a plan already in motion. It's like he's finally grown up, taken responsibility, and is at the height of his competence (though still flawed and bumbling, he tries harder). Or at least, there are a couple of stories like that, with a handful of others that superficially hint that this is what is going on.

I can kind of see your point about Amy, which spoils Steven Moffat's reinvention of the Doctor as an imaginary, dark fairy-tale friend who turns out to be real. I just can't hold Amy's character against Matt Smith's performance; aside from the re-conceptualization of the Doctor, he's does interesting things with his approach to the character; very dramatic body language, better at angry moments than David Tennant (In my opinion), and a hint of believable darkness that he holds in check. Separate the Doctor from Amy! Wink
    Nora Freeze
    Nora Freeze

Doctor Who Empty The Doctor's Wife

Post  Nora Freeze May 23rd 2011, 11:28 pm

The second to last episode of Doctor who was one of the best I have seen in a long time. It had a lot of nods back to the old series, and over all just let Matt Smith have a few moments to act his heart out. It was awesome. I couldn't quite follow the story of the monster, but there were just some fantastic character moments...Anyways, anyone else keeping up with the new series?
    UKSteve
    UKSteve

Activity : 354
    Geek-Cred : 10

Post  UKSteve May 24th 2011, 2:11 am

Nora Freeze wrote:The second to last episode of Doctor who was one of the best I have seen in a long time.
    Was that the one written by some bloke called Neil Gaiman?

And yes, I'm loving the new series, although at times I fear it's getting a little too complicated in all it's twisty story-arcy goodness.
    Nora Freeze
    Nora Freeze

Doctor Who Empty Absolutely

Post  Nora Freeze June 28th 2011, 3:39 pm

Yes, the Neil Gaiman episode. It was a bit convoluted, but so what I'd been wanting to see. The Doctor getting to handle something really out of his comfort zone! I was so jazzed about the moment in the Ganger episode where the Doctor's double starts quoting other regenerations! I also loved that Amy was shown to be a jerk...because she's pretty skin-deep in my opinion. Rory didn't die, which is a plus. (That man would get rich with life insurance).
    So...River Song. Trying to decide if I actually care. I mean, it seemed to come from no-where as she seemed to have no interest in her parents in ANY other episode. Oh, I am all frustrated because they keep bringing in gay couples left and right... just about every episode. It bothers me, I mean, it's just so blatantly pushed into this series over and over. *Sigh*
    Anyways, a few thrills and very many disappointments this season. I can only hope that they ditch Amy and River soon and let this poor new Doctor have a moment to really shine! I think he can, but he's constantly being overpowered with the over-bearing warrior-women. (Amy with a cutlass anyone? River shooting people and "You leave the brakes on" GAAAAH!) It's like the 5th Doctor and Tegan all over again...except now Tegan can re-shape the universe and is all sorts of incredibly important. Oh, and she has a crush on him, is married and is a sleazy kiss-o-gram who apparently had no dreams of doing much with her life. At least Tegan just wanted to get to Heathrow and do an honest days work!
    There... I think my rant has ended.
    ...Anyone else's thoughts?

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is May 15th 2024, 5:26 am