Christian Geek Central Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Online Community Of Christian Geek Central

2 posters

Dwayne McDuffie (1962-2011)

mindspike
    mindspike
    Admin

Activity : 1035
    Geek-Cred : 39

Dwayne McDuffie (1962-2011) Empty Dwayne McDuffie (1962-2011)

Post  mindspike March 2nd 2011, 1:43 am

Comic Quest Weekly wrote:DWAYNE MCDUFFIE R.I.P.
    Comic editor, writer and publisher and animation producer and writer Dwayne McDuffie passed away on February 21 due to complications after emergency heart surgery. He was 49. In 1987, he began his career with comics as a special comics editor for Marvel Comics. He eventually started writing comics with Spider-Man and Damage Control. He then created Milestone Media, which published multicultural comics through DC Comics, such as Hardware and Static. After Milestone, he wrote fan-favorite runs on Batman: Legends of the Dark Knight, Justice League of America and Fantastic Four. As for his television work, McDuffie wrote, edited or produced such animated series as What’s New, Scooby-Doo?, Teen Titans, Static Shock (based on the Static comic), Justice League, Ben 10: Alien Force and Ben 10: Ultimate Alien. He also wrote the recently-released All-Star Superman. McDuffie’s effect on comics current multicultural state has been praised. “Dwayne McDuffie left a lasting legacy on the world of comics that many writers can only aspire to. He will not only be remembered as the extremely gifted writer whose scripts have been realized as comic books, in television shows and on the silver screen, but as the creator or co-creator of so many of the much-loved Milestone characters including Static Shock. The industry has lost a true talent,” Dan DiDio, DC Entertainment co-publisher, said in a statement. “[McDuffie] definitely championed bringing a more multicultural and [inclusive] approach to comics,” Tom Brevoort, Marvel Comics senior vice president for publishing, told The New York Times last week. “He put his money where his mouth is, which is to say the things he believed in were reflected in his work and reflected in how he conducted himself.” McDuffie will be missed.

McDuffie's television work in particular was a favorite of mine. Static Shock is one of my favorite superhero cartoons ever. He also wrote the screenplay "for Justice League: Crisis on Two Earths" as an original story. His work on Ben 10: Alien Force, and Ben 10: Ultimate Alien is also standout storytelling. I read some of his work on the original Milestone publications, and quite enjoyed both Static and Icon.

Paeter
    Admin

Activity : 8031
    Geek-Cred : 60

Dwayne McDuffie (1962-2011) Empty Re: Dwayne McDuffie (1962-2011)

Post  Paeter March 2nd 2011, 8:56 pm

I especially loved his work on the Justice League animated series, bringing to bear the essence of so many great characters with so little time to work with. Great stuff.

www.spiritblade.com

Current date/time is May 19th 2024, 1:46 am