Christian Geek Central Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Online Community Of Christian Geek Central

5 posters

coffee and beer

Poll

What kind of drinks do you prefer?

[ 3 ]
    coffee and beer I_vote_lcap60%coffee and beer I_vote_rcap [60%] 
    [ 1 ]
    coffee and beer I_vote_lcap20%coffee and beer I_vote_rcap [20%] 
    [ 1 ]
    coffee and beer I_vote_lcap20%coffee and beer I_vote_rcap [20%] 
    [ 0 ]
    coffee and beer I_vote_lcap0%coffee and beer I_vote_rcap [0%] 
    [ 0 ]
    coffee and beer I_vote_lcap0%coffee and beer I_vote_rcap [0%] 

Total Votes: 5
    mindspike
    mindspike
    Admin

Activity : 1035
    Geek-Cred : 39

coffee and beer Empty coffee and beer

Post  mindspike June 26th 2011, 12:43 pm

In a recent blog post, Paeter stated that he was fond of neither coffee nor beer. I believe he blamed the alcohol for his dislike of beer. See his post, "My first beer."

I have a different theory.

I drink coffee. I mean, I drink coffee. Not that stuff served by baristas in environmentally conscious cups wearing their own cardboard jackets, I mean the kind you spoon out of the decanter two days after its been brewed, add a shot of JD and dollop of cream and drink out of industrial-grade styrofoam so crudely made it still bleeds oil when left in the sun.

Paeter on the other hand seems to enjoy "sody-pop", the kind that comes in recyclable aluminum decorated with nostalgic slogans and whose undrunk leftovers may be safely used as growth-promoting fertilizer.

It's obvious, isn't it? We have different palates.

Some of us enjoy savory drinks, such as coffee, beer, tea, and the like. Some of us enjoy sweet drinks, such as pop, lemonade, and whatever it is they serve in coconuts with the little umbrellas sticking out of the top.

I like umbrellas.

...er...um... of doom!

Rickster

Activity : 2338
    Geek-Cred : 16

coffee and beer Empty Re: coffee and beer

Post  Rickster July 6th 2011, 3:34 am

I used to drink A LOT of soda so for my 2001 new years reasloution I decided to give it and with the exception of accendtly drink out of the wrong cup or a watress giving me a coke instead of a tea I havn't had sods since. (lost 10 pounds by doing it also).
    I've never had a beer but I have done Wine tasting and I'll go to a bar and have a drink once in a while but not that often.
    I'm not a big coffee drink but I can and enjoy it some times
    So my vote was water I drink at least 1 1/2-3 liters a day
    Hackmodford
    Hackmodford
    Tech Admin
    Alliance Director

Activity : 797
    Geek-Cred : 7

Post  Hackmodford July 6th 2011, 9:09 am

I would vote but there's no iced tea on the list...
    But I don't like unsweetened iced tea...

Lipton Lemon Iced Tea for me!
    or Coke....
    Or Arnold Palmer (lemonade + iced tea)

I'm with Paeter on the alcohol/coffee thing...

coffee and beer UntoldAlliancesJPG1_Resized

Goozex: Trade Videogames and save money!
    mindspike
    mindspike
    Admin

Activity : 1035
    Geek-Cred : 39

Post  mindspike July 6th 2011, 11:55 am

Sounds like a "sweet" palate to me, Hack!

@Rickster: just water, all the time!?! I admit I usually have water throughout the day, but I've got to start the morning with coffee, and usually finish the day with hot tea. Kudos on the willpower vs caffeine, though!

Paeter
    Admin

Activity : 8031
    Geek-Cred : 60

Post  Paeter July 6th 2011, 6:41 pm

I think you might be on to something, Mindspike.

I like sweet drinks in general, or water, and I usually like to have them with some salty or salty-sweet food.

But where does coffee fit in? Is there a "bitter, tastes like dirt" palate?

www.spiritblade.com
    Hackmodford
    Hackmodford
    Tech Admin
    Alliance Director

Post  Hackmodford July 7th 2011, 10:31 am

Paeter wrote:
    But where does coffee fit in? Is there a "bitter, tastes like dirt" palate?

LOL I'm guessing Savory...

Post  Guest July 7th 2011, 2:03 pm

First beer, eh? Well, yeah, I can't really see picking up on the taste of beer at this point, and beer is said to be an acquired taste. I haven't acquired it myself, and I'm not too preoccupied with trying. It tastes lousy, of course it does. Frankly, though, I don't think it's the alcohol that's making it a deal breaker. Seriously. I've tried non-alcoholic beer, which tasted exactly the same as regular beer. There is a comparatively pitiful amount of alcohol in beer, you probably would have to drink down two beers to get an noticeable effect, and that doesn't sound appealing at all!

Wine is also kind of meh. Red Wine doesn't impress me, but every once in a while (pretty rarely) a white wine will hit the "sweet spot" and be right on.

Now, please, don't misunderstand me; I am not endorsing full blown alcoholism and all that. But if your going to try and give it a fair shake, in moderation, then a Margarita on ice. Or a hot chocolate with a decent amount of Baileys. Or the hot toddy variant that I'm familiar with. One glass of any of these, you can taste the alcohol (and enables you to legitimately say that it is the alcohol that makes the drink awful taste, IMO). I have never been able to detect the alcohol taste in beer, and only ever the very faintest of aftereffects.

As for coffee, well, again that's very much an acquired taste! I would never drink it black, and even with just a milk type additive it's okay, just. Flavored coffees are a different matter, I enjoy them. But all coffee (all caffine tend to be dehydrating.

In general, my palate tends toward sweeter tasting drinks, with a very few bitter ones that I can handle.

Water is great, though, the most useful drink.
    Hackmodford
    Hackmodford
    Tech Admin
    Alliance Director

Post  Hackmodford July 7th 2011, 2:10 pm

The only alcoholic drink that I've tasted and thought "Yeah I could learn to like this" was Mike's Hard Lemonade (again picking up on the sweet taste bud for lemonade or lemon iced tea)

Paeter seriously, give that stuff a try and let me know what you think Wink Of course it depends on if you like lemony drinks, if you don't nevermind...

Unfortunatley I have to wait about 2 more years before I can acquire my taste for such things Very Happy

Post  Guest July 7th 2011, 2:14 pm

Hackmodford wrote:The only alcoholic drink that I've tasted and thought "Yeah I could learn to like this" was Mike's Hard Lemonade (again picking up on the sweet taste bud for lemonade or lemon iced tea)

Paeter seriously, give that stuff a try and let me know what you think Wink Of course it depends on if you like lemony drinks, if you don't nevermind...

Unfortunatley I have to wait about 2 more years before I can acquire my taste for such things Very Happy

Sure, the hard lemonade would realistic qualifier too.
    Paeter
    Paeter
    Admin

Post  Paeter July 7th 2011, 7:00 pm

Hackmodford wrote:

Paeter seriously, give that stuff a try and let me know what you think Wink

Who's buying? I'd rather just spend the money on lemonade. Or heck, 40 cents for a pouch of generic lemonade koolaide!

www.spiritblade.com
    Rickster
    Rickster

Activity : 2338
    Geek-Cred : 16

Post  Rickster July 7th 2011, 7:22 pm

I was at a sporting event last year that was sponsored by Barefoot wine and they had a wine tasting booth and they had this white wine that was, as the guy working the booth called it, “dangerously sweet” it was the best wine I’ve ever tasted. And I hear they now have a sweet red wine
    Tim
    Tim

Activity : 258
    Geek-Cred : 4

Post  Tim July 8th 2011, 4:18 pm

Honestly, I think I have an addiction...

I buy them by the case and drink them one after another. I could go through a whole case in less than a week. Sometimes I like to keep them cold but often I'm too impatient and just drink them warm. I like them in the can but prefer them in the glass bottle. I think the glass bottle preserves their flavor better. My friends and I usually get together and just knock them back.

I am of course talking about Arizona Green Tea. That stuff is great. I also like the Arizona Fruit Punch, Diet Pepsi and Water. I don't do coffee unless it is cold outside and is loaded with cream and other flavors. I like tea. Honey Chamomile helps me sleep and Earl Grey helps me study.

><>

><> ><> ><> <>< ><> ><>
    Be BOLD

PS 144:1
    1COR 4:20

><>
    Hackmodford
    Hackmodford
    Tech Admin
    Alliance Director

Post  Hackmodford July 8th 2011, 4:35 pm

Tim wrote:Honestly, I think I have an addiction...

I buy them by the case and drink them one after another. I could go through a whole case in less than a week. Sometimes I like to keep them cold but often I'm too impatient and just drink them warm. I like them in the can but prefer them in the glass bottle. I think the glass bottle preserves their flavor better. My friends and I usually get together and just knock them back.

I am of course talking about Arizona Green Tea. That stuff is great. I also like the Arizona Fruit Punch, Diet Pepsi and Water. I don't do coffee unless it is cold outside and is loaded with cream and other flavors. I like tea. Honey Chamomile helps me sleep and Earl Grey helps me study.

><>

Have you tried Arnold Palmer? I started buying it around my local area (only 1 obscure store had it) and now EVERYONE sells it and they usually have more than one row in the cooler at the store...

Tim
    Tim

Activity : 258
    Geek-Cred : 4

Post  Tim July 8th 2011, 4:52 pm

Hackmodford wrote:
    Tim wrote:Honestly, I think I have an addiction...

><>

Have you tried Arnold Palmer? I started buying it around my local area (only 1 obscure store had it) and now EVERYONE sells it and they usually have more than one row in the cooler at the store...

Never even heard of it much less tried it. Gonna have to seek it out. Arizona used to make a pink lemonade. It was the flavor that got me into drinking Arizona Drinks when i was a kid, and then they stopped selling them...

><> ><> ><> <>< ><> ><>
    Be BOLD

PS 144:1
    1COR 4:20

><>
    Paeter
    Paeter
    Admin

Post  Paeter July 8th 2011, 7:50 pm

Tim wrote: Honey Chamomile helps me sleep and Earl Grey helps me study.

><>

Earl Grey... the offical beverage of the Federation and bald starship captains.

www.spiritblade.com

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is May 12th 2024, 9:52 pm