Christian Geek Central Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Online Community Of Christian Geek Central

+2
Rickster
Paeter
6 posters

Should I Produce Audio Books?

mindspike
    mindspike
    Admin

Activity : 1035
    Geek-Cred : 39

Should I Produce Audio Books? - Page 2 Empty Re: Should I Produce Audio Books?

Post  mindspike October 17th 2011, 11:33 pm

::rocks back in his rocking chair, spits out a wad of chaw, and cradles his shotgun in his lap::
    You dang kids get off my lawn with your hot rods and rock and roll!

In the 1970s, Power Records and Peter Pan Records did some dramatized audio productions (on vinyl - that was before... oh never mind) in which a narrator recounted the action, a cast provided the dialog, and sound FX provided the context. Their licenses included both Marvel and DC heroes, as well as Conan the Barbarian, G.I.Joe (alas, not the Real American Hero), the Six-Million Dollar Man, Star Trek, Planet of the Apes and many more. The programs were intended to appeal to pre-teens and elementary school kids, but were scripted by luminaries like Dennis O'Neill, Bill Wells, JM DeMatteis, Stan Lee, and many more. The result was a series of mature stories that were neither too complex for kids nor too simplistic for adults. Admittedly, some were better than others, but several of the shows were surprisingly dark and complex. I have come to appreciate them for their stories, and not just the nostalgia.

A great many of these may be found for free download at the Power Records Plaza archive.
    http://powerrecordsplaza.blogspot.com/

The Dirk Maggs audio dramas were mostly done in the 90s and admittedly spectacular. I was privileged to be in the UK for the broadcast of Superman: Doomsday and Beyond, and bought both that and Knightfall on cassette before I left. Dirk has done a great many excellent audios. You can add Judge Dredd to that list of yours, as well as The Hitch-hiker's Guide to the Galaxy, and several Agatha Christie stories. His production company is making his productions available again on CD, check for them on Amazon!

I would classify the Dirk Maggs productions as "pure audio drama", much like what Paeter has done with "Similitude of a Dream". As for inventing the format, I'd have to argue that honor goes to the pioneers of radio in the 1920s. Orson Welles and the Mercury Theatre on the Air are largely credited for bringing the first high-quality studio productions to audio drama, consisting of an army of musicians and foley artists all performing and recording LIVE. Maggs did great things to revitalize interest in the format, but he stood on the shoulders of giants to get there.

Hackmodford
    Tech Admin
    Alliance Director

Activity : 797
    Geek-Cred : 7

Should I Produce Audio Books? - Page 2 Empty Re: Should I Produce Audio Books?

Post  Hackmodford October 18th 2011, 12:39 pm

Thanks for that link...

Should I Produce Audio Books? - Page 2 UntoldAlliancesJPG1_Resized

Goozex: Trade Videogames and save money!

Current date/time is May 19th 2024, 6:40 am