Christian Geek Central Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Online Community Of Christian Geek Central

+2
Paeter
Nathan James Norman
6 posters

Spirit Blade Card Game

Nathan James Norman
    Nathan James Norman
    Alliance Member

Activity : 805
    Geek-Cred : 47

Spirit Blade Card Game Empty Spirit Blade Card Game

Post  Nathan James Norman October 30th 2011, 10:10 pm

Ok. Who else is totally geeking out over this new card game?! I can't wait! So I have a few questions:

1. From everything I've seen/heard, it sounds like Paeter has created the game rules and dynamics. Is that correct?

2. Who is doing the artwork for the game? Paeter? One Artist? Multiple Artists?

3. What the range of number of players?

Paeter
    Paeter
    Admin

Activity : 8031
    Geek-Cred : 60

Spirit Blade Card Game Empty Re: Spirit Blade Card Game

Post  Paeter October 31st 2011, 8:49 pm

Nathan James Norman wrote:Ok. Who else is totally geeking out over this new card game?! I can't wait! So I have a few questions:

1. From everything I've seen/heard, it sounds like Paeter has created the game rules and dynamics. Is that correct?

2. Who is doing the artwork for the game? Paeter? One Artist? Multiple Artists?

3. What the range of number of players?

Wow! Great questions! Not all of which I can fully answer yet, but I'll give you what I can.

1. Rules and dynamics, yes in part. I started with the "math" behind an out of print board game I like to provide game balance that I don't have the math skills to create from scratch. Then I made a number of changes to adapt the math to a card game format, some of which were superficial and some of which were mechanical changes. So the final overall "design" of the game you could say is mine, but there are bits of other games in there and I'll be the first to say I stood on the shoulders of game design giants to get the finished rules.

2. The art for the game is primarily by a single artist, though not completely. I took a cue from games like "Doom: The Boardgame" which use computer generated art, and found that this format allows for combining the art of different artists while still maintaining a consistent look and feel to the over all presentation. Much like working with sound effects, I took a wide variety of images and stitched them together to create the card layouts, etc.

3. Can't answer this one yet. It depends some on the skill level of players. It will likely be 2-5 players, with beginning players playing in a larger game and advanced players playing one on one. I'm also hoping to figure out Solitaire rules, but I'm not sure how likely that is. More details soon as I get into discussing gameplay mechanics on the blog! spiritblade.net/blog

www.spiritblade.com
    WhiteBoy
    WhiteBoy

Activity : 855
    Geek-Cred : 12

Post  WhiteBoy November 1st 2011, 12:46 am

Yeah, it sounds pretty sweet to me, too. I'm looking forward to checking it out! Great questions and answers...Thanks! Is there a game to compare it to in order to gain a point of reference? Would the Doom game you talk about be a close comparison for gameplay or only for the art?

Admin

Post  Paeter November 1st 2011, 2:45 pm

WhiteBoy wrote:Yeah, it sounds pretty sweet to me, too. I'm looking forward to checking it out! Great questions and answers...Thanks! Is there a game to compare it to in order to gain a point of reference? Would the Doom game you talk about be a close comparison for gameplay or only for the art?

The general structure/objective of the game has a lot in common with dungeon crawling board games like Doom: The Board Game, HeroQuest and Descent: Journeys In The Dark. It's much faster paced than those games and is in a card game format rather than a board game. But that is the category of game I would place it in. Dungeon crawling elements like combat, "traps", "looting" and upgrading equipment are all present mechanically, but look differently in some cases than they would in the games I mentioned.

www.spiritblade.com
    CreatorsPixels
    CreatorsPixels

Activity : 236
    Geek-Cred : 8

Post  CreatorsPixels November 2nd 2011, 8:09 am

The general structure/objective of the game has a lot in common with dungeon crawling board games like Doom: The Board Game, HeroQuest and Descent: Journeys In The Dark...

I just this weekend got my kids hooked on HeroQuest! Found a copy on craigslist for $40!! Quite fun, can't wait for your version of it! I did notice the "SpiritBlade" Artifact, any relation??
    Hackmodford
    Hackmodford
    Tech Admin
    Alliance Director

Activity : 797
    Geek-Cred : 7

Post  Hackmodford November 2nd 2011, 9:05 am

The time traveling hooligans stole Paeters idea affraid

Spirit Blade Card Game UntoldAlliancesJPG1_Resized

Goozex: Trade Videogames and save money!
    Paeter
    Paeter
    Admin

Post  Paeter November 2nd 2011, 5:47 pm

CreatorsPixels wrote:
    The general structure/objective of the game has a lot in common with dungeon crawling board games like Doom: The Board Game, HeroQuest and Descent: Journeys In The Dark...

I just this weekend got my kids hooked on HeroQuest! Found a copy on craigslist for $40!! Quite fun, can't wait for your version of it! I did notice the "SpiritBlade" Artifact, any relation??

To this day I'm still not sure, to be honest. I'd been playing the game for years, so maybe the phrase "Spirit Blade" was more likely to bubble to the surface as I looked for a different way to describe the book of Ephesians' "Sword Of The Spirit". It just seemed like the coolest way to rephrase that, but I have no idea if I would have thought of it if I'd never played the game. Who knows!

But I CAN say that the subtitle for Spirit Blade: Dark Ritual was inspired by a black mana producing card from "Magic: The Gathering"! So that title has game nerd written all over it!

www.spiritblade.com
    ProfessorAlan
    ProfessorAlan

Activity : 115
    Geek-Cred : 3

Post  ProfessorAlan November 5th 2011, 8:01 pm

Looking forward to the card game -- definitely planning to acquire come 2012.
    CreatorsPixels
    CreatorsPixels

Post  CreatorsPixels November 15th 2011, 8:37 am

Sounds pretty cool...how long till we get to see some artwork for it?
    Paeter
    Paeter
    Admin

Post  Paeter November 15th 2011, 1:57 pm

CreatorsPixels wrote:Sounds pretty cool...how long till we get to see some artwork for it?

I am chronicling the development of the game and showcasing cards and info at The Spirit Blade Underground Weblog. (spiritblade.net/blog)

At least once a month I'll be showing a new card and sharing more about the game.

I've already posted on the game twice, showing a different card each time. You can check those posts out here:

http://spiritblade.blogspot.com/2011/10/spirit-blade-adventure-card-game.html

http://spiritblade.blogspot.com/2011/11/taking-risksthe-shifter-card.html

You can use the e-mail subscribe option on the blog page if you want to be sure you don't miss out on future posts about the game.

www.spiritblade.com
    CreatorsPixels
    CreatorsPixels

Post  CreatorsPixels November 15th 2011, 4:31 pm

Cool thanks!! They block blogspot here at work, that must be why I missed it. I'll check it out tonight! Thanks!

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is May 12th 2024, 5:25 pm