Christian Geek Central Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Online Community Of Christian Geek Central

+5
cleireac
WhiteBoy
Drew.Rub
orvette1
ComiKate
9 posters

Hi there, it's me :-)

ComiKate
    ComiKate

Activity : 410
    Geek-Cred : 21

Hi there, it's me :-) Empty Hi there, it's me :-)

Post  ComiKate July 1st 2012, 6:45 pm

Hello, great to be here!

I've listened to the SB podcast for a couple of months now, and I LOVE it!

My name is Katja, I'm from the Netherlands, and I'm about as geeky as they come, I think Rolling Eyes
    And it's getting worse! What a Face

I love my SF&F, I collect my favorite movies and series on DVD (since I'm also somewhat of a hamster, wanting to collect all kinds of stuff) and since I've started reading comics about 6 months ago, I'm completely HOOKED.

Ok, here are only a few of my faves:
    Movies:
    Star Wars (all six of them, plus the animated one about the Clone Wars)
    Star Trek (loved the latest reboot)
    Lord of the Rings
    Tomb Raider
    I am number four
    All superhero movies (Iron Man, Thor, Captain America, Green Lantern, the Avengers, well, etc etc)
    Prometheus (wow)

Series:
    Battlestar Galactica (all seasons)
    Star Gate Atlantis (all seasons)
    Star Gate Universe (why did that stop after only 2 seasons?!)
    Dune (miniseries)
    Game of Thrones
    Spartacus (all seasons, though the first was actually the best)

Animated series:
    Green Lantern Animated Series
    Reboot (animated series)
    Star Wars Clone Wars (all seasons)
    Gatchaman (the original Japanese version, all three seasons) - I am actually quite besotted by this anime, true fangirl speaking here
    Beast Wars

DC Comics:
    All things Green Lantern (Paeter is right: GL is awesome!)
    Aquaman
    Justice League
    Action Comics
    Batman (several titels)
    and about 20 other New 52 titles

Marvel Comics:
    Ultimate Comics Ultimates (wow)
    Secret Avengers
    and I'm about to embark on Fear Itself with lots of tie-ins

LOTS of other comics (which I'll perhaps talk about in future topics)

Books:
    Everything Isaac Asimov
    Several titles by Ted Dekker
    Dune - all series, both the original six titles and all other titles as continued by Frank's son
    Tolkien, of course (Hobbit, LotR, Silmarillion)

Other nerdy stuff:
    bought my first Green Lantern ring recently (how silly is that)
    had some comics printed on t-shirts, singlets and even a hooded jacket (every lantern symbol)
    skinned my iPad with a scene from Odym (with Hal and Saint Walker)
    skinned my iPod nano with scenes from GL New Guardians (see pic below)

Hi there, it's me :-) Nano-1024

Ok, this is getting too weird. alien I'll stop now!

Oh, and one more not-so-nerdy-but-perhaps-a-tiny-bit-silly thing: I breed guinea pigs for fun - and of course every one of them (I always have about 23-28 animals) has a biblical name sunny.

So, looking forward to meeting you all (y'all?) and contributing to this forum/community! bounce

orvette1
    orvette1

Activity : 60
    Geek-Cred : 3

Hi there, it's me :-) Empty Hello

Post  orvette1 July 2nd 2012, 2:25 am

all the Star Wars movies! The only good ones were the first 3. But I'm glad you joined us. I hope you like my retro movie reviews. If you know of a movie I should review let me know. It should be off beat and not new. I hope you enjoy what is going on.
    Drew.Rub
    Drew.Rub

Activity : 611
    Geek-Cred : 18

Hi there, it's me :-) Empty Re: Hi there, it's me :-)

Post  Drew.Rub July 2nd 2012, 6:55 am

ComiKate wrote:Hello, great to be here!

Series:
    Star Gate Atlantis (all seasons)
    Star Gate Universe (why did that stop after only 2 seasons?!)

So, looking forward to meeting you all (y'all?) and contributing to this forum/community! bounce

Welcome to the forums. Glad to have you in the community.

And to answer your above question; it's because some idiots at the Sci Fi network seem to think that wrestling is more interesting to their viewers than actual science fiction writing. They apparenlty lost touch with their actual viewership for what constitutes good television and replaced it with what makes $.
    WhiteBoy
    WhiteBoy

Activity : 855
    Geek-Cred : 12

Post  WhiteBoy July 2nd 2012, 10:29 am

Welcome to the forums, ComiKate. Sounds like you have lots of similar tastes with everyone else here. I'm a big Star Wars fan, too. I like the prequel trilogy for the most part (not that they don't have some flaws, of course), but think they have a different feel than the original trilogy. Episode III had the closest feel to the original trilogy, IMHO.

I'm not much of a reader, but the Lord of the Rings movies are right up there with Star Wars in my book.

You mentioned your guinea pigs... I have an interest in cheesemaking. I've just started, and honestly need to work on it some more because I haven't done any in a few weeks. But that's something odd that's interesting to me.

Activity : 388
    Geek-Cred : 7

Post  cleireac July 2nd 2012, 11:05 am

Welcome aboard! I just threw some Geek Cred your way to get you started.
    ComiKate
    ComiKate

Post  ComiKate July 2nd 2012, 6:26 pm

WhiteBoy wrote:I like the prequel trilogy for the most part (not that they don't have some flaws, of course), but think they have a different feel than the original trilogy. Episode III had the closest feel to the original trilogy, IMHO.
    I agree completely - liked the movies, different feel, ep. III the best. Episode III actually moved me, in a sad way: somehow it struck a cord to witness Anakin go through his own personal Fall. I found some symbolism there - especially since in the movie Anakin's Fall has extreme consequences, both in his behaviour (becoming a genocidal tyrant) and in the absolute hopelessness that slowly takes over his soul. Aren't we all like Anakin, in a sense? Maybe we're not serial killers (although in light of Matthew 5 (:21-22) that remains to be seen) but we've fallen nonetheless. I know I have, many times, and deeply. Where would we be without the daily, saving grace of our Lord Jesus? Right where Anakin is at the end of Ep. III, all the way up to the end of Ep. VI: Lost.
    Guess in some strange sense he reminded me of me. So yeah, I actually cried at his Fall....

WhiteBoy wrote:You mentioned your guinea pigs... I have an interest in cheesemaking. I've just started, and honestly need to work on it some more because I haven't done any in a few weeks. But that's something odd that's interesting to me.
    That's great! As a girl from the land of cheese I say: Yea to cheese-making!!! I think it's awesome you even know how to do that (I don't) so you should totally get back into that! So, here's me cheering you on: cheers bounce sunny cheers

cleireac wrote:Welcome aboard! I just threw some Geek Cred your way to get you started.
    Thanks! flower
    But ehm.... what is "geek cred" and what cool geeky stuff can I buy with it? albino

cleireac
    cleireac

Activity : 388
    Geek-Cred : 7

Post  cleireac July 2nd 2012, 8:06 pm

If you look to the left of thus reply, you'll see my profile. Included is the level of 'Geek Credit' I've gotten. To my knowledge it's really not worth much, but it sure looks good!
    Paeter
    Paeter
    Admin

Activity : 8030
    Geek-Cred : 60

Post  Paeter July 3rd 2012, 7:00 pm

Welcome, ComiKate!

We've got lots of geekery in common!
    That Dune mini-series is a gem that more people should see! In fact you're making me want to watch my copy again!

I'm a little divided on the Star Wars prequels. I actually enjoy much of the first movie when I skip the scenes/characters I don't like. I skip fewer in Ep. 2. (Mainly just Anakin and Padme in the field.) And I'll probably get mocked or condemned for this, but Ep. 3 is my favorite of all SIX Star Wars movies.

And I've got to surrender some serious Geek Cred to you on the comic book front. You're currently buying more than twice the number of DC books I am!

I'm not sure I have any geek cred at the moment. But I'm an admin, so if I can figure out how to give myself more, I'll give you some so you can... go buy...holes or opinions or something of equal worth. (Cleireac is right. It's not good for much.)

Welcome again!

www.spiritblade.com
    DNArington
    DNArington

Activity : 806
    Geek-Cred : 28

Post  DNArington July 3rd 2012, 8:24 pm

ComiKate wrote:

All superhero movies (Iron Man, Thor, Captain America, Green Lantern, the Avengers, well, etc etc)

Welcome Katja!!

Yes superheros are awesome!! Have you seen The Amazing Spider-Man? I thought it was great!!
    ComiKate
    ComiKate

Post  ComiKate July 4th 2012, 4:41 am

DNArington wrote:Yes superheros are awesome!! Have you seen The Amazing Spider-Man? I thought it was great!!

It's only been out in the Netherlands for a week and I haven't seen it yet - but I will of course!
    Hopefully next week.
    tmorrill
    tmorrill

Activity : 405
    Geek-Cred : 20

Post  tmorrill July 5th 2012, 11:31 am

Welcome! You ever watched Babylon 5 or Farscape? Also how'd you find out about Spirit Blade?
    ComiKate
    ComiKate

Post  ComiKate July 6th 2012, 8:27 am

I haven't seen Babylon 5 nor Farscape, alas.
    I discovered SpiritBlade podcast "coincidentally", stumbling across it while surfing through iTunes looking for nice additions to my podcast subscriptions. I was already listening to FutureQuake (no longer running, unfortunetaly) and I don't remember what exactly my search words were, but there it was, Spirit Blade. I listened to the (backlogged) first episode to get an idea, and I've been hooked ever since, which has now been about a little under a year, I think.

I've recently bought the audio dramas as well, both Spirit Blade and Dark Ritual. Listened to Spirit Blade during a short holiday in Greece, lying by the pool, which was awesome!

Haven't found the time (and peace & quiet) to listen to DR yet, so that's still patiently waiting for me on my iPod.

Rickster
    Rickster

Activity : 2338
    Geek-Cred : 16

Post  Rickster July 6th 2012, 3:20 pm

ComiKate wrote:
    Haven't found the time (and peace & quiet) to listen to DR yet, so that's still patiently waiting for me on my iPod.

I Haven't been able to listen to DR in one sitting. I always have to stop and continue again later.

Also welcome to the boards

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is April 28th 2024, 5:56 pm