Christian Geek Central Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Online Community Of Christian Geek Central

+2
WhiteBoy
Rickster
6 posters

A 3rd Hobbit movie

Rickster
    Rickster

Activity : 2338
    Geek-Cred : 16

A 3rd Hobbit movie Empty A 3rd Hobbit movie

Post  Rickster July 26th 2012, 4:22 am

I found an article talking about how Peter Jackson might make the Hobit into a trlogy

What are your thoughts about that if it's true?

http://social.entertainment.msn.com/movies/blogs/the-hitlist-blogpost.aspx?post=129be8cf-3379-4305-b96e-8abfd2d81da0
    WhiteBoy
    WhiteBoy

Activity : 855
    Geek-Cred : 12

A 3rd Hobbit movie Empty Re: A 3rd Hobbit movie

Post  WhiteBoy July 26th 2012, 2:58 pm

I admittedly haven't read all the article yet, but my general impression is that it's a money-grab by the movie production companies trying to milk popular movies for everything they can get. I didn't see a problem in having the Hobbit as two movies because I figure the material is there and could support two movies. I have doubts about it being able to cover a trilogy, though. I mean, you're trying to create the same amount of movie as Lord of the Rings with only one book as source material vs. three books! Maybe if he brought in some other stuff from the Simirilion (sp?) to help fill in? Anyway...just my thoughts. If the story demands it, go for it. If you're just being greedy trying to get people to go to three movies instead of two... the quality will likely suffer.

Admin

Activity : 8031
    Geek-Cred : 60

Post  Paeter July 26th 2012, 3:19 pm

Haven't read the article yet either, but maybe what they're thinking is more along the lines of editing. Releasing it as three 90 minute movies instead of two 2 hr 15 minute movies?

Much easier way to grab money than writing and shooting more material.

www.spiritblade.com
    DNArington
    DNArington

Activity : 806
    Geek-Cred : 28

Post  DNArington July 28th 2012, 1:16 am

Note: I have not see the Lord of the Rings trilogy and therefore I honestly am not all that excited for The Hobbit

I've heard that Tolkin had a lot of extra notes about The Hobbit and that world and Peter Jackson is using those notes for a potential third.
    Drew.Rub
    Drew.Rub

Activity : 611
    Geek-Cred : 18

Post  Drew.Rub July 28th 2012, 8:29 am

DNArington wrote:Note: I have not see the Lord of the Rings trilogy and therefore I honestly am not all that excited for The Hobbit

Before I force you to turn in your geek card, why haven't you seen this trilogy yet? It's fantastic! A little long and a little slow in places, but generally and overaall awesome!

Post  Guest July 28th 2012, 11:28 pm

DNArington wrote:Note: I have not see the Lord of the Rings trilogy and therefore I honestly am not all that excited for The Hobbit

I've heard that Tolkin had a lot of extra notes about The Hobbit and that world and Peter Jackson is using those notes for a potential third.

What the flip? Not seen Lord of the Rings. Huh. I'm afraid Drew called it, turn in your geek card. What the heck, man, you've got more geek credits than I have! Iluvatar's sake. Razz Laughing

Peter Jackson has tapped into the Appendices at the end of LotR, which gives the wider background of the world behind the story of The Hobbit. Notes? Notes?!! Shocked
    WhiteBoy
    WhiteBoy

Post  WhiteBoy July 30th 2012, 4:21 pm

/agreed. Had to give a -1 to geek cred on that one. Razz I am interested to hear why you haven't seen it, though.

Post  DNArington July 30th 2012, 11:03 pm

The main reason I haven't seen LOTR is because my mom is very much aginst magic in movies, and honestly I don't like magic in movies for multiple reasons*, so I don't watch very many movies with magic. I will occasionally, but for the most part I pass on them. I want to see the trilogy sometime because everyone says they are so awesome, but as of yet I haven't.

*A couple reasons I dislike magic in movies:

God hates magic. He says so pretty clearly in the Bible. That is the main reason.

When magic is presented as a good or even nuteral it irks me in the same way that if sleeping around was looked on as a good thing. It dosn't bother me much if magic is considered wrong or evil in the stroy.

I grew up thinking that magic in movies was bad, so it is kind of ingrained in my skull.

Post  Guest July 31st 2012, 1:00 am

DNArington wrote:The main reason I haven't seen LOTR is because my mom is very much aginst magic in movies, and honestly I don't like magic in movies for multiple reasons*, so I don't watch very many movies with magic. I will occasionally, but for the most part I pass on them. I want to see the trilogy sometime because everyone says they are so awesome, but as of yet I haven't.

Gotcha. Feel free to disregard my fairly mild nerd rage (or joking around). All kidding aside, if you feel that way, then beyond what you've said I wouldn't worry about justifying not seeing them, and just continue not seeing them. Maybe that's best.
    Drew.Rub
    Drew.Rub

Activity : 611
    Geek-Cred : 18

Post  Drew.Rub July 31st 2012, 8:46 am

DNArington wrote:*A couple reasons I dislike magic in movies:

God hates magic. He says so pretty clearly in the Bible. That is the main reason.

I grew up thinking that magic in movies was bad, so it is kind of ingrained in my skull.

Prefectly justifiable reasons for you. Certainly can't fault you for having that stance and glad to know you stand up to it. Please don't take the 'jabbing' personally.
    DNArington
    DNArington

Post  DNArington July 31st 2012, 11:00 pm

I should also add that I don't judge or look down on people that do watch movies that contains magic. I don't really have a problem with that, so don't feel like I'm judging you guys.

Anyway, back to The Hobit sequel...er...threequel...

Post  Guest August 1st 2012, 1:43 am

DNArington wrote:Anyway, back to The Hobit sequel...er...threequel...

Actually, this makes me think of an MTV skit that is included as an easter egg on The Return of the King Extended DVD. In it, Ben Stiller (playing a fictional New Line Cinema executive) coins the phrase quadruplogy. Laughing

Since LotR didn't make the cut, and they're contemplating squeezing three movies out of a single, smaller book, they might as well go for a full Shark Jump. I want a quadruplogy. Shocked
    WhiteBoy
    WhiteBoy

Post  WhiteBoy August 1st 2012, 11:03 am

Drew.Rub wrote:Prefectly justifiable reasons for you. Certainly can't fault you for having that stance and glad to know you stand up to it. Please don't take the 'jabbing' personally.

Exactly what Drew said. I feel a bad now for hacking on you about it. Please don't take it as on offense... I didn't intend it that way. As a matter of fact, if that is what you think the Lord wants you to do, I encourage you to stick by your conviction unless the Lord leads you otherwise.

Post  DNArington August 1st 2012, 11:46 am

It's all good, no need to feel bad. I actually had a good laugh when I saw all the posts about it! lol!

It looks like the third Hobbit film is confirmed!
    Here is a link to the article: http://screenrant.com/hobbit-3-movie-trilogy/
    Dunadwarf
    Dunadwarf

Activity : 218
    Geek-Cred : 5

Post  Dunadwarf September 10th 2012, 12:44 pm

DNArington wrote:When magic is presented as a good or even nuteral it irks me in the same way that if sleeping around was looked on as a good thing. It dosn't bother me much if magic is considered wrong or evil in the stroy.

I fully agree with you. However, as something of a Tolkien scholar (though nowhere NEAR what my girlfriend is) perhaps I can assuage your concerns a bit. The only good magic users in the story are Wizards (angels sent from God centuries ago to help the good guys), Elves (a unique race that is continually contrasted with humans and clearly distinct) or other special exceptions (like Tom Bombadil, which is a full Tolkien debate in its own right, but also not in the movies, so no worries there). The other fantastic elements that aren't just matters of nature in this world (racial tendencies, talking animals, etc.) are more matters of being authority to use a special object or something like that.
    Most of the magic in the story is used by evil, and it always corrupts and ruins. Some good people used magic they weren't authorized to (I won't spoil it for you if you do decide to watch the movies) and it ALWAYS corrupts them. The good magic, as I said, are used by non-humans or specially-authorized humans. Also, the magical forces of this universe are far more Judeo-Christian in concept than in most fantasy, like Harry Potter. Magic is tied in with authority and obedience to God and/or His designated proxies.
    I, too, had avoided the books for fear of taking part in occultism, until my pastor pointed out to me that J.R.R. Tolkien was a devout Christian his whole life. He specifically states in the foreword his book that he wrote no deeper meaning in his story, but his values still come through.
    I would not dare to suggest that you violate your own limits, but if decide that you want to try these movies out, maybe these facts will help you feel a bit more at ease.
    DNArington
    DNArington

Post  DNArington September 10th 2012, 5:57 pm

Dunadwarf wrote:
    I would not dare to suggest that you violate your own limits, but if decide that you want to try these movies out, maybe these facts will help you feel a bit more at ease.

Thanks! Smile

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is May 15th 2024, 1:04 pm