Christian Geek Central Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Online Community Of Christian Geek Central

+3
Paeter
DNArington
Nathan James Norman
7 posters

In Appreciation of Spirit Blade Productions

Nathan James Norman
    Nathan James Norman
    Alliance Member

Activity : 805
    Geek-Cred : 47

In Appreciation of Spirit Blade Productions Empty In Appreciation of Spirit Blade Productions

Post  Nathan James Norman July 30th 2012, 7:19 pm

Hey fellow bladers. I thought it would be good to start a thread where we could geek out on Spirit Blade Productions and communicate our appreciation for the company, the podcast, the individual dramas and Paeter himself.

Here's some things we could post about (but not limited to):

- How did you come across SBP?
    - How has a particular drama, podcast, review affected you?
    - What's the first thing you think of when you think of SBP?
    - What get's you excited about SBP?
    - What do you like most about Paeter?
    - Why are you thankful for SBP?
    - How many times have you listened to a particular audio drama/song?
    - How many friends have you turned on to SBP?
    DNArington
    DNArington

Activity : 806
    Geek-Cred : 28

In Appreciation of Spirit Blade Productions Empty Re: In Appreciation of Spirit Blade Productions

Post  DNArington August 1st 2012, 12:09 am

Paeter,
    When I listened to Spirit Blade for the first time and when all was said and done, it left me stunned, but not for the reasons you might think. It wasn't because of the great story and interesting characters, which it totally has. It wasn't even for the spectacular action sequences, the likes of which I didn't know you could even have in an audiodrama. When I finished Spirit Blade for the very first time, it left me thinking, "Wow! Our God is so amazing! He sacrificed so much for a scumbag like me, because he loves me that much!" It blew my mind! It still does!
    I already knew and believed that God gave His only son to become a man and die a brutal death to save the world from sin and eternal damnation, but it never quite hit me like it did when I listened to Spirit Blade. You were coming at me from my geeky level of thinking and I was unprepared for what I was listening to. The scene of the cross is so powerful, it floored me!
    I just want to give you a heartfelt thank you for what you do at Spirit Blade Productions, Paeter. I know it is a lot of hard work, but I believe in what you are doing. Thank you!
    Paeter
    Paeter
    Admin

Activity : 8031
    Geek-Cred : 60

In Appreciation of Spirit Blade Productions Empty Re: In Appreciation of Spirit Blade Productions

Post  Paeter August 1st 2012, 4:53 pm

DNArington wrote:
    I already knew and believed that God gave His only son to become a man and die a brutal death to save the world from sin and eternal damnation, but it never quite hit me like it did when I listened to Spirit Blade. You were coming at me from my geeky level of thinking and I was unprepared for what I was listening to. The scene of the cross is so powerful, it floored me!

Thanks so much for sharing that with me, DNArington. It literally brought overwhelming emotion and tears when I read your words. That's exactly what I hoped to do with that material. I'm so grateful God used it in that way for you.

www.spiritblade.com
    Nathan James Norman
    Nathan James Norman
    Alliance Member

Activity : 805
    Geek-Cred : 47

Post  Nathan James Norman August 29th 2012, 9:11 am

*****Spoiler Alert for Spirit Blade: Dark Ritual*****

I'm hoping we'll keep this thread going. I'm going to get a little heavy here, but other posters feel free to keep it light.

A few years ago I found myself in a situation where I had been grievously sinned against, by the same Christian man, numerous times. What made things worse was that he also maliciously slandered me to other believers. The result of this was personally catastrophic. Not only was my ministry impacted (I am convinced there are people who did not hear the gospel because of this), but my wife and I lost friends who to this day consider us their enemies (although I do not feel that way about them in return).

This Christian man was in the wrong, and he suffered no direct consequences. In fact, the consequences he should have experienced were only being experienced by me.

I was hurt, angry and furious. Where is the justice? I knew I hadn't lived my life perfectly, but I dedicated it to God and made numerous financial, personal and geographic sacrifices to go where he had called me . . . only to have a wicked man demonize me, a community believe it, and this same man treated like a hero.

I met with a mentor once a week to help me navigate through all the decisions I had to make (many of which would effect a very large number of people, not just me and my wife). I am utterly thankful for my mentor, he helped me make godly decisions, validated my pain, and helped me to very clearly see that I didn't deserve the demonization that had happened to me.

Even though my mentor and I talked about my anger at this Christian man, I couldn't articulate what I was actually feeling, nor the extent to my deep, deep, deep and abiding hurt. I felt betrayed by the Church, by this man, by my former friends and by God Himself.

I found myself re-listening to Spirit Blade series while driving (my very long commutes).

In Dark Ritual, towards the end, when Merikk has an opportunity to kill Saolos, the man who deceived, used, humiliated, dehumanized and tortured, tortured, tortured him, Saolos says something to the effect of "You have to do this Merikk. I need to be punished for what I did. I should be punished." Then with all his rage (and some help from exploding SFX) Merikk drops his scythe (as I picture it) and realizes that Yesu died on the Cross to pay for all sin. Merikk realized "Someone has been punished. Someone has been punished."

I had to pull my car over on the busy highway. I was in tears . . . weeping actually. The story had burrowed past my defenses - I wanted this man to be punished for what he had done. I wanted vengeance. I wanted him to pay!

But someone - Jesus - had already been punished for what he did.

Intellectually I had known all of that. But spiritually and emotionally I couldn't let it go until, with my defenses down, I identified with Merikk who was humiliated and tortured in some of the worst ways (seriously Paeter, you're messed up!), and didn't take vengeance because "someone already had been punished."

In all honesty, I still struggle from time to time with what happened. There's still some fallout effects that I feel from the entire scenario. The Christian man, last I checked, is not interested in reconciliation and does not believe he sinned against me. But I'm no longer desiring vengeance and I can honestly say that I actively hope for his well-being and pray for God's blessings in his life.

It took a story . . . Dark Ritual . . . to get me here and to teach my heart and emotions what by brain already knew, but wasn't ready to accept.

Thank you Paeter and everyone involved in SB Productions.
    Rickster
    Rickster

Activity : 2338
    Geek-Cred : 16

Post  Rickster August 29th 2012, 4:55 pm

That was a great story Nathan
    People like your former friend is one of the reasons I'm iffy about going into the professional Christianity buisness.
    Paeter
    Paeter
    Admin

Activity : 8031
    Geek-Cred : 60

Post  Paeter August 29th 2012, 10:06 pm

I feel a little awkward posting on this thread. I'd rather just let whoever wants to comment do so, while I stay out of the way. So I'll probably do that mostly if this thread is added to. But I did want to say thank you for sharing that Nathan. I still have the e-mail from when you shared it with me the first time.

Whether it's heavy stuff like that, or lighter stuff like "cool podcast!", the affirmation of God's movement or the simple "atta boys" keep me going through the rough spots.

www.spiritblade.com
    Rickster
    Rickster

Activity : 2338
    Geek-Cred : 16

Post  Rickster August 29th 2012, 11:46 pm

- How did you come across SBP?
    I was listening to a podcast called Sheep Laughs which showcased diffrent Christian Comedians but it ended so i was looking for a list of diffrent Christian Podcast and the SB podcast sounded interesting so I listened to it
    - How has a particular drama, podcast, review affected you?
    I know there has been a couple of movies I wouldn't have sen and enjoyed if it wasn't for the reviews (and some movies that I actually wished i listened to the reviews and skpped)
    - What's the first thing you think of when you think of SBP?
    Awesomeness
    To finally learn the subtitle for SB3
    - What do you like most about Paeter?
    that he has a love for the Word and that he is willing to discuss thing with out looking down on other people
    - Why are you thankful for SBP?
    everything
    - How many times have you listened to a particular audio drama/song?
    Oh my gosh Thank you Paeter for the song bundle before I bought that I actually knew exactly where to stop on the fast forwrd button to get to Golgatha's Tale
    - How many friends have you turned on to SBP?
    A lot of my family and friends know about Spirit Blade but the last i heard none of them have listened to it yet

DNArington
    DNArington

Post  DNArington September 1st 2012, 3:12 pm

Rickster wrote:
    To finally learn the subtitle for SB3

Hahaha...agreed, can't wait for that announcement
    ProfessorAlan
    ProfessorAlan

Activity : 115
    Geek-Cred : 3

Post  ProfessorAlan September 10th 2012, 3:58 pm

When I got my first iPod, I went ot iTunes and searched for something like "Christian" or "Bible Study" or "geek" or some sort of combo of terms like that. I am pretty sure that is how I found it. Most of my new podcasts come from hearing a promo or a mention on another podcast, but I think I found the SBU show through an old-fashioned iTunes search.

My family (especially me and my now-21-year-old daughter) are huge fans of the show and of the audio dramas.
    DNArington
    DNArington

Post  DNArington November 4th 2012, 5:46 pm

I just wanted to say that I have really been enjoying the new format of the show! You have changed it up while still retaining what I love about the show. Honestly this is as good as a podcast gets IMHO. That is why I haven't entered the contest yet, I'm trying to think of something to change about the show. I will enter though.
    tmorrill
    tmorrill

Activity : 405
    Geek-Cred : 20

Post  tmorrill November 5th 2012, 8:53 pm

I first found SPB when I was lookin' for both writing tips and Christian sci-fi. I had a few extra bucks at the time and was interested in the description of the SP and Dark Ritual. Then I eventually found the forum and joined, and then I posted some and then (or now) I'm here!

One of the moments that impacted me was the same thing as Nathan, that scene at the end of DR. Part of the struggle I've had with my PTSD is wanting revenge on the man who put that IED there. In some of the more terrifying moments (in hindsight) I seriously gave thought to what I would have done to him if he was put in front of me, and more times than not it would of ended with me killing him in cold blood.

I was going on a drive and listening to DR on a drive and trying to collect my thoughts and what I wanted to say in the listener created podcast. I was coming to that part of the narrative and was sort of edging back towards that train of thought. At the same time that scene came on with Merik threatening the Santafi and Salos being resigned to the punishment that he thought he so rightly deserved. I ended up having to pull over to the side and listen to that scene over and over again because I realized I was acting just like Merik, and completely contrary to the faith I professed.

One thing that I really like about SB that I didn't think I would on the first listening was the music style.Normally I'm not the biggest fan of electronic style music (I guess that's what the genre is called), but I really like these songs.

Oh and as excited as I am for SB 3: TBA, I'm looking forward to Pilgrim's Progress more.

All in all,thanks for making these awesome products and setting up this forum!
    ComiKate
    ComiKate

Activity : 410
    Geek-Cred : 21

Post  ComiKate November 9th 2012, 6:11 pm

Like ProfessorAlan I found SBP through an iTunes search for something christian, and to be honest I would have skipped it if not for the title, Spirit Blade, triggering my curiosity. I figured it would probably be just some mystic New Age podcast thingie, but my small hopes of spirit actually referring to The Spirit, or maybe the biblical spiritual realm, and the blade being a metaphor for the Sword of Truth or spiritual warfare, made me try it anyway.

I was so very pleasantly surprised when I found this podcast actually combined geekdom and the christian faith! I immediately dived into the iTunes archives and started working my way through some (though not all, it's just too many) older episodes. SBP truly is a joy to listen to!

You ask what I like about Paeter: well, there are a couple of things. He has a balanced view on both christian themes and the way in which he does his geeky reviews. I like his self-deprecating humor, I often laughed out loud when he stumbled through the podcast endings, laughing himself while doing it. I love his honesty and integrity, and his passion for his calling, he's an example.
    And last but not least, I really like his voice. I have a thing for listening to people with pleasant voices, and to his I could listen for hours. Plus, he's a very good singer and musician too.

I also very much enjoy being part of this virtual community that Paeter helps creating and sustaining by facilitating us here on the forums and website. I think there's a lot of cool, very kind, respectful, funny, serious, dedicated-to-the-Lord geeks here that make me feel right at home. (So yeah, that's all of you I'm talking about cheers )

To think that it takes an overseas forum to make me feel at home, says a lot I think - haven't found this in my own country, not with this specific combination of geekiness and living christian faith.

So I thank the Lord for giving Paeter this superterrific special calling, and I thank Him for you all.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is May 15th 2024, 8:14 pm