Christian Geek Central Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Online Community Of Christian Geek Central

+6
Rickster
Nathan James Norman
DNArington
David N. Alderman
ComiKate
Hackmodford
10 posters

New interesting TV Shows...

Hackmodford
    Hackmodford
    Tech Admin
    Alliance Director

Activity : 797
    Geek-Cred : 7

New interesting TV Shows...  Empty New interesting TV Shows...

Post  Hackmodford August 6th 2012, 4:53 pm

So I've been trying to find new things to watch (for me anyways)

I just picked up a couple episodes of "House M.D." and "Big Bang Theory"

anyone else like these shows?

I really enjoy

Stargate
    Star Trek
    X Files
    Eureka
    Warehouse 13
    Sherlock
    MythBusters

any other ideas what I might like?

New interesting TV Shows...  UntoldAlliancesJPG1_Resized

Goozex: Trade Videogames and save money!
    ComiKate
    ComiKate

Activity : 410
    Geek-Cred : 21

New interesting TV Shows...  Empty Re: New interesting TV Shows...

Post  ComiKate August 6th 2012, 6:07 pm

I like Big Bang Theory although I won't stay home for it, so to speak.

Love House M.D. I think I started watching somewhere in its third or fourth season, and saw the series finale a couple of months ago. Such a shame there won't be any more seasons! It was still getting better and better with every new season, imo.

I don't know every show you mention, like Eureka and Warehouse 13. I've heard of Sherlock but that's not being broadcasted in the Netherlands, as far as I know (although I have to admit I haven't watched a lot of tv the last couple of months).

Love Stargate (+ all of its spin-offs) and Star Trek (+ spin-offs).

Watched every X Files season in its heyday, which is I guess more than 10 years ago or something? Can't even remember...

David N. Alderman
    David N. Alderman

Activity : 67
    Geek-Cred : 3

Post  David N. Alderman August 6th 2012, 9:45 pm

Have you ever checked out 24? That is by far my all-time favorite show. It ended a couple years ago, but the entire series is on Netflix now. All the seasons are pretty good aside from season 6 - which blew chunks.

Judging by the list of shows you like - especially Warehouse 13 - you might want to try and hunt down The Lost Room. It only lasted one season (6 episodes), and I managed to grab it on DVD, but it had so much potential. There's a room that holds all these mysterious items that hold incredible powers, and the main character's daughter disappears in this room and he has to find the mysterious items that once resided in it in order to bring her back. This is one of those shows I wish would have kept going past season 1, especially since there wasn't a cap to the story.

Here's more info on The Lost Room on Wiki -
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Lost_Room
    DNArington
    DNArington

Activity : 806
    Geek-Cred : 28

Post  DNArington August 6th 2012, 10:20 pm

Sherlock is an awesome show and it is easily my favorite representation of Sherlock Holmes I've seen. I have yet to see the new Robert Downy Jr. movies (I have the first one at my house but I just haven't watched it yet), but I doubt it will surpass the show Sherlock!

I can't really suggest many TV shows other than animated superhero shows, because I don't watch many others. I own season 1 of Battlestar Galactica and SG1 but I haven't watched them yet.

Here is a couple I know and like:

Dr. Who.....Duh...
    Get Smart (one of the funniest shows I've ever seen, a classic. The movie dosn't compare)
    Monk (intriguing mysterys and humorus comedy)
    Terminator: The Sarah Conner Cronicals (it didn't really fit the movies too well but still enjoyable)
    Smallville (I've only seen a dozen or so episodes so far but I'm really liking it)

The upcoming show Arrow (based off Green Arrow) looks pretty awesome!
    Hackmodford
    Hackmodford
    Tech Admin
    Alliance Director

Activity : 797
    Geek-Cred : 7

Post  Hackmodford August 7th 2012, 9:18 am

I also like

Lost
    Monk

My big problem with Doctor who is "Where do I start"
    If I am just starting with Doctor who where should I begin? Is there a season 1? Can you link to it on amazon?

I plan on watching Smallville eventually Wink

Also Sherlock IMHO is the best representation of Sherlock Holmes I've ever come across, Robert Downey Jr. aren't even close Wink

New interesting TV Shows...  UntoldAlliancesJPG1_Resized

Goozex: Trade Videogames and save money!
    Nathan James Norman
    Nathan James Norman
    Alliance Member

Activity : 805
    Geek-Cred : 47

Post  Nathan James Norman August 7th 2012, 1:57 pm

With Doctor Who I would start at season 1 from the relaunch (2005). If you have Netflix they're all on there.
    http://www.amazon.com/Doctor-Who-Complete-Billie-Piper/dp/B000E41MS6/ref=sr_1_2?s=movies-tv&ie=UTF8&qid=1344361941&sr=1-2&keywords=doctor+who

If you liked Monk, you might like Psych.
    I also like:

Burn Notice
    Kings (short-lived modern retelling of King David... some stuff I didn't like, some stuff was amazing!)
    Babylon 5 (By far my favorite . . . season one is rough, and if you don't want to watch it, feel free to skip on over to season two)

Rickster
    Rickster

Activity : 2338
    Geek-Cred : 16

Post  Rickster August 7th 2012, 10:13 pm

Some of the shows I've enjoyed are
    Community
    Raising Hope
    Nikita
    Chuck
    Alias
    Lost
    Quantum Leap (an old 90's sci fi time travel show)
    Drew.Rub
    Drew.Rub

Activity : 611
    Geek-Cred : 18

Post  Drew.Rub August 9th 2012, 7:45 am

Hackmodford wrote:So I've been trying to find new things to watch (for me anyways)

I just picked up a couple episodes of "House M.D." and "Big Bang Theory"

anyone else like these shows? - Can't say I watched either of the two aboveI really enjoy

Stargate - Which incarnation? SG:1, SG:A, SG:U? All three were good shows.
    Star Trek - Which era? Enjoyed all (yes, even some of Voyager)
    X Files - The Truth really is out there!
    Eureka - I'm getting ready to watch the series finale. I'll miss it.
    Warehouse 13 - Fun show, glad it's back.
    Sherlock - An exceptional representation of fantastic British telly.
    MythBusters - When are new episodes airing? I miss some good new myths.

any other ideas what I might like?
    WhiteBoy
    WhiteBoy

Activity : 855
    Geek-Cred : 12

Post  WhiteBoy August 11th 2012, 10:06 pm

Naming some oldies, but goodies...
    Firefly if you haven't seen it yet. Smile
    Buffy and Angel were both good...some of my favs ever.
    Smallville was one that I kinda of enjoyed, but it was annoying at the same time. for me it got good starting about Season 2 then fell off for me somewhere around 5 or 6...once Lex left it seems...whichever season that was.
    To complete my Joss Whedon promo, Dollhouse had a lot of potential, but never fully delivered on it.

There's more, but those are ones that come to mind right off.

Post  DNArington August 12th 2012, 9:29 am

WhiteBoy wrote:Naming some oldies, but goodies...
    Firefly if you haven't seen it yet. Smile

Buffy and Angel were both good...some of my favs ever.

I've watched Serinity and thought that was great, so I am definitely going to check out Firefly.

With Buffy I'm a little bit hesitant. the main reason interested is Joss Weadon, but I'm not a huge fan of vampiers. So I was wondering if Buffy was more of a vampire/horror type show or more action based ala Blade. Also when I watched the trailer the main girl made a prissy girl joke (if you know what I mean) and I was wondering is it has much of that, because if a show/movie has too much of that I normally don't like it as much.
    WhiteBoy
    WhiteBoy

Activity : 855
    Geek-Cred : 12

Post  WhiteBoy August 13th 2012, 6:29 pm

DNArington wrote:I've watched Serinity and thought that was great, so I am definitely going to check out Firefly.

Aww, man. I wish you'd seen the series first then finished it off with Serenity. I hope the series isn't spoiled for you. I think there will be a different experience for you because you'll already know what's going on, but I bet you'll still enjoy the series.

DNArington wrote:With Buffy I'm a little bit hesitant. the main reason interested is Joss Weadon, but I'm not a huge fan of vampires. So I was wondering if Buffy was more of a vampire/horror type show or more action based ala Blade. Also when I watched the trailer the main girl made a prissy girl joke (if you know what I mean) and I was wondering is it has much of that, because if a show/movie has too much of that I normally don't like it as much.

It's not really like Blade at all. Think of a maybe a goofy/campy Supernatural. She's not a prissy girl, so if there's a prissy girl joke, I don't remember it happening much. It's a series that doesn't take itself very seriously. It's pretty campy, but in a funny way. The first season was really campy...almost too much. They lightened up on that after the first season, though, and the characters really start developing. My wife's and my favorite characters were two vampires: Dru and Spike.

Post  DNArington August 13th 2012, 8:31 pm

WhiteBoy wrote:
    It's not really like Blade at all. Think of a maybe a goofy/campy Supernatural. She's not a prissy girl, so if there's a prissy girl joke, I don't remember it happening much. It's a series that doesn't take itself very seriously. It's pretty campy, but in a funny way. The first season was really campy...almost too much. They lightened up on that after the first season, though, and the characters really start developing. My wife's and my favorite characters were two vampires: Dru and Spike.

Ah, cool! I like some good campyness every now and again! Very Happy I'll have to check it out sometime.
    tmorrill
    tmorrill

Activity : 405
    Geek-Cred : 20

Post  tmorrill August 17th 2012, 2:38 am

Nathan James Norman wrote:
    Babylon 5 (By far my favorite . . . season one is rough, and if you don't want to watch it, feel free to skip on over to season two)

I would agree with you that Babylon 5 is one of my favorite shows out there, but I'd suggest sucking it up and watching most of season 1, it helps develop the characters and set the universe.

1. The Gathering (yes it's rough, but it's worth it in hindsight)
    2. Midnight on the Firing Line
    2. Born to the Purple
    3. The Parliament of Dreams
    4. Mind War
    5. The War Prayer
    6 And the Sky Full of Stars
    7 Deathwalker
    8. Believers
    9. Survivors
    10. By Any Means Necessary
    11. Signs and Portents
    12. Grail
    13. Eyes
    14. Legacies
    15/16. A Voice in the Wilderness
    17. Babylon Squared
    18. The Quality of Mercy
    19. Chrysalis

...Okay, so maybe most of the first season... Most of those don't have payoff immediately though, but they are the startings of weaving an amazing story.
    Nathan James Norman
    Nathan James Norman
    Alliance Member

Activity : 805
    Geek-Cred : 47

Post  Nathan James Norman August 17th 2012, 11:16 am

tmorrill wrote:
    Nathan James Norman wrote:

I would agree with you that Babylon 5 is one of my favorite shows out there, but I'd suggest sucking it up and watching most of season 1, it helps develop the characters and set the universe.

1. The Gathering (yes it's rough, but it's worth it in hindsight)
    2. Midnight on the Firing Line
    2. Born to the Purple
    3. The Parliament of Dreams
    4. Mind War
    5. The War Prayer
    6 And the Sky Full of Stars
    7 Deathwalker
    8. Believers
    9. Survivors
    10. By Any Means Necessary
    11. Signs and Portents
    12. Grail
    13. Eyes
    14. Legacies
    15/16. A Voice in the Wilderness
    17. Babylon Squared
    18. The Quality of Mercy
    19. Chrysalis

...Okay, so maybe most of the first season... Most of those don't have payoff immediately though, but they are the startings of weaving an amazing story.

You are, of course, correct. But season 2 was made to be a starting point for new viewers and for the impatient sort, season 2 would hook viewers...who would eventually want to go back and watch season 1.

Personally, I really like season 1. There's a few rough episodes... but for a newcomer who doesn't realize that Londo is deeper than the comical side-show, G'Kar is not a two dimensional bad guy and that all of those "huh? What just happened?" moments will eventually pay off, I'd send em straight to season 2.
    tmorrill
    tmorrill

Activity : 405
    Geek-Cred : 20

Post  tmorrill August 26th 2012, 3:05 am

Nathan James Norman wrote:You are, of course, correct. But season 2 was made to be a starting point for new viewers and for the impatient sort, season 2 would hook viewers...who would eventually want to go back and watch season 1. \

Fair enough. Personally though I would recommend at least having them read episode synopsis though. Either way I think we can both agree Babylon 5 is one of the best sci-fi shows out there!
    Dunadwarf
    Dunadwarf

Activity : 218
    Geek-Cred : 5

Post  Dunadwarf September 4th 2012, 12:11 pm

WhiteBoy wrote:
    Smallville was one that I kinda of enjoyed, but it was annoying at the same time. for me it got good starting about Season 2 then fell off for me somewhere around 5 or 6...once Lex left it seems...whichever season that was.
    Yeah, the show really lost something in that shake-up. What was a shame was that they changed the idea as Clark neared graduation. It was originally going to be a simple prequel series, hence the infamous "no tights-no flights ban on...well, tights and flights. The show gradually changed after he graduated and it evolved into almost an alternate version of Superman, which would have been fine, but they kept the stupid ban, even when the original show runners left (the same time Lex did). By the end, Clark was a joke, and the vaunted premiere of Superman didn't even appear on camera. Heck, the first half of the 90-minute finale OF THE WHOLE TEN YEAR SHOW was all about the lame Clark/Lois relationship, running the same stupid conflict they'd played since the very beginning!
    I loved Smallville for the most part, but it REALLY had some shortcomings it never managed to overcome. I really hope The Man of Steel can deliver, and with Zack Snyder directing, I'm not optimistic.
    "THIS...IS...KRYPTON!!!"
    DNArington
    DNArington

Post  DNArington September 4th 2012, 12:35 pm

Dunadwarf wrote: I really hope The Man of Steel can deliver, and with Zack Snyder directing, I'm not optimistic.

I'm hopeful for Man of Steel. If I'm not mistaken Christopher Nolan is producing and Zach Snyder is directing, so I'm hoping that means we will get a good mix of story and awesome visuals. And the teaser trailer looked pretty good.

Dunadwarf wrote:"THIS...IS...KRYPTON!!!"

lol! Hahaha! lol!

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is May 14th 2024, 10:44 pm