Christian Geek Central Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Online Community Of Christian Geek Central

4 posters

Rust (comic)

WhiteBoy
    WhiteBoy

Activity : 855
    Geek-Cred : 12

Rust (comic) Empty Rust (comic)

Post  WhiteBoy October 30th 2012, 10:55 pm

Paeter, if you haven't already, check out Rust. It's a great comic book. And it'd be awesome (this is me begging) if you could get an interview with the author, Royden Lepp. He's a Christian and sounds like he's led an interesting life. Rust is apparently in the process of being made into a movie, though it sounds like he is not very involved in that at this point. Oh, and he's involved in the video games industry. Can you think of a better fit for the Spirit Blade community?? Smile

Last edited by WhiteBoy on November 11th 2012, 3:46 am; edited 2 times in total

Activity : 322
    Geek-Cred : 16

Rust (comic) Empty Re: Rust (comic)

Post  BenAvery October 30th 2012, 11:43 pm

Royden is an awesome artist and a very cool guy. His David comic was incredible! (David: The Shepherd's Song.)
    Nathan James Norman
    Nathan James Norman
    Alliance Member

Activity : 805
    Geek-Cred : 47

Post  Nathan James Norman October 31st 2012, 11:20 am

BenAvery wrote:Royden is an awesome artist and a very cool guy. His David comic was incredible! (David: The Shepherd's Song.)

I love Royden's work! And the Rust volumes are amazing!!!

And even though Shepherd's Song was never completed .... it is still recommended highly! It's one of my favorites!
    Paeter
    Paeter
    Admin

Activity : 8031
    Geek-Cred : 60

Post  Paeter October 31st 2012, 3:42 pm

I'll see what I can do! Can I count on you guys to help me come up with questions? I don't know his work at all and will have to spend some time researching just to get a basic familiarity with him.

www.spiritblade.com
    WhiteBoy
    WhiteBoy

Post  WhiteBoy October 31st 2012, 3:59 pm

Nathan James Norman wrote:And even though Shepherd's Song was never completed .... it is still recommended highly! It's one of my favorites!

Aww...not completed, huh? As in it's a dead project and will not be completed? I was going to pick it up (and still may). I really like his art style.

Also, to be clear, this is a comic book; originally I just said "book" but I've edited that now.

Admin

Post  Paeter November 7th 2012, 9:15 pm

Paeter wrote:I'll see what I can do! Can I count on you guys to help me come up with questions? I don't know his work at all and will have to spend some time researching just to get a basic familiarity with him.

I've got an interview scheduled with Royden next Wednesday night, but I need some questions ASAP! Unless all you want is the usual "What's your current project, what are your influences, in what sense is it 'Christian', who will like it, where can they buy it" questions that I ask pretty much every guest.

Not feeling a particular pull to his work myself, it would be far better to have some questions from fans that he can respond to.

www.spiritblade.com
    WhiteBoy
    WhiteBoy

Post  WhiteBoy November 11th 2012, 3:43 am

Wow...great job getting the interview so quickly. Your standard questions are fine, but I will try to think of some additional ones and post again before Wednesday. One question could be asking about the David project and if/when it will it be completed.

This may seem insensitive (use your own judgement), but another thing that caught my attention is that his dad taught him how to draw -- even with his dad's disability. Maybe he could talk about that some...what was different in his dad's technique? How did that affect and influence his own style?

I'll try to think of something else, but I'm sure others can think of better questions than these.

Last edited by WhiteBoy on November 12th 2012, 10:01 am; edited 1 time in total

Post  WhiteBoy November 12th 2012, 3:13 am

Some more thoughts I had about the interview...

I found this quote in an interview, and thought that the quote could have been Paeter saying it in one of his podcasts.

Offenberger: Have you been a fan of religious comics?

Lepp: I haven’t read much but I’ve never seen anything I would buy. I’ve never been a fan of religious entertainment period. Its focus has always been something other than honoring God with quality art and story telling. It’s true that the main goal is to arrive at the gospel but unfortunately I rarely see it done with skill and talent. That sounds prideful but I don’t know how else to put it. With books like ArmourQuest and HeroBear and the Kid, It looks like that’s changing. I hope I can help it change.

I think this could be a great doorway to a discussion about quality Christian entertainment.

Another thing I'd like to hear about is any update on the Rust movie. It sounded like he's not heavily involved in that. How was it to "let go" like that when Rust is pretty much his baby; he is the writer *and* artist? How was that decision made, etc.?

His second comic book is coming out next month, I believe. Second of a four-book series. Is that all he's working on or are there other projects in the works?

He has a background in the video games industry. What has he been involved in there and maybe he could talk about that a bit?

Will post more if I think of anything else.

Alliance Member

Activity : 805
    Geek-Cred : 47

Post  Nathan James Norman November 12th 2012, 10:23 am

I suppose the following questions would come to mind:

1. Is there any chance of completing the excellent "Shepherd's Song"?
    2. Are there release dates yet for the upcoming Rust books?
    3. Who are some of your favorite authors (comics or otherwise)?
    4. Who or what are some of your biggest influences?
    5. Are there any projects you're working on after the completion of Rust?
    6. Are you able to be a full-time artist/author? If not what do you do to help pay the bills?
    Paeter
    Paeter
    Admin

Post  Paeter November 13th 2012, 8:25 pm

Thanks for the questions guys! I'm choosing from them and sending the final set of questions to him now.

www.spiritblade.com
    WhiteBoy
    WhiteBoy

Post  WhiteBoy November 28th 2012, 11:23 am

How did the interview go?

Admin

Post  Paeter November 28th 2012, 2:39 pm

WhiteBoy wrote:How did the interview go?

Great! I'll be playing it in January or February. A good chunk of the questions posted here made it to the interview and were a great help! I hope you guys enjoy the results!

I'll have to keep this instance in mind. A cool way to do interviews that both ensures you guys will be interested in my guests and saves me time researching and coming up with questions.

Let's do this again!

www.spiritblade.com
    WhiteBoy
    WhiteBoy

Post  WhiteBoy November 29th 2012, 8:28 pm

Sweet. Thanks for doing it, Paeter. Can't wait to hear it. Smile

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content