Christian Geek Central Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Online Community Of Christian Geek Central

3 posters

I think we've been insulted

cleireac
    cleireac

Activity : 388
    Geek-Cred : 7

I think we've been insulted Empty I think we've been insulted

Post  cleireac November 1st 2012, 11:01 am

Although not an uber fan of comics like many here, the implications against genre fiction lead me to believe that my feelings should be hurt.

http://www.unleashthefanboy.com/comics/the-law-of-superheroes-a-subtle-indictment-of-mainstream-comics/32193
    Dunadwarf
    Dunadwarf

Activity : 218
    Geek-Cred : 5

I think we've been insulted Empty Re: I think we've been insulted

Post  Dunadwarf November 1st 2012, 5:18 pm

Yeah, too bad we don't see long scenes of tax code and legal debates.
    I do find it narrow-minded to equate escapism with being juvenile. Simple stories are not neccessarily immature and complexity does not equal quality. Characters like Superman and Batman are archetypes, representing basic virtues and vices. There's a reason we don't need long discussions of the insurance needs of people who live near Superman, and this is a bit hard to grasp, but...

SUPERMAN IS NOT REAL!

What's more, when writers do try to bring real-world things into their comics, the results are usually less entertaining, more depressing, preachy and confusing. Comics take place in their own world.
    ComiKate
    ComiKate

Activity : 410
    Geek-Cred : 21

Post  ComiKate November 1st 2012, 8:36 pm

I agree with Dunadwarf.

Plus, SF and/or comics are not automatically simple stories just because they are SF or comics.

Personally, I find the view of this reviewer rather... simplistic, for lack of a better word. I doubt if he's ever really researched the topic and read at least some landmark SF books for himself. For instance, I find series like Dune anything but simple and immature.

Same goes for comics. Several deal with complex issues and topics; several show men who are not all "mighty" and women who are not all "beautiful".

What really irks me is that I actually feel insulted, which I soooo was not going to allow.
    So, enough of this - I'll stop here Wink

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is May 15th 2024, 6:44 pm