Christian Geek Central Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Online Community Of Christian Geek Central

+2
DNArington
cleireac
6 posters

Recommended Podcasts

cleireac
    cleireac

Activity : 388
    Geek-Cred : 7

Recommended Podcasts Empty Recommended Podcasts

Post  cleireac November 26th 2012, 2:06 pm

Thought I'd post this here as well.

I posted a short introduction to three podcasts I've been enjoying

http://geekklesia.blogspot.com/2012/11/recommended-podcasts.html

DNArington
    DNArington

Activity : 806
    Geek-Cred : 28

Recommended Podcasts Empty Re: Recommended Podcasts

Post  DNArington November 29th 2012, 2:25 am

I listen to all three of those Podcasts! Very Happy 

Here are a couple other Podcasts I listen to:

The Official Pluggedin Podcast - This is a podcast that reviews movies and looks at our culture from a Christian perspective. In general I very much enjoy this show, though sometimes they are too super-family friendly/happy for my tastes.

Are You Just Watching? - this is a great podcast where they give you their thoughts then dissect in detail the worldview of movies. Very thought provoking and fun podcast! Highly recommended!

Yeah, It's That Bad - this is a show where they take a movie that is rotten on Rotten Tomatoes and they reevaluate that score. Does it really deserve to be that low? It is a blast to hear the hosts tear apart terrible movies and praise good movies when they come along. This show is absolutely hilarious, but I must put in a warning that there is some language and occasional inappropriate jokes made.

Black Jack Justice - this is a comedy audiodrama produced by Decoder Ring Theatre where two private detectives solve mysteries together. The banter between the character is great and that is what really makes this show shine, the dialog. The mysteries are not always the best but they don't really need to be, it is all about the characters. This show is also quite hilarious but once again I must warn that there is occasional inappropriate jokes especially in episodes centering around the Girl Detective, but all in all it is a lot of fun.
    BenAvery
    BenAvery

Activity : 322
    Geek-Cred : 16

Post  BenAvery November 29th 2012, 11:20 am

I also listen to this podcast called Helix Reviews . . . it's pretty good, although there haven't been too many episodes lately.

I keep meaning to ask the host when he plans to do more, but keep forgetting. I can't figure out why this thread jogged my memory . . .

Smile

Seriously, that is a good one to check out.

A new one I have come across is Geekually Yoked. They had an advertisement in Paeter's last episode, and they have a goo thing going. They have only done five or six episodes so far.
    cleireac
    cleireac

Activity : 388
    Geek-Cred : 7

Post  cleireac November 29th 2012, 11:57 am

BenAvery wrote:A new one I have come across is Geekually Yoked. They had an advertisement in Paeter's last episode, and they have a goo thing going. They have only done five or six episodes so far.

"a goo thing"? lol!

Just to add, one of my other favorites that's not specifically Christian, but fun nonetheless is Jake Sampson: Monster Hunter from Broken Sea Productions. It has a very OTR vibe to it, but tell episodic stories set in the Pulp Era and have done everything from Lovecraftian nastiness, to vampires and werewolves to Nazis and Shamballah. Lots of fun, and occasionally dark (hear that, Paeter?)

And as long as I'm at it, there's the H. P. Lovecraft Literary Podcast. DEFINITELY not from a Christian worldview, but very interesting nonetheless is you like Lovecraft. The hosts went through the entire published works of Lovecraft critically, bringing in special guests to help on occasion. The production values are as high as Spirit Blade's. The Lovecraft-centric popdcasts are free, but they have completed that run, and are moving to take a look at other stories in what they call weird fiction, but those are on a paid subscription model.
    Paeter
    Paeter
    Admin

Activity : 8031
    Geek-Cred : 60

Post  Paeter November 29th 2012, 2:44 pm

I've begun assembling a list of podcasts to list on Christian Geek Central (some of which I may approach to be a part of a CGC podcast network). Other than those already listed here (some of which don't apply), can anyone recommend podcasts that would be of specific interest to Christian Geeks? (be they "entertainment geeks" OR "technology geeks").

www.spiritblade.com
    DNArington
    DNArington

Post  DNArington November 29th 2012, 10:15 pm

BenAvery wrote:I also listen to this podcast called Helix Reviews . . . it's pretty good, although there haven't been too many episodes lately.

I keep meaning to ask the host when he plans to do more, but keep forgetting. I can't figure out why this thread jogged my memory . . .

Smile

Ah yes, There has been quite a deley. What happened is my computer sundown and won't turn back on. You push the power button and nothing happens. I looked up some tricks and tips on how to start it up agian but none of them worked and after taking it to Best Buy I learned that there is only select places that will work on this specific problem on a Mac. That said, I have found a place that is fairly close by that will look at it. I hope to bring it in this Saterday, and if everything works out I will be able to start releasing episodes agian on Sunday, but it may have to wait one week more. Neutral
    BenAvery
    BenAvery

Activity : 322
    Geek-Cred : 16

Post  BenAvery November 30th 2012, 1:09 am

I'm glad to hear that you're still doing it.

I keep meaning to reply to your Close Enounters review -- I actually really, really like that movie.
    DNArington
    DNArington

Post  DNArington November 30th 2012, 10:01 am

BenAvery wrote:

I keep meaning to reply to your Close Enounters review -- I actually really, really like that movie.

That would be great! I would love to hear/share your opinion!
    ComiKate
    ComiKate

Activity : 410
    Geek-Cred : 21

Post  ComiKate December 1st 2012, 8:18 pm

Paeter wrote:I've begun assembling a list of podcasts to list on Christian Geek Central (some of which I may approach to be a part of a CGC podcast network). Other than those already listed here (some of which don't apply), can anyone recommend podcasts that would be of specific interest to Christian Geeks? (be they "entertainment geeks" OR "technology geeks").

For entertainment: Mark Kermode and Simon Mayo's film reviews - Not just the geeky movies but all of them, weekly. Brilliant analyses and, most importantly, often laugh out loud funny, especially when Kermode does one of his famous rants. Kermode's favorite genre is horror. You should definitely try them out.

For tech: I have so many it's hard to choose. Let me pick two of them. I love CNET's Top Five, very funny and short video advice on all things tech. I also love CNET's The 404, a daily podcast (video but there's also an audio version available) which is great fun.

For comic geeks: also, a great many available. Let me pick just a couple:
    Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Podcast
    (New 52) Superman family: The New 52 Adventures of Superman
    (New 52) Batman family: Batman Universe Comic Podcast
    Green Lantern: The LanternCast

Oh well, and many, MANY more.

ProfessorAlan
    ProfessorAlan

Activity : 115
    Geek-Cred : 3

Post  ProfessorAlan December 23rd 2012, 11:39 am

In an act of shameless self-promotion, I will note that I became a co-host on the Book Guys Podcast over the Summer. We cover book news, book reviews, comic books, podcasts, etc ... not a 'christian' show per se.

I agree with ComiKate's comic book recommendations, and would add:
    Just One Of The Guys -- Green Lantern, focusing on Guy Gardner and Kyle Raynor eras.
    Fantasticast -- Fantastic Four, issue by issue, from the beginning.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is May 14th 2024, 10:04 am