Christian Geek Central Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Online Community Of Christian Geek Central

+4
CreatorsPixels
DNArington
Rickster
Paeter
8 posters

Reclusive Or Social

Paeter
    Paeter
    Admin

Activity : 8030
    Geek-Cred : 60

Reclusive Or Social Empty Reclusive Or Social

Post  Paeter February 4th 2013, 7:10 pm

Just curious, by "show of hands", how many geeks here would describe themselves as a bit reclusive or "anti-social" at times and how many would say they are more social or "outgoing".

By anti-social I don't necessarily mean that you don't like people, but rather that you often prefer to be alone or your geek hobbies are usually done solo. (Such as solo video games, reading, etc.)

Speaking for myself, I often prefer to be alone. I play mostly solo video games as my main geek outlet these days, and also enjoy watching movies by myself if I've never seen them before (though I enjoy sharing movies I've already seen with people who haven't seen them).

My one social geek hobby is probably board games. I have two gaming groups that meet once a month. One is just me and two guys my age, the other is me and some guys from our church college/20's group.

So how about the rest of you? Are you more of a social geek, or do you most often prefer solitude?

www.spiritblade.com
    Rickster
    Rickster

Activity : 2338
    Geek-Cred : 16

Reclusive Or Social Empty Re: Reclusive Or Social

Post  Rickster February 4th 2013, 7:40 pm

I'm defiantly more reclusive but really want to start working on being more outgoing and pushing myself out side of my comfort zone
    DNArington
    DNArington

Activity : 806
    Geek-Cred : 28

Post  DNArington February 5th 2013, 1:28 am

Defiantly the reclusive type. A lot of my gaming I do by myself, though I do enjoy playing with others. I read comics which is, of course, solo. I like watching movies with no talking or other noise on, but that is almost impossible with my family, so I do enjoy a movie alone every so often. (It also depends on the kind of movie too. If it is a comedy then it is a lot funner to watch it with a crowd so they laugh and I laugh, but if it is a serious movie then I like complete silence.)
    CreatorsPixels
    CreatorsPixels

Activity : 236
    Geek-Cred : 8

Post  CreatorsPixels February 5th 2013, 4:22 pm

I tend to lean towards more reclusive. I will open up a bit once I get to know people pretty well but otherwise I'd pretty much prefer to keep to myself. Though I'm not quite as bad as I used to be.
    WhiteBoy
    WhiteBoy

Activity : 855
    Geek-Cred : 12

Post  WhiteBoy February 7th 2013, 3:30 pm

I'm more outgoing. I enjoy MMO's because of the social aspects, and I am really loving board games recently. And by the way, I must give you credit for that, Paeter. Your talking about Descent and interviewing Tom Vassel began this journey. Now, I'm having so much fun with board and card games! And the even better thing is that board games is something that I'm able to geek out with my wife; she's not really into computer games. So thanks a lot, Paeter!

Admin

Post  Paeter February 7th 2013, 3:35 pm

Cool, Whiteboy! You're welcome!

www.spiritblade.com
    ComiKate
    ComiKate

Activity : 410
    Geek-Cred : 21

Post  ComiKate February 12th 2013, 8:05 pm

By nature I'm definitely reclusive, by which I mean that that would be my very comfortable comfort zone. Spending almost every day among people, at work, usually costs me more energy than it generates. I preferably reload my battery by doing solo stuff, although that's not always possible, and if it were socially more acceptable I would be the "strong silent type".
    I avoid parties and other social events that involve lots of people gathered in one place, as much as possible.

However, I've been able to adapt to a somewhat more sociable lifestyle, mostly through jobs, friendships and relationships, and nowadays I'm regularly mistaken for an extravert by people who don't know me very well. And I'm not. I'm just an introvert who has learned to adapt and to connect with others (and still prefers to have a lot of solo time).

I like to watch my geek movies in the theater, either alone (most of the time) or occasionally with a friend. Reading comics is of course also done when I'm by myself, as are my more creative hobbies.

UKSteve
    UKSteve

Activity : 354
    Geek-Cred : 10

Post  UKSteve February 14th 2013, 12:30 pm

Are you kidding? I'm too reclusive to join in an internet forum most of the time!

I'm a little more social when I'm out being a car geek, but otherwise it's reading, writing, and sometimes annoying my wife with my choice of TV shows...
    Dreamerhorwitz
    Dreamerhorwitz

Activity : 77
    Geek-Cred : 4

Post  Dreamerhorwitz February 14th 2013, 2:19 pm

I'm stuck somewhere in the middle, but I prefer solo games.
    Paeter
    Paeter
    Admin

Post  Paeter February 14th 2013, 7:22 pm

ComiKate wrote: I've been able to adapt to a somewhat more sociable lifestyle, mostly through jobs, friendships and relationships, and nowadays I'm regularly mistaken for an extravert by people who don't know me very well. And I'm not. I'm just an introvert who has learned to adapt and to connect with others (and still prefers to have a lot of solo time).

Looks like a page from my diary. People who know me are usually very surprised when they learn I'm an introvert. I CAN be the "life of the party", but it's a switch I turn on and is very draining over time. It's similar to the energy required for acting, probably because there's some overlap between the two. ;-)

www.spiritblade.com

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is April 27th 2024, 6:29 pm