Christian Geek Central Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Online Community Of Christian Geek Central

+2
tmorrill
Rickster
6 posters

Christians ministers in movies

Rickster
    Rickster

Activity : 2338
    Geek-Cred : 16

Christians ministers in movies Empty Christians ministers in movies

Post  Rickster July 15th 2013, 4:30 am

Just curious does anyone know why almost every time there is a minister in film or TV show they are Catholic priests?
    tmorrill
    tmorrill

Activity : 405
    Geek-Cred : 20

Christians ministers in movies Empty Re: Christians ministers in movies

Post  tmorrill July 15th 2013, 5:22 am

If I had to guess it'd have to do with essentially the brand name recognition of ""Catholic" (I mean heck, according to the original Apostles Creed, we're all Catholic!).

Plus you have to look at why the Priest-character is introduced. In my experience it's usually for confession of some kind, and that ritualization of confessing your sins is arguably is the Catholic Church's biggest difference is from the myriad of Protestant denominations.
    Nathan James Norman
    Nathan James Norman
    Alliance Member

Activity : 805
    Geek-Cred : 47

Post  Nathan James Norman July 15th 2013, 7:13 am

Another reason is the visual effect. When a priest shows up in his collar, there's no need for an explanation . . . you know this is a man dedicated to God.

The visual is way better than a dude in sandals and a Hawaiian shirt!
    Paeter
    Paeter
    Admin

Activity : 8030
    Geek-Cred : 60

Post  Paeter July 15th 2013, 6:14 pm

Nathan James Norman wrote:Another reason is the visual effect. When a priest shows up in his collar, there's no need for an explanation . . . you know this is a man dedicated to God.

The visual is way better than a dude in sandals and a Hawaiian shirt!

Sounds like a quote from the director of "Bless The Child" in the behind the scenes "making of" DVD feature. He himself is a protestant, but said he went with Catholics for the "authority" of the wardrobe.

www.spiritblade.com
    UKSteve
    UKSteve

Activity : 354
    Geek-Cred : 10

Post  UKSteve July 16th 2013, 4:56 pm

A number of people I have spoken to just assume that 'Christian' equals 'Catholic' or sometimes 'Church of England', just because that has been their (usually limited) experience of the church and/or Christianity. Maybe film-makers either come from that viewpoint or recognise that a significant portion of their audience will.
    ProfessorAlan
    ProfessorAlan

Activity : 115
    Geek-Cred : 3

Post  ProfessorAlan July 18th 2013, 5:55 pm

The problem is the visual display. How would you show typical modern American evangelical church culture -- a building in an office park with no art on the walls?
    Paeter
    Paeter
    Admin

Activity : 8030
    Geek-Cred : 60

Post  Paeter July 18th 2013, 9:48 pm

ProfessorAlan wrote:The problem is the visual display. How would you show typical modern American evangelical church culture -- a building in an office park with no art on the walls?

This may almost hit on the heart of the issue. (Just guessing here, though.) It may be that most film makers (or most audience members, for whom films are made) don't really know enough about true Christianity and what makes it what it is.

I'm sure a large part of it is the fact that film is a visual medium and storytellers need to get ideas across as quickly as possible. Traditional church trappings get an idea across quickly. But this may also be done from a point of ignorance.

Since most people have only had a very shallow experience of Christianity, it makes sense that their representations of it in film would be equally shallow and external. For example, how often in any kind of fiction do we see a Christian character written like the kinds of Christians that actual Christians spend time with?

So I chalk a lot of it up to the filmmakers' limited exposure to Christians and Christianity. I'm guessing they've gotten close enough in their lives to develop a shell or stereotype of Christianity, but not close enough to represent it as it often truly is.

www.spiritblade.com

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is April 27th 2024, 5:51 pm