Christian Geek Central Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Online Community Of Christian Geek Central

4 posters

Space: Above and Beyond

mindspike
    mindspike
    Admin

Activity : 1035
    Geek-Cred : 39

Space: Above and Beyond Empty Space: Above and Beyond

Post  mindspike June 2nd 2014, 3:49 pm

Paeter wrote:I was just thinking the other day that possibly the ingedient to better inject into future military-based space sci-fi is the threat or reality of casualties. A rotating cast that must be replenished as characters are killed in action or require time to recover from events like this one. True, it's probably closer to a wartime representation of military operations, but an unspoken emotional element associated with the military is the possibility of death or other terrible circumstances.

Battlestar built drama from their lack of professionalism (PAUSE. In park with boys. Just spent five minutes talking to Jehovah's Witness. Always interesting.) as did Farscape. Trek had great moments of peril that left scars which typically healed or were forgotten quickly. (I seem to remember the same of SG1.) What would totally bring me back to military space sci-fi, without making the crew a bunch of undisciplined jerks, would be real danger and suffering that has real lasting impact, shown through emotionally shattered private moments when officers can let their guard down for the audience, even if they need to keep it up with a steel mask on duty. Whew. Now THAT would be some great television!

Space: Above and Beyond might be just what you're looking for in the way of hard military sci-fi. It's been quite a while since I've seen the series, but I remember the recurring cast being very small and a high turnover of characters due to fatalities on the show.

Paeter
    Admin

Activity : 8030
    Geek-Cred : 60

Space: Above and Beyond Empty Re: Space: Above and Beyond

Post  Paeter June 3rd 2014, 3:11 pm

mindspike wrote:

Space: Above and Beyond might be just what you're looking for in the way of hard military sci-fi. It's been quite a while since I've seen the series, but I remember the recurring cast being very small and a high turnover of characters due to fatalities on the show.

Thanks for the tip! I'll have to check it out. I think it was cancelled, but if it didn't end on a cliffhanger I may put it on my wishlist!

www.spiritblade.com
    tmorrill
    tmorrill

Activity : 405
    Geek-Cred : 20

Post  tmorrill June 4th 2014, 7:48 am

I love this show. However, there is some silly Hollywoodness to the military stuff, especially in the early episodes.

That being said the 3/4s of the series are freaking awesome.

From what I remember there is a sort of cliffhanger ending, but it also fits with the shows theme ending where it does.

Sugar Dirt is one of my favorite episodes of the show, I just wish it would have been a two parter.
    Drew.Rub
    Drew.Rub

Activity : 611
    Geek-Cred : 18

Post  Drew.Rub June 16th 2014, 4:37 pm

Paeter wrote:
    mindspike wrote:

Thanks for the tip! I'll have to check it out. I think it was cancelled, but if it didn't end on a cliffhanger I may put it on my wishlist!

cancelled yes (sadly). Cliffhanger, well that depends on your definition.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is May 6th 2024, 6:23 am