Christian Geek Central Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Online Community Of Christian Geek Central

3 posters

Banned books week.

mindspike
    mindspike
    Admin

Activity : 1035
    Geek-Cred : 39

Banned books week. Empty Banned books week.

Post  mindspike September 24th 2014, 5:54 pm

I have a policy regarding stuff like this: Don't Feed the Trolls.

I'm posting anyway. Notice my lack of judgement.

Banned Books Week is a campaign by the American Library Association to get people to purchase and read books that other people desire to see "banned". This definition is fairly flexible, and may be applied by anyone to any book to which anyone anywhere has ever objected. I think stuff like this is ludicrous at best and patently offensive at worst. Most of the time, the people screaming in protest of "censorship" are trying to force me to buy or view their patently offensive, poor quality products. I try really hard to ignore these lunatics.

Maybe the problem is that I'm one of those evil, censoring conservatives. I recently participated in the drive to remove 50 Shades of Grey from the Jr High School library. Not only do I feel the subject matter to be wholly inappropriate for that maturity level, I don't want kids deceived into thinking that the manuscript is good quality writing!

This is not censorship. My money is paying for the purchase of the library materials, and I have a say in what materials are purchased. I uphold the author's freedom of speech. I'm in favor of the publisher spending scads of money to print and distribute their book to retailers. I'm even willing to let them go broke doing it!

This is my library; I pay for it. And I have to right to ban your book from it for any reason or none at all.

Note: My ability to ban books from the public library is in direct proportion to the amount of money I contribute to their funding, relative to the whole, and my involvement the board of trustees.

Paeter
    Admin

Activity : 8030
    Geek-Cred : 60

Banned books week. Empty Re: Banned books week.

Post  Paeter September 24th 2014, 8:14 pm

lol!

Love the fine print.

Yeah, I'm with you on this. I'll fight for a lunatic's right to publish terrible crap and make it available in public stores. But you make a very good case for "censorship" in the public school systems.

www.spiritblade.com
    Battlemech37
    Battlemech37

Activity : 53
    Geek-Cred : 0

Post  Battlemech37 September 29th 2014, 10:35 pm

I've always wondered why books don't have some sort of rating system. In a lot of ways, I think a book has a much more powerful capability to stimulate the imagination than a movie or a video game. If they did carry a rating system, with a brief description of content, it would make it a lot easier for libraries to categorize books, and not have "over 18" books available to kids under age. But then, maybe the publishing industry doesn't want to do it because they think it'll hurt book sales even more.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is May 7th 2024, 4:44 pm