Christian Geek Central Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Online Community Of Christian Geek Central

3 posters

A skull...a skull is on my brain

mikel.withers
    mikel.withers

Activity : 723
    Geek-Cred : 9

A skull...a skull is on my brain Empty A skull...a skull is on my brain

Post  mikel.withers November 1st 2014, 11:18 am

...but philosophy is on my mind.

Surely, in a community such as this, we don't think that thought is a mere product of physical interaction, do we?
    I am firmly in the camp wherein I consider mind/body dualism to be the order of the universe, with a possibility that there is a mind/body/spirit trialism ...threealism... trinitism ...multiplicity.
    So, Mike, how do you explain how someone's personality can undergo a radical shift with brain damage?
    I'm glad you asked, Mike. Think of it (or align your neurons in a particular manner) as an artist with an instrument. If I took my daughter's French horn and poked holes in it, bent the bell all out of shape, or replaced the mouthpiece with a reed, it would not sound like the same. Maybe I should have gone with a telescope... Okay, new analogy: think of our brain like the lens of a telescope... a refracting telescope, not a radio telescope, that wouldn't work... but an optical telescope where one lens gets a blemish... a crack, a bubble, a smudge, and that distorts any image that comes through it. And that distortion goes both ways: the person looking at something far away sees a distorted image, but light also goes back through the telescope, and the image of the person using the telescope (or maybe just his or her eye) is also distorted to the world-at-large.
    Paeter
    Paeter
    Admin

Activity : 8030
    Geek-Cred : 60

A skull...a skull is on my brain Empty Re: A skull...a skull is on my brain

Post  Paeter November 6th 2014, 8:17 pm

I don't think you're alone in that. In recent years I've begun to suspect that the brain acts as an interface to the Mind, which is non-physical in nature. The idea being that our thoughts, memories, etc. all exist in our mind, and our Brain serves as a powerful index and search tool, accessing our mind when called upon.

In case it motivated your thought, I'll say that the forum title "What's On Your BRAIN" is just a fun variation on the expected phrase "What's On Your MIND". There's no philosophy of naturalism being expressed there.

BTW, I moved this here because I think it fits really well in this forum and you might get more responses to it here than in "What's On Your Brain".

www.spiritblade.com
    mikel.withers
    mikel.withers

Activity : 723
    Geek-Cred : 9

Post  mikel.withers November 6th 2014, 10:17 pm

I believe, Paeter, that you mentioned you listened to Defenders podcast... well, I had a basic idea, but WLC definitely clarified the concept for me.

As to philosophical world view expression... I believe I have mentioned a couple times that tongue-in-cheek is my preferred method of communication, so I worded my post, as I did, as such.
    rossmcclure4

Activity : 78
    Geek-Cred : 1

Post  rossmcclure4 November 13th 2014, 7:11 am

Despite the otherwise fruity nature of his many claims this is an idea that is gaining a lot of ground thanks to the whole NDE movement of late and "Heaven is for real" book.

I'm not comparing your thoughts to his NDE experience or his credentials in neuroscience that make me kind of skeptical, but one of his ideas is that our neurological system acts as both a kind of interface AND a limiter, as if the mind were a source of electrical power that needed an electric current limiter/converter to pour into real life. In other words, the world as we see it is much more dumbed down, foggy, confusing and unreal compared to how our whole mind would truly percieve the world, which he claims is available in the afterlife.

An intelligence squared debate is also available on the subject at: http://intelligencesquaredus.org/debates/past-debates/item/1020-death-is-not-final

Paeter
    Paeter
    Admin

Post  Paeter November 13th 2014, 5:59 pm

mikel.withers wrote:

As to philosophical world view expression... I believe I have mentioned a couple times that tongue-in-cheek is my preferred method of communication, so I worded my post, as I did, as such.

Sorry, dumb as a doornail here and missed that. Glad the intent wasn't misunderstood!

I like the way your mind works, by the way! Great to have you here!

www.spiritblade.com
    Paeter
    Paeter
    Admin

Post  Paeter November 13th 2014, 6:01 pm

rossmcclure4 wrote:
    I'm not comparing your thoughts to his NDE experience or his credentials in neuroscience that make me kind of skeptical, but one of his ideas is that our neurological system acts as both a kind of interface AND a limiter, as if the mind were a source of electrical power that needed an electric current limiter/converter to pour into real life.  In other words, the world as we see it is much more dumbed down, foggy, confusing and unreal compared to how our whole mind would truly percieve the world, which he claims is available in the afterlife.

I don't know that perception of reality is automatically improved in the afterlife. Not sure why that would be the case. But I believe it probably will be improved in the resurrected physical bodies of believers!

www.spiritblade.com

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is April 26th 2024, 5:58 am