Christian Geek Central Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Online Community Of Christian Geek Central

3 posters

Just finished "Planescape: Torment"

rossmcclure4

Activity : 78
    Geek-Cred : 1

Just finished "Planescape: Torment" Empty Just finished "Planescape: Torment"

Post  rossmcclure4 November 13th 2014, 5:21 am

I just finished "Planescape: Torment" yesterday, interesting to say the least. Are the setting/characters/concept archetypal of the whole D & D universe? I've never really played any D & D based games, just imitators.

I felt I could really relate to the main character's problem with piecing together, and being horrified by, his past. I don't want to post a spoiler, but the ending was interesting and then of course posing an actual, tough life question (What can change the nature of a man) and then forcing the player to sort of "play through" the question itself throughout the whole game: superb, very nicely done. It certainly makes one think, and I found that along with the character I yearned for further apotheosis in my own life. Also nice is that, right or wrong, the game has a one word answer to that question at the end :-) (again, no spoilers).

I also cared about the characters. Much like life, the game was more interesting and rewarding whenever I took risks by investing my character in the NPC characters. And much like life those risk decisions were often accompanied by failure and cost, making me truly reluctant to ever take the risk the next time and ask an NPC, a personal question, for example. By the end of the game it directly impacted the ending when I could look at the other NPCs and decide "yep, I care about what happens to them right now". And I know the ending would have been different if I hadn't taken those risks and actually cared about the NPCs.

There were plenty of little things that could have made the effect even better, and I sort of felt as though I was playing an earlier mold of many of today's RPGs. And then of course, the game almost entirely rests on these weighty, philosophical questions and storytelling and there is no appreciable action in the game (at times downright frustrating). Is Planescape: Torment a grandaddy or something altogether different?

Anyone else have any experiences with this RPG?
    Paeter
    Paeter
    Admin

Activity : 8031
    Geek-Cred : 60

Just finished "Planescape: Torment" Empty Re: Just finished "Planescape: Torment"

Post  Paeter November 13th 2014, 5:37 pm

I've got the game but haven't played it yet. I'm going through the more traditional Infinity Engine games first. (Other D&D games that use the same game engine and made by many of the same creators. Baldur's Gate 1&2 and Icewind Dale 1&2) The deep themes I've heard about in that game are a big draw to me, but lately I've been more interested in typical dungeon crawling, looting and combat tactics.

Thanks for the reminder, though! I definitely have it on my play list! If you enjoyed that, you might be interested in the new "Torment" game (Tides of Numenera I think?) that came out (or maybe is yet to come out). Anyway, it's the successor to the original.

Love your new pic btw!

www.spiritblade.com
    rossmcclure4

Activity : 78
    Geek-Cred : 1

Just finished "Planescape: Torment" Empty Re: Just finished "Planescape: Torment"

Post  rossmcclure4 November 14th 2014, 3:34 am

Paeter wrote:I've got the game but haven't played it yet. I'm going through the more traditional Infinity Engine games first. (Other D&D games that use the same game engine and made by many of the same creators. Baldur's Gate 1&2 and Icewind Dale 1&2) The deep themes I've heard about in that game are a big draw to me, but lately I've been more interested in typical dungeon crawling, looting and combat tactics.

Yeah, and the game has certainly driven me to a desire to play a nice dungeon crawler after all the emotion and mental effort involved. It was certainly not a game to unwind and relax to, and the action was just terrible in it, it was almost like a more visual "choose your own adventure" book than a game.

So I'm definitely hoping to enjoy some nice dungeon crawling now, I'm downloading "Temple of Elemental evil".

Paeter wrote:If you enjoyed that, you might be interested in the new "Torment" game (Tides of Numenera I think?)

Oh wow I didn't know it was already out, I will check it out. Though I doubt my crusty old abacus can handle it.

Paeter wrote:Love your new pic btw!

Thanks Paeter! That's my treasure, I'm holding in it.
    Paeter
    Paeter
    Admin

Post  Paeter November 14th 2014, 5:16 pm

rossmcclure4 wrote:

Paeter wrote:Love your new pic btw!

Thanks Paeter!  That's my treasure, I'm holding in it.

(Tears welling up.) Hang on a second...

(Hugs wife)

That's awesome, man. I can't wait for you to be with her again. (Still in Egypt, right?)

I've got "Temple" installed and have played a little, but have had trouble getting into it. I REALLY like the "real time with pause" formula, and true turn-based felt a little static to go back to. But I'm not giving up on the genre yet. So many good looking games out in that mold!

Fallout 1&2 of course. (Need to try again...)
    Shadowrun Returns(Own but not installed yet!!)
    Wasteland 2
    Divinity

The whole genre is making a comeback. Thenof course the realtime with pause of "Pillars Of Eternity", which is being designed by the makers of the Infinity Engine games and specifically engineered to run well even on mid-low end systems!

Check this out!

www.spiritblade.com
    Introspect
    Introspect

Activity : 9
    Geek-Cred : 0

Post  Introspect March 12th 2015, 2:58 am

Been wanting to go back and play this game (I started it years ago but never finished it). Developer, inXile is actually working on the spiritual successor to Planescape: Torment that Paeter mentioned, which I'm very interested in. It's the most successful Kickstarter to date, to my knowledge.

Here is a video about it with actual gameplay:

Sword Coast Legends another one on my radar:

Paeter
    Paeter
    Admin

Post  Paeter March 12th 2015, 7:21 pm

Yeah, Sword Coast Legends looks fantastic. Looks like it can be played solo! I was under the impression it was strictly 4v1 and you needed a game master. But if it's like Neverwinter Nights, where the GM is just an option and it has its own campaign??? AND it's made by the director of DA:Origins???

I think I just peed myself.

www.spiritblade.com

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is May 19th 2024, 5:46 am