Christian Geek Central Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Online Community Of Christian Geek Central

5 posters

who should be my favorite Dr

Poll

who should I pick to be my favorite Dr

[ 0 ]
    who should be my favorite Dr I_vote_lcap0%who should be my favorite Dr I_vote_rcap [0%] 
    [ 0 ]
    who should be my favorite Dr I_vote_lcap0%who should be my favorite Dr I_vote_rcap [0%] 
    [ 1 ]
    who should be my favorite Dr I_vote_lcap33%who should be my favorite Dr I_vote_rcap [33%] 
    [ 0 ]
    [ 0 ]
    [ 2 ]
    who should be my favorite Dr I_vote_lcap67%who should be my favorite Dr I_vote_rcap [67%] 

Total Votes: 3
    Rickster
    Rickster

Activity : 2338
    Geek-Cred : 16

who should be my favorite Dr Empty who should be my favorite Dr

Post  Rickster February 17th 2015, 1:20 pm

I am hoping to do the 3rd annual Nerd Herd virtual races and this year the themes are Star Wars, Dr. Who, and Harry Potter. Now when you register for the race you are asked a question about the theme and a quote from your pick is printed on your bib. Now I can answer the Star Wars and Harry Potter but i dont know squat about Dr. Who so instead of answering with the i dont know/pick for me answer i decided to make this poll to see who i should pick.

Here is a video showing the medals

Here is a link to the site if you want more information
    http://www.thenerdherd.info/about-the-3rd-annual-virtual-race-series/
    mikel.withers
    mikel.withers

Activity : 723
    Geek-Cred : 9

who should be my favorite Dr Empty Re: who should be my favorite Dr

Post  mikel.withers February 18th 2015, 8:32 am

I watched the first episode of the "new" Dr. Who, and no more. Still, I voted War Dr. because it just sounds cool. geek
    mindspike
    mindspike
    Admin

Activity : 1035
    Geek-Cred : 39

Post  mindspike February 18th 2015, 2:29 pm

At least you guys are trying! Very Happy

Doctor Who 101

1) This is a fairly small point, but important. The show's name is "Doctor Who". The word "Doctor" is always spelled out and never abbreviated. It is always capitalized.

2) The lead character's name is "the Doctor". "Doctor Who" is a question, not a name. It ties into one of the central themes of the show, which is a quest for identity. Occasionally on the part of the Doctor, but mostly by his companions.

3) Doctor Who is primarily a sci-fi morality play in which the ethical ramifications of one's actions are called into question. The action sequences and other razzle-dazzle are incidental to the main themes of the show.

4) The Doctor is not meant to exemplify a type of savior, but is rather the ultimate expression of humanity. The Doctor is ultimately ethical because he bears the consequences of his own choices, allows others to bear the consequences of their own choices, and occasionally protects people from the consequences of choices made by themselves and others, paying the price himself as a type of parental figure.

5) The philosophy of Doctor Who is always naturalistic and humanistic, but also always optimistic. The lesson is that things can and will get better, but that impetus for betterment comes from our own choices.

6) The central conflict behind the War Doctor is that the Doctor has always viewed war as an unethical and inhumane practice, even in his conflicts with Cybermen, Daleks, and other Terminator precursors. That the War Doctor exists at all is a paradox that causes the 10th and 11th Doctors much anxiety. The 50th anniversary special "Day of the Doctor" tells his story.

7) Every incarnation of the Doctor is slightly different, and thus every incarnation of Doctor Who is slightly different. If one Doctor doesn't grab you, skip a season and try again!

UKSteve

Activity : 354
    Geek-Cred : 10

Post  UKSteve February 24th 2015, 4:41 pm

You can't just say 'Classic Doctor' as if that's a single thing! I think the answer to your question is '4th Doctor', although I will accept 10th.

Also:
    mindspike wrote:
    2) The lead character's name is "the Doctor". "Doctor Who" is a question, not a name. It ties into one of the central themes of the show, which is a quest for identity. Occasionally on the part of the Doctor, but mostly by his companions.

He was frequently credited as Doctor Who though, if anyone cares.

*hides behind the sofa again before Paeter notices I only ever post to geek out about Doctor Who*
    Rickster
    Rickster

Activity : 2338
    Geek-Cred : 16

Post  Rickster February 24th 2015, 4:46 pm

UKSteve wrote:You can't just say 'Classic Doctor' as if that's a single thing! I think the answer to your question is '4th Doctor', although I will accept 10th.

Those are choices that the race registration offered
    UKSteve
    UKSteve

Post  UKSteve February 24th 2015, 5:26 pm

Well, I would say that whoever came up with those choices is Mr Thick Thick Thickety Thickface from Thicktown Thickania, but they might not get that it's a Doctor Who reference and think I'm actually being rude, so I won't.
    mindspike
    mindspike
    Admin

Activity : 1035
    Geek-Cred : 39

Post  mindspike February 25th 2015, 11:15 am

UKSteve wrote:You can't just say 'Classic Doctor' as if that's a single thing! I think the answer to your question is '4th Doctor', although I will accept 10th.

Preposterous! I do not even know who Tom Baker is!

UKSteve

Post  UKSteve February 25th 2015, 12:22 pm

Would you like a jelly baby?
    AdamCollings
    AdamCollings

Activity : 1759
    Geek-Cred : 11

Post  AdamCollings March 15th 2015, 6:04 pm

Choosing a favourite Doctor is kinda like picking favourites between your kids. It's not easy.

I guess personally my top candidates would be Three, Four & Ten, with Eight, Nine, Eleven and Twelve close runners up.
    I actually think 8 had the potential to be an amazing Doctor but he never got the chance. He made a weak-plotted movie shine, and he made an amazing short even better.

Five and Six have yet to completely grab me, though I haven't seen much of either of their runs.

Not sure if any of that is helpful.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is May 17th 2024, 5:36 am