Christian Geek Central Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Online Community Of Christian Geek Central

3 posters

Space Colonies Will Fix The Human Condition?

Paeter
    Paeter
    Admin

Activity : 8030
    Geek-Cred : 60

Space Colonies Will Fix The Human Condition? Empty Space Colonies Will Fix The Human Condition?

Post  Paeter February 25th 2015, 1:57 pm

Interesting video, but another sad symptom of our natural desire to have a better world without acknowledging our need for a savior external to ourselves.

What do you guys think of this one?

www.spiritblade.com
    mikel.withers
    mikel.withers

Activity : 723
    Geek-Cred : 9

Space Colonies Will Fix The Human Condition? Empty Re: Space Colonies Will Fix The Human Condition?

Post  mikel.withers February 25th 2015, 9:34 pm

I'm of two minds on this issue. First, I don't think it is necessarily saying that setting up space colonies will save us, so much as preserve us. I do tend to think that we wont have to worry about the sun expanding and swallowing the earth...I imagine that Jesus will return before then...but if that was not the case, then expanding to other star systems would be the only way of preserving mankind. (without God's grace, I have no idea why you would think mankind was worth the bother, though)
    Second... starting another or multiple human colonies isn't going to make aggression a thing of the past, that is laughable, but rather set up a whole other "us and them" scenario.

Nathan James Norman
    Nathan James Norman
    Alliance Member

Activity : 805
    Geek-Cred : 47

Space Colonies Will Fix The Human Condition? Empty Re: Space Colonies Will Fix The Human Condition?

Post  Nathan James Norman March 12th 2015, 11:36 am

mikel.withers wrote:
    Second... starting another or multiple human colonies isn't going to make aggression a thing of the past, that is laughable, but rather set up a whole other "us and them" scenario.

...as portrayed on Babylon 5's Mars Colony! affraid
    Nathan James Norman
    Nathan James Norman
    Alliance Member

Post  Nathan James Norman March 12th 2015, 11:43 am

I had a girlfriend once whose family (along with her) moved away.
    They did this so the husband and wife could heal their broken marriage.
    This made absolutely no sense to me and I referred to Babylon 5 (I'm on a role today): "A change of location does not change the darkness of a soul."

This seems to be the same error on a larger scale.
    mikel.withers
    mikel.withers

Activity : 723
    Geek-Cred : 9

Post  mikel.withers March 12th 2015, 12:48 pm

I saw all of about 3 Babylon 5 episodes, so... I have no idea.

However, there can be something to either gaining space or losing proximity to problematic memories. Let's say a member of a couple cheats with the neighbor... well, staying in that same neighborhood is going to keep that event in the forefront of everyone's mind. Even with sincere repentance all around the wound is going to be irritated constantly.
    Now, of course, if the cheater is an unrepentant cheater, then moving is probably just going to bring new temptations into the mix; so no real gain there.

As a matter of fact, it doesn't even take cheating. My wife thought I had a "thing" for a girl I worked with awhile back. It wasn't at all like what my wife thought it was, but the ...fear, worry, suspicion... of that was creating stress on our marriage. Moving away actually lessened that stress and I have been more careful of how I've interacted with people since then so that the issue doesn't come up.
    However, moving is never going to take the fundamental nature of a human being away from them.
    Nathan James Norman
    Nathan James Norman
    Alliance Member

Post  Nathan James Norman March 17th 2015, 11:22 am

mikel.withers wrote:I saw all of about 3 Babylon 5 episodes, so... I have no idea.

However, there can be something to either gaining space or losing proximity to problematic memories. Let's say a member of a couple cheats with the neighbor... well, staying in that same neighborhood is going to keep that event in the forefront of everyone's mind. Even with sincere repentance all around the wound is going to be irritated constantly.
    Now, of course, if the cheater is an unrepentant cheater, then moving is probably just going to bring new temptations into the mix; so no real gain there.

As a matter of fact, it doesn't even take cheating. My wife thought I had a "thing" for a girl I worked with awhile back. It wasn't at all like what my wife thought it was, but the ...fear, worry, suspicion... of that was creating stress on our marriage. Moving away actually lessened that stress and I have been more careful of how I've interacted with people since then so that the issue doesn't come up.
    However, moving is never going to take the fundamental nature of a human being away from them.

Good points all around.

I think in the case of my former GF, they just moved to move. That somehow their interpersonal problems would be fixed with a change of atmosphere.

But I agree, if there are external issues... then it would be a wise move.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is April 26th 2024, 6:51 am