Christian Geek Central Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Online Community Of Christian Geek Central

3 posters

The Walking Dead

Jeffrywith1e
    Jeffrywith1e

Activity : 12
    Geek-Cred : 0

The Walking Dead Empty The Walking Dead

Post  Jeffrywith1e March 5th 2015, 10:02 am

I just caught up, well not quite... just got further with The Walking Dead. Finished season 4.

This show is a guilty pleasure for me. When I started watching it, it would stress me out and almost make me nauseous to the point where I completely quit watching. But then I found myself back into it and I've found the show's writing has improved greatly. There seems to have been a decision to focus a lot more deeply into the characters for the drama rather than focusing on the violence.

I find that when the story zooms in on the characters more, there are some beautiful opportunities for spiritual lessons. Some examples of blatant power-under/Christ-like servitude rather than the typical worldly power-over way of doing things.
    For example there is a discussion between a woman and a young girl where the adult woman is trying to convince the girl that she needs to be stronger and meaner to survive. But the girl refuses to give in to that, insists on being kind and loving to people no matter what.
    Later in that same episode a character confesses to a guy that the character's actions resulted in the loss of that guy's loved one, knowing full well the guy has been seeking revenge on the perpetrator of the offense. The guy's reaction? Forgiveness. He flat out says "I forgive you".
    Another theme is coming to terms with your actions. Survival in an extremely hostile environment leads to some nightmarish actions. And many of the characters struggle with who they've become after the realize what awful things they find themselves capable of. Others gleefully follow that path without remorse. We find these characters in a land where the walking corpses are the lesser of the threat. The real threat are the living people that have no morals.

The Walking Dead is ultimately garbage. Not in production quality or especially the writing, there it is top of the line. Few shows are this good. But in a sense of one's spirit, you don't need it. Garbage in, garbage out. That's why I consider it a guilty pleasure. I am glad to find some well made spiritual lessons in these later seasons of the show.
    Paeter
    Paeter
    Admin

Activity : 8030
    Geek-Cred : 60

The Walking Dead Empty Re: The Walking Dead

Post  Paeter March 6th 2015, 5:47 pm

Jeffrywith1e wrote:

The Walking Dead is ultimately garbage. Not in production quality or especially the writing, there it is top of the line. Few shows are this good. But in a sense of one's spirit, you don't need it. Garbage in, garbage out. That's why I consider it a guilty pleasure. I am glad to find some well made spiritual lessons in these later seasons of the show.

No guilt in my pleasure on this one. LOVE this show! Thought-provoking in addition to dramatic. I might even argue that for some people this show would be good and useful for them, spiritually! Not necessarily because of what it "teaches", but because of the opportunity it repeatedly presents to examine and discern spiritual and moral ideas.

www.spiritblade.com
    AdamCollings
    AdamCollings

Activity : 1755
    Geek-Cred : 11

Post  AdamCollings March 15th 2015, 7:40 pm

I enjoy this show because it takes an honest look at how the characters struggle to hold on to their humanity in the midst of the world they're living in. I say struggle because sometimes they fail, but they always seem to realise and try to remain the kind of people they know they should be.

SPOILERS AHEAD!!!!

I loved Dale's final episode in season two - his passionate argument  about holding on to morals and not believing that civilisation was completely dead. It was sad but powerful that it took his death for the rest to see his point.

I just finished the finale of season 3 in which Rick begins to realise that he has taught his son to be ruthless and un-compassionate and is now regretting that. Looks like he'll have some hard work as a dad to do in season 4.
    Paeter
    Paeter
    Admin

Activity : 8030
    Geek-Cred : 60

Post  Paeter March 26th 2015, 1:09 pm

Sorry, just a small edit to your post, Adam. Totally agree though. LOVED that character and the show has been less without them.

www.spiritblade.com

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is May 7th 2024, 2:29 am