Christian Geek Central Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Online Community Of Christian Geek Central

5 posters

Daredevil Series

Nathan James Norman
    Nathan James Norman
    Alliance Member

Activity : 805
    Geek-Cred : 47

Daredevil Series Empty Daredevil Series

Post  Nathan James Norman August 29th 2015, 7:35 pm

Has anyone watched the Daredevil series on Netflix?
    Due to my recent tonsillectomy, I actually had time to watch it... and wow! Quite possibly the best superhero show ever! (And this is coming from a DC guy).

It's a great character driven story but also has some pretty positive portrayals of Christianity (with a Roman Catholic backdrop).

Anyone else?

(Note: Rated TV-MA for some language, and violence. And I think some quick partial nudity in the first episode... but I looked away so I'm not 100% sure about it... it was quick.)

mikel.withers
    mikel.withers

Activity : 723
    Geek-Cred : 9

Daredevil Series Empty Re: Daredevil Series

Post  mikel.withers August 30th 2015, 11:18 am

I've watched about half of it, and I really enjoy it.
    I like that the fight scenes aren't super-ninja stuff, but a much more realistic (and brutal) style.

Besides the Ben Affleck movie, I don't really know anything about Daredevil, though, so a real fan might not get the same enjoyment.
    Paeter
    Paeter
    Admin

Activity : 8031
    Geek-Cred : 60

Post  Paeter August 31st 2015, 5:31 pm

I'm DEFINITELY interested and have been since day 1. But we don't have Netflix, so we'll have to wait until they do a bluray release. :-(
    Looks/sounds like TOTALLY my kind of show, though!

www.spiritblade.com
    Rickster
    Rickster

Activity : 2338
    Geek-Cred : 16

Post  Rickster August 31st 2015, 6:59 pm

i binge watched it the first weekend it was out and çurrently rewatching alnog with the Welcome to level 7 podcast.. Great show and looking forward to season 2 and seeing Electra and Punisher
    Nathan James Norman
    Nathan James Norman
    Alliance Member

Post  Nathan James Norman September 2nd 2015, 8:30 am

Paeter wrote:I'm DEFINITELY interested and have been since day 1. But we don't have Netflix, so we'll have to wait until they do a bluray release. :-(
    Looks/sounds like TOTALLY my kind of show, though!

Having listened to your reviews for quite some time now I think it would be right up your alley.

Paeter
    Paeter
    Admin

Activity : 8031
    Geek-Cred : 60

Post  Paeter September 2nd 2015, 12:03 pm

Any thoughts on how this character could work in the movie-verse? I get the sense the tone is very different from the movies. Are there plans to bring him to the movies and if so, how do you think that will work from a tonal standpoint?

www.spiritblade.com
    Nathan James Norman
    Nathan James Norman
    Alliance Member

Post  Nathan James Norman September 2nd 2015, 12:14 pm

Paeter wrote:Any thoughts on how this character could work in the movie-verse? I get the sense the tone is very different from the movies. Are there plans to bring him to the movies and if so, how do you think that will work from a tonal standpoint?

Daredevil is extremely dark and pessimistic, whereas the Marvel movies tend to be a soft PG-13 world.
    Daredevil is also quite grounded and gritty, whereas the Marvel movies are rather melodramatic and over the top.

But it's set in the same universe. There are a few oblique references to events and characters in the cinematic Marvelverse.

I read Charlie Cox is contractually obligated to appear in the films if they ask him to be.
    If they did, I'd imagine he would have a rather limited supporting role (i.e. choosing a side during Civil War). And I can't see them darkening the cinematic world to match the tone of Daredevil. In most likelihood they would "brighten" the character for any forays into film.
    ComiKate
    ComiKate

Activity : 410
    Geek-Cred : 21

Post  ComiKate September 4th 2015, 2:00 pm

I was hooked to this show from episode 1. I like the lead actor, and his costume in the fifrst 12 eps. Hated his final costume though, blegh!

However, after ep. 6 or 7 it turned rather dull and a bit boring. The tone changed, not as much cool action, I was a bit disappointed.
    I rate the first half of the season 9/10, second half 6/10.

I do look forward to season 2 though, in hopes they'll smooth out the kinks and turn up the notch.
    Nathan James Norman
    Nathan James Norman
    Alliance Member

Post  Nathan James Norman September 6th 2015, 7:52 pm

I can totally see that ComiKate!
    I actually had the opposite experience, where I started enjoying the second half more than the first (especially with the moral scenario as it was presented).
    But that's what's great about film experiences like this... we all have different take-aways Smile

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is May 19th 2024, 3:36 am