Christian Geek Central Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Online Community Of Christian Geek Central

4 posters

Looking For Serious Fantasy Animation

Paeter
    Paeter
    Admin

Activity : 8030
    Geek-Cred : 60

Looking For Serious Fantasy Animation Empty Looking For Serious Fantasy Animation

Post  Paeter February 3rd 2016, 10:21 am

Just bought the Dungeons and Dragons TV series to watch with my boys as we gear up to start playing D&D together for the first time. The whole thing has really put me in the mood for more fantasy animation, although I'm not sure where to look. I'd love something with that classic "party on a quest" feel. Not much to choose from I imagine so I'm probably looking at some kind of anime. Although I'd prefer something completely serious with no "cute" or "funny" comic relief characters.

Any recommendations?

www.spiritblade.com
    ComiKate
    ComiKate

Activity : 410
    Geek-Cred : 21

Looking For Serious Fantasy Animation Empty Re: Looking For Serious Fantasy Animation

Post  ComiKate February 7th 2016, 5:55 pm

You could always do the Lord of the Rings animated movie…?
    (it's been a very long time for me and I seem to remember it ends sort of "in the middle" - probably meant as a cliff hanger that never got a follow-up).
    But it is some serious fantasy team questy stuff, might scratch your itch Wink
    Paeter
    Paeter
    Admin

Looking For Serious Fantasy Animation Empty Re: Looking For Serious Fantasy Animation

Post  Paeter February 8th 2016, 10:44 am

ComiKate wrote:You could always do the Lord of the Rings animated movie…?
    (it's been a very long time for me and I seem to remember it ends sort of "in the middle" - probably meant as a cliff hanger that never got a follow-up).
    But it is some serious fantasy team questy stuff, might scratch your itch Wink
    I thought they went all the way and did Return Of The King, didn't they?

www.spiritblade.com
    Morfinwen
    Morfinwen

Activity : 43
    Geek-Cred : 1

Post  Morfinwen February 8th 2016, 10:48 pm

Paeter wrote:I thought they went all the way and did Return Of The King, didn't they?

Not exactly.

Ralph Bakshi's animated film ends very abruptly after Helm's Deep. In fairness to him, he wanted to market it as Part One, which the producers didn't like for some reason, and he also intended to make a sequel, but for some reason never did. Later on, Rankin and Bass got the rights to Return of the King but not anything before it.

I've seen most if not all of both films, and personally, i wouldn't recommend either as "serious" fantasy animation. The animation is awful-looking, the adaptions get more wrong than they do right, and the voice acting is unmemorable at best. But if you're looking for a laugh, there are some awesome one-star reviews on IMDb and Amazon for both.
    Paeter
    Paeter
    Admin

Post  Paeter February 9th 2016, 5:35 pm

Morfinwen wrote:

The animation is awful-looking, the adaptions get more wrong than they do right, and the voice acting is unmemorable at best.

Sounds like my review of the Dragonlance animated movie. Oh that could have gone so well, but oh it went so wrong.

www.spiritblade.com
    Battlemech37
    Battlemech37

Activity : 53
    Geek-Cred : 0

Looking For Serious Fantasy Animation Empty Great Animation

Post  Battlemech37 February 11th 2016, 7:43 pm

It's not super fantasy, but I recently watched "The Wind Rises", which is by Miyazaki. Beautiful and stunning. Probably one of my top 10 favorite animated films. This blows any American animation out of the water in my book (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2013293/).

Also highly recommended is the Secret of Kells (2009) - again, very unique and beautiful animation. This has elements of fantasy, but also a very thoughtful message for the Christian. Highly recommended! (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0485601/)

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is May 2nd 2024, 6:35 am