Christian Geek Central Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Online Community Of Christian Geek Central

+2
mindspike
Paeter
6 posters

Kid-Friendly/Adult-Cool Anime Recommendations?

Paeter
    Paeter
    Admin

Activity : 8031
    Geek-Cred : 60

Kid-Friendly/Adult-Cool Anime Recommendations? Empty Kid-Friendly/Adult-Cool Anime Recommendations?

Post  Paeter February 24th 2016, 6:35 pm

My boys and I have really been enjoying watching the old D&D cartoon together on weekdays after school. But we'll be running out of episodes soon and I'd like to keep something going with them.

Anime came to mind since it's a cartoon, which will likely hold their attention better than something live action, and anime also often has stories and ideas that adults can enjoy, too.

We've seen all the Bruce Tim animated stuff and I'd prefer something sci-fi or fantasy anyway rather than superheroes. They've also seen the 2000's He-Man (don't think I could do the 80's show.)

All I have on my list of shows to consider so far are Avatar: The Last Airbender and Gundam Wing (which I watched and enjoyed during college). And no, you don't need to exclude recommendations that include annoying anime humor or "comic relief" characters. I know that will be near impossible to avoid if I want something that's fairly kid friendly.

Speaking of "kid friendly", that's a near meaningless term since kids and families are so different. Let's just say I don't want any nudity or "sexy" female character designs. Some blood in the action is okay now and then, although sci-fi/fantasy violence (lasers and magic) would be the preferred norm. And PG language (damn, god or hell now and then is okay enough, but no rougher.)

Any thoughts?

www.spiritblade.com
    mindspike
    mindspike
    Admin

Activity : 1035
    Geek-Cred : 39

Kid-Friendly/Adult-Cool Anime Recommendations? Empty Re: Kid-Friendly/Adult-Cool Anime Recommendations?

Post  mindspike March 10th 2016, 10:34 am

Both Avatar series are excellent choices. The Last Airbender is a great adventure story, while The Legend of Korra deals with adulthood and coming of age issues.

Gundam Wing, love it!!!!! If you can lay your hands on the Gundam: 08th MS Team might be a bit over the head of your kids - the material is very literary and kinda weighty, but it's got big robots.

Dragonball Z. I love this series. Your kids will love the action and root for Gohan as he grows up. You will dig on the character development and really be able to think about the spiritual implications and teachable moments the story provides. It's the cartoon I chose to use to teach my son to think about the content of the television he watches.

Pokemon. Especially the early years. Friendship, action, and a lesson in every story. The cartoon is very light, but the movies are surprisingly deep and occasionally disturbing.

That's kind of the standard fare these days. Avatar and Dragonball Z are both currently airing on Nickelodeon. Pokemon is on Cartoon Network.

Disney Channel/XD just wrapped up Gravity Falls. It's an excellent show that's heavy on an adult brand of weird, with all kinds of stuff to look for. If you've got the Disney Channel/XD, the current crop of Marvel cartoons (I know, superheroes.....) just keep getting better, with punchy episodes and epic season-long story arcs.

Want to dig for gold?

Cardcaptors. Magical girl Sakura and her friends are tasked with recapturing the spirits that have escaped from the Klow cards. Good luck finding this series. If you do, let me know.

Thundercats. Eye of Thundera, give me sight beyond sight! Get the recent Cartoon Network release. There's only one season, but it's got a long story arc and Lion-O gets to make some really hard choices. Plus, Will Friedle voices Lion-O.

ReBoot! One of my very favorites, now available in a complete series box set. Season 1 is standard kids fare, but seasons 2, 3, and 4 get really dark as Enzo Matrix learns what it takes to be a Guardian. The season 2 finale *still* takes my breath away.

Yu-Gi-Oh! Available on Netflix. This is the same kind of show as Pokemon. Strong lessons in friendship and personal morality, but with a really dark spiritual undercurrent if you examine the core concept.

mikel.withers

Activity : 723
    Geek-Cred : 9

Kid-Friendly/Adult-Cool Anime Recommendations? Empty Re: Kid-Friendly/Adult-Cool Anime Recommendations?

Post  mikel.withers March 10th 2016, 1:39 pm

Robotech... it's a classic.

Dragonball Z is good, I'd second that, same with Avatar.

I think the Clone Wars cartoon was pretty good, definitely gives some depth to Anakin's character.

One Punch Man might work... it is a bit absurdist, so it might not work for kids, and there is some comically gross violence but it might be one you could like as well.

Paeter
    Paeter
    Admin

Post  Paeter March 10th 2016, 5:56 pm

mindspike wrote:Thundercats. Eye of Thundera, give me sight beyond sight! Get the recent Cartoon Network release. There's only one season, but it's got a long story arc and Lion-O gets to make some really hard choices. Plus, Will Friedle voices Lion-O.
    I read this was cancelled on a cliffhanger. Is that true? Not sure I could deal with that.

Thanks for all the great suggestions!

www.spiritblade.com
    Paeter
    Paeter
    Admin

Post  Paeter March 10th 2016, 5:59 pm

mikel.withers wrote:Robotech... it's a classic.

Dragonball Z is good, I'd second that, same with Avatar.

I think the Clone Wars cartoon was pretty good, definitely gives some depth to Anakin's character.

One Punch Man might work... it is a bit absurdist, so it might not work for kids, and there is some comically gross violence but it might be one you could like as well.

Sweet, thank you!

Dragonball Z might be calling to me. So popular and loved, and it gains extra points that you guys like it too. But every clip I've seen... yikes. Then again, it might be good for some laughs (in all the places they don't intend) and would certainly scratch the itch of my morbid curiosity.

Thanks again!

www.spiritblade.com
    mikel.withers
    mikel.withers

Activity : 723
    Geek-Cred : 9

Post  mikel.withers March 11th 2016, 8:30 am

I think Dragonball Z might actually intend for it to be funny in those parts... there is definitely a bit of a parody element to it. At the very least, I don't think it takes itself too seriously.

Paeter
    Paeter
    Admin

Post  Paeter March 14th 2016, 2:35 pm

I may have to wait on DBZ. We don't have netflix and I can't find it for free online. The DVDs were pretty pricey last time i looked.

www.spiritblade.com
    mindspike
    mindspike
    Admin

Post  mindspike March 15th 2016, 8:54 pm

So, recommendations from Netflix, Hulu, and other free streaming services.....
    Start with Avatar. It's excellent.
    We can come up with something.....

mindspike
    Admin

Post  mindspike March 15th 2016, 9:11 pm

No, wait. You *don't* have Netflix......
    Dragonball Z, Dragonball GT, and the original Dragonball are all on Hulu.
    Digimon Adventure is pretty good.
    Tall order......

mindspike
    Admin

Post  mindspike March 15th 2016, 9:23 pm

Ooooohhhh......
    I never would have looked if you hadn't have asked....
    Cardcaptors is on You Tube.
    And on Hulu:
    Battle of the Planets!!!!
    Voltron: Lion Force

I know purists insist that the original Japanese versions are preferable, but I fell in love with the Americanized versions in the early 80s, late 70s, and I've found them again. Your boys are at that same age......

AdamCollings

Activity : 1759
    Geek-Cred : 11

Post  AdamCollings March 16th 2016, 1:37 am

Oh, I have very fond childhood memories of Voltron, both the lions and the vehicles.
    Paeter
    Paeter
    Admin

Post  Paeter March 16th 2016, 12:38 pm

Sweet! Thanks, Winston!

www.spiritblade.com
    jazzact13

Activity : 267
    Geek-Cred : 3

Post  jazzact13 March 23rd 2016, 12:07 am

Here are some recommendations you may want to check out for yourself and see if your boys might find them interesting, and if you approve, too.

One Week Friends--A boy tries to befriend a girl with a strange form of amnesia. While the amnesia may be a bit contrived, I liked how the story develops. Plus, the two friends of the main characters are interesting in their own ways. I don't remember anything objectionable in it, thought it doesn't have a lot action, either.

Naruto--It should stay mostly within the parameters you mentioned, at least until Jiraiya shows up, around episode 51. The fights can be pretty intense, especially ones with a young and very unbalanced Gaara.

Non Non Biyori--A slice-of-life series that takes place in a rural Japanese setting. It stays clean, but if your boys want lots of action and fighting, they might find it boring.

Snow White with the Red Hair--A young lady with unusual red hair meets up with a prince. Personally, this is one of my favorite series. It's got a good mix of action and story. Plus, I like how things develop between Shirayuki and Zen with a lot of honor and respect. The only thing you might object to would be in the second season, after episode 12, when there are pirates, and the head pirate is a lady who does dress in an eye candy kind of way.
    Paeter
    Paeter
    Admin

Post  Paeter March 23rd 2016, 5:25 pm

jazzact13 wrote:Here are some recommendations you may want to check out for yourself and see if your boys might find them interesting, and if you approve, too.

One Week Friends--A boy tries to befriend a girl with a strange form of amnesia. While the amnesia may be a bit contrived, I liked how the story develops. Plus, the two friends of the main characters are interesting in their own ways. I don't remember anything objectionable in it, thought it doesn't have a lot action, either.

Naruto--It should stay mostly within the parameters you mentioned, at least until Jiraiya shows up, around episode 51. The fights can be pretty intense, especially ones with a young and very unbalanced Gaara.

Non Non Biyori--A slice-of-life series that takes place in a rural Japanese setting. It stays clean, but if your boys want lots of action and fighting, they might find it boring.

Snow White with the Red Hair--A young lady with unusual red hair meets up with a prince. Personally, this is one of my favorite series. It's got a good mix of action and story. Plus, I like how things develop between Shirayuki and Zen with a lot of honor and respect. The only thing you might object to would be in the second season, after episode 12, when there are pirates, and the head pirate is a lady who does dress in an eye candy kind of way.

Thanks so much! My youngest will need lots of action, so I think I'll go check out some trailers for Naruto!

www.spiritblade.com
    CreatorsPixels
    CreatorsPixels

Activity : 236
    Geek-Cred : 8

Post  CreatorsPixels March 24th 2016, 1:54 pm

Paeter wrote:
    mindspike wrote:Thundercats. Eye of Thundera, give me sight beyond sight! Get the recent Cartoon Network release. There's only one season, but it's got a long story arc and Lion-O gets to make some really hard choices. Plus, Will Friedle voices Lion-O.
    I read this was cancelled on a cliffhanger. Is that true? Not sure I could deal with that.

Thanks for all the great suggestions!

The new version of this was actually pretty good!! Me and the kids enjoyed it even if it did end way too soon. Was a good time to break out the originals and watch them too! Nothing like the classics!!

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is May 16th 2024, 12:18 pm