Christian Geek Central Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Online Community Of Christian Geek Central

5 posters

What's Your Favorite Monster Type for Movies or TV?

Reed Benson
    Reed Benson

Activity : 406
    Geek-Cred : 1

What's Your Favorite Monster Type for Movies or TV? Empty What's Your Favorite Monster Type for Movies or TV?

Post  Reed Benson October 25th 2017, 8:02 pm

Vampires? Werewolves? Zombies? Mummies? Etc.?

I like werewolves, though I have to be picky on which movies/shows I allow myself to watch. A lot of them are too provocative, and others disturb me too much with the body horror.

Bad Moon, The Wolfman, Curse of the Werewolf, Teen Wolf (the movie), etc. are suitable.

Hemlock Grove, Trick r Treat, Skinwalkers, etc. are not

The Howling, An American Werewolf in London, Being Human, etc. are borderline.

An American Werewolf in Paris, Red Riding Hood, all of the Howling sequels, etc. are dumb.

(This is all prescribed to me, by the way. I'm not saying that no one should watch the ones I can't or that anyone can watch the ones I can't.)
    Paeter
    Paeter
    Admin

Activity : 8030
    Geek-Cred : 60

What's Your Favorite Monster Type for Movies or TV? Empty Re: What's Your Favorite Monster Type for Movies or TV?

Post  Paeter October 26th 2017, 10:01 am

I like original monsters invented just for a given movie. Like the Alien, when it first appeared. Others would include John Carpenter's The Thing and The Creeper from Jeepers Creepers.

For me, the fun and fascination of monster movies is having it start out as an unknown quantity (which makes it really creepy to me!) and slowly learning more about it over time. And also the more gross, gory or slimy it is will probably win points with me, too.

Barring original monsters, I like monsters that involve gross and painful transformation from human to monster form.

www.spiritblade.com
    jorowi
    jorowi
    Admin

Activity : 1095
    Geek-Cred : 7

What's Your Favorite Monster Type for Movies or TV? Empty Re: What's Your Favorite Monster Type for Movies or TV?

Post  jorowi October 26th 2017, 12:13 pm

Humans. Humans make the scariest monsters.

Twitter
    Instagram
    Paeter
    Paeter
    Admin

Post  Paeter October 26th 2017, 1:08 pm

jorowi wrote:Humans. Humans make the scariest monsters.

Now is that purely as a joke, or do you also mean that the scariest monsters in fiction are human serial killers, etc.? If that's the case, I'd have to agree. Monsters might make me jump or cringe in the moment. But some stories about humans have left me more deeply disturbed.

www.spiritblade.com
    jorowi
    jorowi
    Admin

Activity : 1095
    Geek-Cred : 7

Post  jorowi October 26th 2017, 1:49 pm

Paeter wrote:…do you also mean that the scariest monsters in fiction are human?

Humans doing monstrous things are scary. It's a reflection of who we are without Christ. That's scary.

Twitter
    Instagram
    AdamCollings
    AdamCollings

Activity : 1755
    Geek-Cred : 11

Post  AdamCollings October 26th 2017, 5:25 pm

I also prefer original monsters, as I feel the classic vampire, werewolf etc. get a bit overdone.
    I have to say, though, the closer a monster is to a dinosaur, the more I'll probably like it. Dinosaurs themselves don't technically count as a monster because they are real animals, although since nobody alive has seen one, I guess you could say all representations of dinosaurs are somewhat fictionalised.

I quite like the alien monster-like animal type you're more likely to see in Star Wars than Star Trek (although we had two very cool creatures in Star Trek (2009). Plus, the tardigrade in Discovery was pretty cool. Of course, no monster can remain a monster in Trek, since we have to come to a new understanding and respect for it.
    mindspike
    mindspike
    Admin

Activity : 1035
    Geek-Cred : 39

Post  mindspike October 26th 2017, 7:26 pm

Vampires, mummies, and the Holy Ghost. These are the things that terrify me the most. No alien, psychopath, or MTV host scares me like vampires, mummies, and the Holy Ghost.

Reed Benson

Activity : 406
    Geek-Cred : 1

Post  Reed Benson October 27th 2017, 6:18 am

Paeter
    Paeter
    Admin

Post  Paeter October 27th 2017, 10:27 am

Reed Benson wrote:

LOL!

www.spiritblade.com

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is May 8th 2024, 12:44 pm