Christian Geek Central Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Online Community Of Christian Geek Central

2 posters

New/Upcoming Tabletop Games That Interest You?

Paeter
    Paeter
    Admin

Activity : 8030
    Geek-Cred : 60

New/Upcoming Tabletop Games That Interest You? Empty New/Upcoming Tabletop Games That Interest You?

Post  Paeter August 15th 2018, 9:59 am

I may end up waiting until next week to make some content about GenCon games, since I like to use The Dice Tower as a key source and their coverage of GenCon has barely started.
    But I thought I'd check and see if anyone else is aware of at least one game that's released in the last couple months or that will be coming in the next 12 months that looks promising to you.

I really only play games that can be played co-op or solo, but the trend toward those games has been on the rise, so I'm looking forward to seeing what new stuff is out there and coming!

www.spiritblade.com
    mindspike
    mindspike
    Admin

Activity : 1035
    Geek-Cred : 39

New/Upcoming Tabletop Games That Interest You? Empty Re: New/Upcoming Tabletop Games That Interest You?

Post  mindspike August 18th 2018, 12:37 pm

Not strictly related, but now that Asmodee has acquired the digital rights to release Gloomhaven on Steam/mobile, I'm curious what your thoughts are on this. I play the digital version of Pathfinder Adventures and I shudder at having to setup, tear down, and track all of those cards on the table top.

Also, it's not out yet, but I have unreasonably high hopes for this....
    New/Upcoming Tabletop Games That Interest You? Pic3651726

Paeter
    Admin

Activity : 8030
    Geek-Cred : 60

New/Upcoming Tabletop Games That Interest You? Empty Re: New/Upcoming Tabletop Games That Interest You?

Post  Paeter August 20th 2018, 11:49 am

Cool! Hope the Robotech game works out for you!

As for the video game version of Gloomhaven, I'm interested, but far from sold. My biggest problem with Gloomhaven was ultimately that the mechanics didn't feel representative of the theme. (Armor that has to recharge before being used again. Combat maneuvers you can't use twice in a row, etc) It felt like a richly layered abstract strategy game with a theme roughly pasted on top of the tactical mechanics.

If that feeling can change in translation to digital, great. Otherwise I'm not the audience for it.

But I can TOTALLY relate to the set-up and tear down issues. Just got back from a gaming weekend with an old buddy and we realized we just didn't have it in us to continue with Sword And Sorcery Immortal Souls. We spent more time setting up and tearing down than actually playing. And the rules and rulebook were so clunky that only playing it every 4-6 months just doesn't make sense. 10 years ago we'd have the drive to pour ourselves into a new, complex rules system. But we also played more frequently and so didn't have to relearn the rules every time.

So we're finishing up the Pathfinder card game and then going back to 1st Edition Descent Road To Legend, unless I find a new dungeon crawl that will hit that sweet spot between complexity and simplicity even better. Off to my Gen Con research!

www.spiritblade.com

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is April 26th 2024, 7:54 am