Christian Geek Central Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Online Community Of Christian Geek Central

2 posters

Batman: Prodigal Christian?

AGoodReed
    AGoodReed

Activity : 834
    Geek-Cred : 4

Batman: Prodigal Christian? Empty Batman: Prodigal Christian?

Post  AGoodReed August 16th 2018, 4:50 am

Apparently, it's now canon that Thomas Wayne was a Christian, or at least a churchgoer who knew the Bible stories, but Bruce lost his faith when his parents were killed.

Michael Foust for ChristianHeadlines.com wrote:In the newest comic from DC, Batman #53, the Dark Knight/Bruce Wayne is “sequestered for questioning as part of a lawsuit that Mr. Freeze is filing against Batman” when Wayne asks a woman about her cross necklace, according to Inverse.com. That’s when Wayne has a flashback, which reveals he abandoned Christianity as a child.

His father, Thomas Wayne, apparently raised Bruce Wayne as a Christian but the younger Wayne drifted from the faith after his parents were murdered.

“Do you believe in God?” a woman asks Wayne.

“I used to,” Batman responds. “My father was a Christian. He held hallow the immortal soul, heaven, the Father and the Son. Giving your will to your Lord, trusting Him with that will. He wanted me to believe, too. But he wanted me to come to it on my own. He went to church. He told me all the stories. Talked a lot about what we can control, what we can’t.”

But after his parents were murdered, Bruce Wayne became upset.

“I put aside believing in a deity. Or believing in anything my father thought had saved him.”

Wayne wonders why God had let his parents die.

“I couldn’t really see that anything had saved him,” Wayne says. “I left Gotham. For a while. I searched for something solid to put my faith in.”

That’s when he became Batman.

“I waited for something to find me,” Wayne says, concluding the flashback.

Then, in the comments section...

Brian McCoppin wrote:In the second half of the story you get the impression he is returning to his faith. He says that "God blesses your soul by Grace " He compares himself to Job and the story's last words are Job 1:21 "Blessed be the name of the Lord."

https://www.christianheadlines.com/contributors/michael-foust/batman-the-ex-christian-new-comic-reveals-how-he-abandoned-faith-in-god.html

By the way, what do you call Batman when he skips church?

Christian Bail.

Okay, I'm done.
    Paeter
    Paeter
    Admin

Activity : 8030
    Geek-Cred : 60

Batman: Prodigal Christian? Empty Re: Batman: Prodigal Christian?

Post  Paeter August 16th 2018, 10:09 am

AGoodReed wrote:

By the way, what do you call Batman when he skips church?

Christian Bail.

Okay, I'm done.

Oh man, that's a beautiful joke.

And thanks for the info! Very curious about the writer, now!

www.spiritblade.com
    Paeter
    Paeter
    Admin

Post  Paeter August 16th 2018, 10:23 am

After some quick searching in Wikipedia, it looks like Tom King is the writer and has a background suited to playing with spiritual themes. He studied philosophy in university and also "penned a Green Lantern one-shot that ties into the "Darkseid War" Justice League storyline, titled "Will You Be My God?". (Wikipedia)

Whether he's a Christian or not, I have no idea. But I think this move makes sense for the Batman character. As a tragic figure, atheism fits. The question will be what implied statements are made about the Christian faith. You could either get the reader on Batman's side with a "faith is nice but impractical" attitude, or you could paint him as an admirable yet damaged man, and use his father as a sort of beacon of truth & virtue from his past.

Wish I had the budget to go hunt down some of these issue and do some proper commentary! Interesting stuff and worth keeping an eye on!

Thanks again for the info!

www.spiritblade.com
    Paeter
    Paeter
    Admin

Post  Paeter August 16th 2018, 10:29 am

Ooh! Found a preview of the pages in question!

https://www.inverse.com/article/48032-batman-was-a-christian-in-batman-issue-53-exclusive-preview

I won't do a video just for this, but I'm going to make a note to possibly comment on it a little in the next Christian Geek Radar.

www.spiritblade.com
    AGoodReed
    AGoodReed

Activity : 834
    Geek-Cred : 4

Post  AGoodReed August 16th 2018, 6:10 pm

Glad you liked it, Paeter!

I always assumed Batman was an atheist or agnostic, though it always depends on who's writing him at the time. I think there was a story once where he gruffly dismissed the idea of God, but I can't remember any specifics.

It's interesting to see what characters tend to practice what religion. Writers like to bounce around with character beliefs. Superman has believed in God before (or so I read), but at other times, he makes reference to Rao, the red sun of Krypton, as if it's a deity. And you have Wonder Woman and the Greek gods, and Thor and the Norse gods, and maybe Black Adam and the Egyptian gods. And I remember Blue Demon being a Catholic even though he sizzles whenever he's in a church. Oh, and Wolfsbane of the New Mutants was super Catholic...except when she started sleeping around. Again, it depended on the writer.

Really, it seems like, in Marvel and DC, all gods exist...which really makes atheist characters seem pretty foolish, doesn't it?

Especially Mr. Terrific. That guy is ridiculous in his atheism in the middle of Infinite Crisis.
    Paeter
    Paeter
    Admin

Post  Paeter August 20th 2018, 11:33 am

AGoodReed wrote:

Really, it seems like, in Marvel and DC, all gods exist...which really makes atheist characters seem pretty foolish, doesn't it?

Especially Mr. Terrific. That guy is ridiculous in his atheism in the middle of Infinite Crisis.

Yeah, reading some of Mr. Terrific's interactions on the subject of faith made me wonder if the writers felt that atheism is as irrational as they make it look through that character. I mean, his origin story involved meeting and interacting with The Spectre! Wow!

www.spiritblade.com

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is April 26th 2024, 10:27 am