Christian Geek Central Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Online Community Of Christian Geek Central

3 posters

Judge Dredd (Sylvester Stallone)

Paeter
    Paeter
    Admin

Activity : 8030
    Geek-Cred : 60

Judge Dredd (Sylvester Stallone) Empty Judge Dredd (Sylvester Stallone)

Post  Paeter October 18th 2018, 9:44 am

Re-watching this one to talk about it on the Retro Rewind Podcast next week. Anyone see this when it came out? What did you think of it then or now?

I'm thinking this will make for an interesting conversation when we talk about it!

www.spiritblade.com
    AdamCollings
    AdamCollings

Activity : 1755
    Geek-Cred : 11

Judge Dredd (Sylvester Stallone) Empty Re: Judge Dredd (Sylvester Stallone)

Post  AdamCollings October 18th 2018, 4:58 pm

I saw it when it hit video, so probably around 6 months later. I don't have any particularly strong memories, but that trailer has sparked the memory a bit.
    Back in the day I thought it was a decent dystopian sci-fi, but I was unfamiliar with the franchise, so it was just another action sci-fi movie.

I'll be interested to hear your thoughts.
    (Also, when did 1995 become "old classic" territory?)
    mindspike
    mindspike
    Admin

Activity : 1035
    Geek-Cred : 39

Post  mindspike October 18th 2018, 8:30 pm

This is still one of my go-to films. The action is solid, Stallone is in full 90s action hero mode, and the world is cyberpunkish without being really nasty and depressing. It's much more like the DC Judge Dredd run than the original 2000 AD where Dredd originated. Stallone's Dredd is a well-rounded character whose dedication to the law is based on his certainty of an absolute right. If the movie could be summed up, it would be here, "You will be alone when you swear to uphold the law."

It's really nothing like the recent Dredd 3D, which is much more graphic and violent but which I thought traded story substance for scripted cleverness. If Dredd 3D appealed to you, you should also check out The Raid: Redemption, an Indonesian film that preceded Dredd but which is virtually identical. Dredd just filed off the serial numbers and made the same film in a sci-fi version.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is April 26th 2024, 7:32 pm