Christian Geek Central Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Online Community Of Christian Geek Central

2 posters

The Perfect Dungeons & Dragons Movie

mindspike
    mindspike
    Admin

Activity : 1035
    Geek-Cred : 39

The Perfect Dungeons & Dragons Movie Empty The Perfect Dungeons & Dragons Movie

Post  mindspike July 27th 2020, 5:07 pm

Was anyone else yelling at their phone during this last podcast?

As an aside, there was a third official D&D movie, The Book of Vile Darkness. It wasn't a bad movie, but it never got a DVD release that I know of. It's not even available digitally anywhere.

But the real gem here is this:

It's not exactly Hollywood blockbuster budget, but this movie is everything Paeter described. It has a game within the game. It follows the lives of the players apart from the game. The game is (mostly) serious, the gamers less so. It is eminently quotable. This movie has real heart. It is one of my favorite movies of all time. I watch Star Wars and Lord of the Rings two or three times a year on average. Dorkness Rising winds up on the tv once a month or so.

The Dead Gentlemen/Zombie Orpheus YouTube channel has a free version, but Amazon Prime has it in HD. Dead Gentlemen has done of a ton of other movies in the Gamers series including: The Gamers (original), Dorkness Rising (this one), Hands of Fate, The Shadow Menace, Natural One, Humans & Households, and two Live shows. They have several other fantasy shows, including Journey Quest and Demon Hunters.

We actually got to meet the cast and crew at GenCon in 2015. They seemed like nice people.

Movies 1, 3, and 4 have an additional layer to the storytelling. They postulate that the world of the game is just as real as the world of the players. Playing the game either reveals or controls the destiny of the characters, depending on the circumstances. Seriously, there is so much in this franchise to talk about. If you haven't seen any of them yet, you are in for a treat.

Paeter
    Admin

Activity : 8030
    Geek-Cred : 60

The Perfect Dungeons & Dragons Movie Empty Re: The Perfect Dungeons & Dragons Movie

Post  Paeter August 3rd 2020, 9:19 pm

mindspike wrote:Was anyone else yelling at their phone during this last podcast?
    As an aside, there was a third official D&D movie, The Book of Vile Darkness. It wasn't a bad movie, but it never got a DVD release that I know of. It's not even available digitally anywhere.

I imported my copy of the DVD. Good for scratching that itch!

So which part were you yelling at?

I may have been judging The Gamers movies by their covers. (You shouldn't do that with books, but I still do. Movies even more so.)

I'll consider giving them a shot! Thanks for the info!

www.spiritblade.com
    mindspike
    mindspike
    Admin

Activity : 1035
    Geek-Cred : 39

The Perfect Dungeons & Dragons Movie Empty Re: The Perfect Dungeons & Dragons Movie

Post  mindspike August 6th 2020, 6:20 pm

Paeter wrote:So which part were you yelling at?

I'm surprised you couldn't hear me! Laughing

When you were talking about your perfect D&D movie, I kept waiting for you to talk about the Gamers. "Hands of Fate" and "The Shadow Menace" go deep into the subjects of causality and free will. It finally dawned on me that the only possible explanation is that you have never seen them. Preposterous! Unthinkable! Nongrammatical!

The language is comedy-R for HoF and TSM, but the other movies are either PG, or have a "clean version". Seriously, anyone who's never seen this, treat yourself to it. Just be sure to have waffles on hand for after the movie. cheers

Paeter
    Admin

Activity : 8030
    Geek-Cred : 60

Post  Paeter August 7th 2020, 9:32 am

mindspike wrote:

Just be sure to have waffles on hand for after the movie. cheers [/quote]

Okay, now you have me really curious. Thanks!

www.spiritblade.com

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is April 29th 2024, 7:02 am