Christian Geek Central Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Online Community Of Christian Geek Central

2 posters

My overall review of DC Rebirth (or what I've read of it)

AGoodReed
    AGoodReed

Activity : 835
    Geek-Cred : 4

My overall review of DC Rebirth (or what I've read of it) Empty My overall review of DC Rebirth (or what I've read of it)

Post  AGoodReed April 24th 2021, 9:04 am

I'm done with all the books from DC's Rebirth branding period (2016-2018, I think) that I'm interested in reading. Here are the ones I've read:

Action Comics vols. 1-5
    All-Star Batman vols. 1-3
    Batman vols. 1-5
    Batman: Detective Comics vols. 1-5
    Batman: Night of the Monster Men
    Batman/The Flash: The Button
    Green Lanterns vols. 1-5
    Hal Jordan and the Green Lantern Corps vols. 1-6
    Justice League vols. 1-5
    Justice League of America vols. 1-4
    Justice League of America: Road to Rebirth
    Justice League vs. Suicide Squad
    Supergirl vols. 1-3
    Superman vols. 1-6
    Superman Reborn
    Super Sons vols. 1-2
    Trinity vols. 1-3
    Wonder Woman vols. 1-5

(I've continued reading most of these since the Rebirth branding disappeared, but these are all the ones that have that branding on their covers, so they're the ones I'm focusing on here.)

To crib from Paeter, I don't know what anyone else's tastes in comics are, but if I were a time traveler, I'd say, "Roads? Where we're going, we don't need…roads," and I'd go back in time and tell myself, "Reed, here's what you should do:

"Read Action Comics. Seeing the Clark, Lois, and Jon Kent being a family is worth it, as is seeing the beginning of Jon Kent and Damian Wayne's friendship.
    "You might as well read All-Star Batman even though it feels like a different universe. You like Scott Snyder's work. But don't expect the Blackhawks to make a lot of sense when you read Dark Nights Metal later.
    "Read all of Tom King's Batman run. Even though there are some bits you don't care for, the good far outweighs the bad, especially the 'War of Jokes and Riddles.'
    "Read Batman/The Flash: The Button because it's a prequel to Doomsday Clock.
    "Read Green Lanterns because Jessica Cruz and Simon Baz will grow on you (even though it makes no sense for Cruz to be that fit considering her history), and the story of the 'first Lantern' is the tops.
    "Read all of Hal Jordan and the Green Lantern Corps because the whole dang Corps is cool, and Robert Venditti is just as good at writing them as he was with X-O Manowar at Valiant.
    "Read Justice League vs. Suicide Squad. It's a big Amanda Waller-based story, and she always elevates things. You're not that into the Squad as the main characters, but they're good when paired with the big guns.
    "Read Superman for the same reasons as Action Comics, but also because you need to know about Mr. Oz.
    "Read Superman Reborn even though it will be annoying to you. Everything afterwards will probably be too confusing if you skip it.
    "Read Super Sons to enjoy Jon Kent and Damien Wayne interacting. It'll be helpful to appreciate their relationship later.
    "Read Wonder Woman. You've never gotten into her solo books before, but this one will connect with you.

"Only read the first two volumes of Supergirl. The second one is particularly important for the character. But the fallout from what happens doesn't really meet expectations. Plus, the LGBTQ signaling escalates.

"Skip Batman: Detective Comics. There are only a couple parts you'll enjoy, and the rest of it will just make Batman look bad. Plus, the LGBTQ signaling is strong. There's even a recurring transgendered character.
    "Skip Batman: Night of the Monster Men. It doesn't really matter, even though it is referenced by Batman in other books occasionally.
    "Skip Justice League. It acts like its building to something big, but then it just seems to drop it. Also, the Flash should not date Jessica.
    "Skip Justice League of America and it's prequel. Even though Justice League vs. Suicide Squad leads right into it, and the story of Killer Frost's reformation is enjoyable, the rest is just kind of annoying. There's more LGBTQ action, too, since the Ray is gay. And none of it has any bearing on anything after Rebirth.
    "Skip Trinity. It doesn't really affect anything.

"When in doubt, skip anything written by Steve Orlando. He's bi and he wants you to know it.

"As for what you should read once the Rebirth branding goes away, keep reading Action Comics, Batman, Superman, Hal Jordan and the Green Lantern Corps (there's only one more book), and volumes 7 and 8 of Wonder Woman. You'll want to start reading Supergirl again, too, once the numbering on the trades goes back to one. And there will be more that you'll want to start reading, but I'll wait until the next time travel review to tell you about them.

"(Oh, and while I've got your attention, you really should go back to China when you have the chance in March 2020. It'll save you money in the long run. But make sure you get mom to hand her old iPad down before you do so you can read all these comics!)"
    Paeter
    Paeter
    Admin

Activity : 8031
    Geek-Cred : 60

My overall review of DC Rebirth (or what I've read of it) Empty Re: My overall review of DC Rebirth (or what I've read of it)

Post  Paeter April 26th 2021, 1:47 pm

Thanks for posting this, Reed!

www.spiritblade.com

Current date/time is May 17th 2024, 7:01 am