Christian Geek Central Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Online Community Of Christian Geek Central

2 posters

Lost Bits by Kerry Nietz

AdamCollings
    AdamCollings

Activity : 1755
    Geek-Cred : 11

Lost Bits by Kerry Nietz Empty Lost Bits by Kerry Nietz

Post  AdamCollings June 1st 2022, 6:49 pm

Just wanted to let you guys know about Lost Bits by Kerry Nietz, which releases today.
    I'm half way through and really enjoying it. Populating a book with robots, which are essentially machines running software can be challenging, especially when the point-of-view character is a robot. But Nietz does a fantastic job of making them sympathetic likable characters.
    You can find it at https://amzn.to/3x4fZ78

Lost Bits by Kerry Nietz Lostbi10
    Paeter
    Paeter
    Admin

Activity : 8030
    Geek-Cred : 60

Lost Bits by Kerry Nietz Empty Re: Lost Bits by Kerry Nietz

Post  Paeter June 2nd 2022, 4:43 pm

Interesting to hear! Especially hearing a Christian tackling this premise!

How do you think someone like me would feel about the book? By that I mean, someone who tends to get rubbed the wrong way when a story asks me to emotionally invest in the "personhood" of AI. It can work for me if the AI is possibly given a "soul" by God. Something like this was suggested but never confirmed in Battlestar Galactica, which gave me the wiggle room I needed to consider the Cylons as potential persons. It can also potentially work if it is not in our universe, but a totally fictional realm, which makes it easier for me to absorb it as metaphor or allegory. Without giving plot spoilers, is there anything that suggests a similar possibility in this book?

www.spiritblade.com
    AdamCollings
    AdamCollings

Post  AdamCollings June 2nd 2022, 6:50 pm

I'll probably be able to answer this question better once I've finished it. So far, there is nothing that is especially asking the reader to invest in the robot's personhood. Other than the fact that the protagonist, and all other characters encountered so far are robots. KL-404 will sometimes be described as laughing, and emotions are sometimes ascribed to him. Whether those emotions are real of simulated is kind of up to the reader to decide so far.

One character is a ComPanion. Basically a smart phone designed to be an artificial "friend" to a person. It seems pretty clear to me that this is an advanced AI but not intended to be a person. It's clever programming. But that doesn't stop me enjoying the interplay between "him" and K-404. The big thing driving me through the book is the mystery of what happened to this world? Where are the humans? How long was K-404 lying in that junk yard before he powered up?

I'll check back in with you when I'm done. I plan to do a review in written, video and audio formats. I'm part of Kerry's street team for this book.

As for your tastes, you might actually be interested in a book called "Alpha Redemption". (BTW do you know how many naked man chests you see when you search Amazon for this title?)
    https://www.amazon.com/Alpha-Redemption-P-Baines-ebook/dp/B08YNW3RJP/ref=sr_1_1

It explores the question "Can an AI be saved?"

Here's my review from back in 2012
    Adam wrote:
    Hard science fiction, a deeply dramatic character arc, lots of spiritual metaphor, and exploration of the interesting questions. This book has it all. Brett is a broken man. He's never been the same since the death of his wife and children. He has turned away from his faith in God. With nothing left to lose, he takes on a dangerous job - being the first human to travel beyond light-speed on an interstellar journey to Alpha Centauri. Along the way, the ship's computer - Jay - begins to show signs of artificial intelligence - of sentience.

This book deals with questions that some Christians might find controversial. If there were such a thing as AI, could a machine have a spiritual aspect to them? Could they have a soul? But isn't that what good science fiction always does? It asks questions. It asks "What if?"

The structure of the book is atypical. It alternates between the present-day story on the spaceship and glimpses from Brett's past. I hesitate to call these flashback scenes back story, because they are intrinsically part of the tale being told. In much the same way as the television series Lost, each chapter features a story from a different part of Brett's life. Scenes alternate between the present and flashbacks. These flashbacks are linked to the present-day part of the chapter on a thematic level. Each new chapter takes the back story further back in time - so we see Brett's life in reserve. This structure takes a little concentration at first, but I figured out the pattern quite early, and then I just left myself get swept away by the story. I don't want to give too much away, but there are important reasons for using this particular structure. Trust me - it works.

This story doesn't just use space as a setting. It is a genuine science fiction story that has some interesting concepts and mysteries - many of which are never fully explained. This just adds to the feelings of wonder.

As a character drama - the book is filled with heartache and hope. You can't help but feel for these characters.

This book deserves to be remembered as a classic. A true Christian Sci-fi.
    Paeter
    Paeter
    Admin

Post  Paeter June 6th 2022, 6:47 pm

Interesting, thanks, Adam!

www.spiritblade.com
    AdamCollings
    AdamCollings

Post  AdamCollings June 6th 2022, 6:52 pm

So I've finished the book now, and I think I can set your mind at ease on this one. While the robots in this story are very likable and sympathetic, their emotions are simulated. 404 himself acknowledges this. The book doesn't ask us to invest in the robot's personhood. 404 does value the lives of his friends when others see them only as scrap to be recycled (and we are expected to do the same), but ultimately, the book affirms the value of human life over machines. 404 believes this and it's ultimately what drives his actions.

Here is my review

Adam wrote:Lost Bits is told entirely from the point of view of a robot - K404. And most of the characters in the book are also robots. This might present a challenge to most authors, but Kerry Nietz pulls it off beautifully. He gives a sense of realism to the operations and cognition of a machine, in the way that only a former software developer can, but at the same time, he imbues 404 and his surrounding characters with personality and humanity that makes them extremely sympathetic and likeable.

There are two main threads that pulled me through this story. The first was the friendly interplay between the characters. 404 gathers a growing tribe of robots around him that serve as his friends, and then his family. I especially liked the dynamic between 404 and Sam. The other thread was the mystery of what has happened to the world. 404 wakes up in a junkyard with no memory of how he got there. As he makes his way through his surroundings, it becomes clear that the world has changed greatly from the one he knew. What happened, and where are all the humans? Most importantly, is the human family he was programmed to serve still alive?

There is a fun surprise in this book for long-time readers of Kerry Nietz, but first-time readers will be none the wiser and have a complete and satisfying experience.

While this book makes it easy for us to invest emotionally in these robot characters, value them, and care for their well-being, it ultimately affirms the value of human life over machines. This is a principle that 404 believes passionately and will drive his actions into the exciting climax. Ultimately, this book gives us a surprising exploration of nobility and the nature of love.

Lost Bits was refreshing and enjoyable. This story functions very well as a complete stand-alone story. No sequel is required, but the ending definitely allows for the possibility of more. If Kerry Nietz ever does decide to write another Lost Bits book, I would certainly enjoy spending more time with these characters.

Highly recommended for fans of robot sci-fi and buddy drama.
    Paeter
    Paeter
    Admin

Post  Paeter June 6th 2022, 6:58 pm

Interesting! A sort of halfway point that does try to create some emotional investment but not belief in personhood. Almost putting the robots in the same category as certain types of animals.

www.spiritblade.com

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is May 6th 2024, 3:01 pm