Christian Geek Central Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Online Community Of Christian Geek Central

Rewatching Star Trek TOS

mindspike
    mindspike
    Admin

Activity : 1035
    Geek-Cred : 39

Rewatching Star Trek TOS Empty Rewatching Star Trek TOS

Post  mindspike August 2nd 2023, 9:39 pm

So I'm watching through all of Star Trek: TOS for the first time in a long time. I know that when HD became widespread, both TOS and TNG received digital restorations and digital makeovers of certain graphics. I did a watchthrough of both TNG and DS9 recently. They both look good, and while the new art was noticeable, it did not detract from the show.

TOS is another story entirely. For one thing, I notice immediately that sets, props, and especially uniforms all show the evidence of the time in which they were produced and a studio on a strict budget. It's kind of distracting to see Spock's uniforms continually stained and faded in patches. The FX are hardest hit. The display screens are obviously prints or paintings. Other controls are clearly analog. The costuming (especially aliens and wounds) is obviously latex.

I'm actually okay with all of this. It is the work they did in the style they did it. I can just see it more clearly now. But then I watched Galileo 7, much of which occurs in space in a quasar. The shuttlecraft in space scenes seem to have been replaced entirely rather than just touched up. It was distressing. It was very clearly not the show I remember watching, and I found myself wondering if the original FX shots were preserved at all. I expect I can find some side-by-sides on YouTube.....

Current date/time is May 6th 2024, 7:52 am