Christian Geek Central Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Online Community Of Christian Geek Central

2 posters

Why not wear a cross...

Hackmodford
    Hackmodford
    Tech Admin
    Alliance Director

Activity : 797
    Geek-Cred : 7

Why not wear a cross... Empty Why not wear a cross...

Post  Hackmodford March 15th 2011, 11:36 am

Another reason not to wear a cross is because it's a graven image, and God hates them. (Atleast that's how it's been presented to me)

Also wearing a "cross" to show you're a christian is not necessary. If anything, your life should prove that you're a christian.

What'ch ya think?

Why not wear a cross... UntoldAlliancesJPG1_Resized

Goozex: Trade Videogames and save money!
    mindspike
    mindspike
    Admin

Activity : 1035
    Geek-Cred : 39

Why not wear a cross... Empty Re: Why not wear a cross...

Post  mindspike March 15th 2011, 1:05 pm

Alistair Begg and CJ Mahaney, at least, disagrees with you. They have spoken many times on the centrality of the cross in the position of the early Christian church and in the modern Christian mind.
    1 Corinthians 1 wrote:18 For the message of the cross is foolishness to those who are perishing, but to us who are being saved it is the power of God. 19 For it is written:

“I will destroy the wisdom of the wise;
    the intelligence of the intelligent I will frustrate.”

20 Where is the wise person? Where is the teacher of the law? Where is the philosopher of this age? Has not God made foolish the wisdom of the world? 21 For since in the wisdom of God the world through its wisdom did not know him, God was pleased through the foolishness of what was preached to save those who believe. 22 Jews demand signs and Greeks look for wisdom, 23 but we preach Christ crucified: a stumbling block to Jews and foolishness to Gentiles, 24 but to those whom God has called, both Jews and Greeks, Christ the power of God and the wisdom of God. 25 For the foolishness of God is wiser than human wisdom, and the weakness of God is stronger than human strength.
    The cross in the mind of the Protestant Christian is not an object of worship itself, but rather an emblem of the act which it portrays, in the same way that the act of communion is not worship of the host, but a reminder of the act of Christ's sacrifice.

Hackmodford
    Tech Admin
    Alliance Director

Activity : 797
    Geek-Cred : 7

Post  Hackmodford March 15th 2011, 1:07 pm

Yep that's a good argument. But I can also see the point of view where "why would you wear a gun around your neck?"

That one makes the most sense to me.

I mean would you wear say... a Hangman's noose as a necklace ornament?

it's really weird/funny when you think about it that way.

Why not wear a cross... UntoldAlliancesJPG1_Resized

Goozex: Trade Videogames and save money!
    mindspike
    mindspike
    Admin

Activity : 1035
    Geek-Cred : 39

Post  mindspike March 15th 2011, 5:01 pm

I think it would be weird if the noose or the gun were a fashion statement, rather than an identifier or a status symbol. Millions of Americans were guns every day as a badge of office (not around their neck, of course). Millions more wear slipknots around their neck as a status symbol and statement of fashion that says "business professional".

Both of these choices are done in order to identify the wearer with a larger ideal - that of law enforcement or professional conduct. I see no difference when a Christian wears a cross in order to visibly and immediately identified by strangers or fellows as a member of that fraternity. Recall that the early church wore or displayed the ichthus as an identifier of their belief in the "Way", as a member of the church.

The centrality of the cross in the Christian life is unique, and uniquely important. The cross is the chosen tool of Christ's physical suffering, the emblem of his work, and a graphic reminder of what it will mean to continue in the Christian life. We will experience hardship and persecution. We will drink of the cup of Christ's suffering. While the emblem of the cross is meaningless without the following teaching of the open tomb, it is the cross that was chosen by the Apostles to be the focal point of their preaching on the redemptive work of Christ. The empty tomb is not important as a symbol of "victory over death", the empty tomb is important because it confirms that the work of Christ on the cross, that of substitutionary atonement, was accepted by God as valid and complete. In consequence, we return to the cross as the ultimate symbol of that redemption and the place of true justification.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is April 27th 2024, 1:02 pm