Christian Geek Central Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Online Community Of Christian Geek Central

2 posters

Christians And "Unsterilized" Entertainment

ColinSnow

Activity : 5
    Geek-Cred : 0

Christians And "Unsterilized" Entertainment Empty Christians And "Unsterilized" Entertainment

Post  ColinSnow April 2nd 2011, 2:29 pm

Paeter,

We've known each other for a while, and have had discussions of varying lengths and degrees. While I may not fully follow one path, I understand the teachings and lessons the bible is attempting to portray as a layman (unlike being a scholar, like yourself).

Your two posts on "Christians And "Unsterilized" Entertainment" offers alot of information to digest. It would take more time that I have to piece together my thoughts on the two to four pages (MS Word wise) that you have wrote, I would like to offer some of them.

1. I'm glad you mentioned that there are parables within the bible. Such things need to be told to so we, as a culture, can learn.

2. World of Warcraft, Dungeons and Dragons, and video games - A few weeks ago I saw this youtube video (that is now down). The person in the video held up photos of some of the creatures (that are simply animated graphics of talented people) from the game. One of the creatures happens to be a close of of the face of Deathwing (http://www.wowwiki.com/Deathwing) from the World of Warcraft game. Taken out of context this may be a pretty gruesome looking dragon (not demon as the girl in the youtube video was stating).

The writeup for this fictional dragon mentions "the Old Ones'" several times and I can't heklp but this of HP Lovecraft given his Cthulhu Mythos which has been in varying media since it's creation (Stephen King and Doctor Who).

I mention the above because this young woman wants others to band with her against the game, much like those that had against Dungeons and Dragons (D&D), Mortal Combat, and other such games.

I myself have spent way too much time playing WoW (World of Warcraft) because it is addicting and there is many things for one to do in the game. I'll also admit that there are those that probably have become addicted to it alot more that I have, like those that become addicted to cigarettes or alcohol and it is an issue. This is not the game makers fault however, it is possible that the person playing might have some issue in their life that they are trying to avoid. I myself found it way more easier to talk to people in WoW than I do in real life. Same can be said for the internet.

3. Harry Potter - Some of you might not care for the series, some might, but if you don't I have to ask why? The very last story is about three friends doing what they can to defeat evil. Isn't that a good thing? I can understand how "witchcraft" itself can be seen as evil as there is Haitian Vodo.

However, after some research for this post, even Vodo is not evil in itself. Like a gun or atomic weaponry it depends on the user of such.

I welcome retorts and discussions. I would like to state that I wouldn't mind debating about anything in my post, but the moment it becomes a flame war. i will stop talking and ignore any comments.
    Paeter
    Paeter
    Admin

Activity : 8030
    Geek-Cred : 60

Christians And "Unsterilized" Entertainment Empty Re: Christians And "Unsterilized" Entertainment

Post  Paeter April 5th 2011, 12:12 am

Hey Colin,

Thanks for the response! Regarding #2, I'm not sure what kind of positive dialogue can happen with folks like the one you described. I wouldn't recommend getting into a public debate with these folks on the youtube comment threads, but you might post a link to www.spiritblade.net/brentweeks, which links to the podcasts dealing with "Christians and Unsterilized Entertainment" and then ask what responses they might have after hearing the case that I believe scripture makes.

Regarding #3, I'd recommend starting a fresh thread on that topic, though you might check to see if a similar one has been started already. (I can't remember.)

Regarding voodoo, or any system of belief, it's important to examine any and all truth claims that are made in attachment to the issue in question.

In the case of Haitian Voodoo, where does this system of belief claim the power to work magic comes from? What other claims does this system of belief make about the nature of humans and God? Many religions teach us to love each other, but many of these same religions also ask us to reject the teaching of Jesus in favor of their own teaching. If Jesus was just a wise, nice man, but wasn't God, it's not such a big deal to reject an element of his teaching in favor of an alternative view. But if Jesus is TRULY God, then rejecting any of his teaching in favor of something else is evil.

So the foundation of the matter lies with the true identity of Jesus. The quest for truth regarding his identity is possibly the most important quest anyone can undertake.

www.spiritblade.com
    Paeter
    Paeter
    Admin

Activity : 8030
    Geek-Cred : 60

Christians And "Unsterilized" Entertainment Empty Re: Christians And "Unsterilized" Entertainment

Post  Paeter April 5th 2011, 12:15 am

ColinSnow wrote:(unlike being a scholar, like yourself).

Oh yeah, and I would never refer to myself as a scholar. (Yikes!) But thanks for the sentiment.

www.spiritblade.com

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is April 28th 2024, 7:13 am