Christian Geek Central Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Online Community Of Christian Geek Central

4 posters

Resistance is Futile, Redux

cleireac
    cleireac

Activity : 388
    Geek-Cred : 7

Resistance is Futile, Redux Empty Resistance is Futile, Redux

Post  cleireac November 26th 2012, 12:20 pm

Just returned home from vacation. My geek asserted itself while I was away. Picked up two copies of The Shadow Strikes (#30 @ 31) comics, one copy of first issue of The Shadow film adaptation comics (for a total of $3 and some change).

Then my dad presented me with the first issue of Spider-Man Legend of the Arachknight and X-Men Unlimited #1.

Never been a comic collector; now what? geek
    ComiKate
    ComiKate

Activity : 410
    Geek-Cred : 21

Resistance is Futile, Redux Empty Re: Resistance is Futile, Redux

Post  ComiKate November 27th 2012, 8:49 pm

cleireac wrote:Never been a comic collector; now what? geek
    No use resisting indeed... I'm afraid you have been assimilated into the comicgeek collective, adding your geeky distinctiveness to the hive...
    Paeter
    Paeter
    Admin

Activity : 8031
    Geek-Cred : 60

Post  Paeter November 28th 2012, 2:36 pm

Are you interested in more comics about those same characters, or comics similar to those?

www.spiritblade.com
    cleireac
    cleireac

Post  cleireac November 28th 2012, 3:06 pm

Paeter wrote:Are you interested in more comics about those same characters, or comics similar to those?

I do have several digital versions of golden age Shadow comics, as well as a hard-bound Shadow 1941 graphic novel, and I was really looking to fill out a collection of the stories. So I guess the answer would be more I would love more Shadow comics.
    Rickster
    Rickster

Activity : 2338
    Geek-Cred : 16

Post  Rickster November 29th 2012, 1:43 am

cleireac wrote:
    Paeter wrote:Are you interested in more comics about those same characters, or comics similar to those?

I do have several digital versions of golden age Shadow comics, as well as a hard-bound Shadow 1941 graphic novel, and I was really looking to fill out a collection of the stories. So I guess the answer would be more I would love more Shadow comics.

Is this comic series based on the OTR Shadow character?
    cleireac
    cleireac

Post  cleireac November 29th 2012, 11:44 am

Rickster wrote:
    Is this comic series based on the OTR Shadow character?

Its a little more complicated than that. Originally, the character was invented to be sort of an announcer to introduce radio dramas based on mystery pulp magazine stories from publisher Street & Smith. Eventually, he got to be so popular, that people started asking for magazines featuring the character. So, Street & Smith introduced The Shadow Magazine as a bi-monthly, then within the first three months it sold so well it went monthly, and then bi-weekly. From that point the character moved from an announcer to the star of the radio show. As the pulps were starting to decline and comics took over, Street & Smith introduced a line of comics that featured the Shadow and (which looks to me anyway) was a blend of the radio and pulp iterations (there are some significant differences between the two).

In the 70's and 80's the comic character was resurrected, I think it part, because the pulp stories were reissued as paperback novels, and the character has been a recurring hero ever since. I'm sort of partial to the Michael Wm. Kaluta and Denny O'Neill versions, but I did enjoy the two-part story from The Shadow Strikes series I picked up. I seem to recall reading one issue from this series several years ago, but have no idea where I got it or where it went.

The neat thing is that each iteration (radio, pulp magazine and comic) are very different (and that doesn't even begin to include the film and TV versions). I know a lot of purists say that the pulp version is the "true" version, and I lean in that direction somewhat, but I do enjoy the others as well (except for the comic versions that place the character in the modern day).

If you're interested, there's a new podcast that just went live about a month or two ago called 'The Shadow Fan Podcast' (available via iTunes). He covers all the versions quite nicely.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content