Christian Geek Central Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Online Community Of Christian Geek Central

NPR series on Losing Our Religion

NPR series on Losing Our Religion Empty NPR series on Losing Our Religion

Post  Guest January 17th 2013, 11:28 am

http://www.npr.org/series/169065270/losing-our-religion

I haven't been following NPR as much as I used to, but today I caught a portion of a series the radio station has been running about religion in the U.S., exploring findings of a trend that a younger generation have disconnected from religion at a higher rate than previous generations in the U.S. (though still maintaining a higher rate of religious devotion than in other similarly developed countries in the world).

It delves into possible explanations for why this trend is occurring (if you believe it is a legitimate phenomenon). Some of their conclusions match up with some of my own speculations about religious-social-political trends that I thought could have a negative impact on the stability of the religious community's population.

There are people who I've conversed with in real life who have tagged NPR as "liberal", so let me just put that out there now. I grew up in a family where my parents (and therefore the whole family) listened to it...on the way to church. I'm not interested in it. I perused the transcripts to see if there was information that was constructive or instructive, and with a critical eye.

I thought I would start a topic here in case anyone was interested in the article, from a "State of the Religion" standpoint (as a counterpart to such things as State of the Union, or State of the State and so forth). Is this article useful to religious organizations as a general thing and Christianity in particular (this forum being a Christian-specific venue)?

Are there flaws in the data? Erroneous conclusions? Without being doomsayers about it, can it be concluded as a true trend?

Current date/time is May 6th 2024, 11:41 pm