Christian Geek Central Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Online Community Of Christian Geek Central

3 posters

Christian entertainment

Rickster
    Rickster

Activity : 2338
    Geek-Cred : 16

Christian entertainment Empty Christian entertainment

Post  Rickster June 12th 2013, 2:44 am

Do you think Christian entertainment (movies music radio TV etc.) is keeping Christians outside of the world instead of in it?
    Rohelf
    Rohelf

Activity : 142
    Geek-Cred : 0

Christian entertainment Empty Re: Christian entertainment

Post  Rohelf June 12th 2013, 11:16 am

I think Christian entertainment can certainly contribute to some believers' isolation from the world around them, but I'm not sure it it's more the cause or the effect.  Many of these works serve to reinforce very narrow ideas of what is proper for Christians and normal for non-Christians, but I don't think they created these ideas.  They often present a world where all the answers are easy and all problems are solvable by prayer, and I can see how that would contribute to avoiding or denying these things in reality, but again, I think that's an exacerbation of a problem that would exist without the niche media.  Sadly, many works of entertainment marketed as "Christian" are also of low artistic quality, which provokes (not entirely unfair) mockery from the secular entertainment industry, only widening the divide.
    Paeter
    Paeter
    Admin

Activity : 8030
    Geek-Cred : 60

Post  Paeter June 12th 2013, 2:45 pm

Rickster wrote:Do you think Christian entertainment (movies music radio TV etc.) is keeping Christians outside of the world instead of in it?
    I've puzzled over the cause of this phenomenon over the year. I tend to lean toward the preaching in American churches as the cause. It seems to me that better teaching from the pulpits, teaching which values discernment and direct biblical exegesis(pulling ideas from the text, rather than using the text to support pre-existing ideas), would result in Christians who can more effectively live in the world without being influenced by it.

www.spiritblade.com

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is April 27th 2024, 2:11 pm