Christian Geek Central Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Online Community Of Christian Geek Central

+2
BenAvery
Paeter
6 posters

Batman: The Dark Knight Returns, Deluxe Edition

Paeter
    Paeter
    Admin

Activity : 8030
    Geek-Cred : 60

Batman: The Dark Knight Returns, Deluxe Edition Empty Batman: The Dark Knight Returns, Deluxe Edition

Post  Paeter September 16th 2013, 2:06 pm

Snatched up the blu-ray last week. They've stitched both halves into one epic movie and added a feature length documentary about the making of the graphic novel and a cast and crew commentary for the whole movie. The doc alone made this worth "double-dipping" for me. New interviews with Frank Miller and other DC creatives. Very cool.
    I may do a quick review on this new presentation of the material. Very impressed so far.

www.spiritblade.com
    BenAvery
    BenAvery

Activity : 322
    Geek-Cred : 16

Batman: The Dark Knight Returns, Deluxe Edition Empty Re: Batman: The Dark Knight Returns, Deluxe Edition

Post  BenAvery September 23rd 2013, 2:34 pm

I am VERY glad I did not buy these already!
    David N. Alderman
    David N. Alderman

Activity : 67
    Geek-Cred : 3

Batman: The Dark Knight Returns, Deluxe Edition Empty Re: Batman: The Dark Knight Returns, Deluxe Edition

Post  David N. Alderman September 26th 2013, 5:08 pm

Definitely at the top of my list of all-time favorite movie series. Very Happy 
    tmorrill
    tmorrill

Activity : 405
    Geek-Cred : 20

Post  tmorrill September 27th 2013, 1:55 am

Personally I never heard of The Dark Knight Returns, but based on your guy's reaction alone I just ordered it. I'm really looking forward to it getting here!

Although I am a bit curious the "Returns" part seems to imply it's a sequel. Is there another movie that I should watch before this one?
    Paeter
    Paeter
    Admin

Post  Paeter September 30th 2013, 11:08 am

tmorrill wrote:Personally I never heard of The Dark Knight Returns, but based on your guy's reaction alone I just ordered it. I'm really looking forward to it getting here!

Although I am a bit curious the "Returns" part seems to imply it's a sequel. Is there another movie that I should watch before this one?
    No. It's based on the story of the same name written by Frank Miller in the mid-80's and centers on the idea of a Batman who has been retired for 10 years returning to crime fighting when Gotham City becomes more of a hellhole than ever before. It is a "what if" story, but one that shaped the feel and approach of mainstream Batman comics for decades to come. It heavily informed the 1989 movie, the animated series and the Christopher Nolan movies. It is the definitive, dark and gritty take on Batman.

Since I don't think Bruce would ever be content to sip drinks in Paris and leave crimefighting behind him, I see this animated movie as almost a "spiritual sequel" to the Chris Nolan movies, which ended on a lame, uncharacteristic note IMO. DKR is, I think, the REAL way that Batman would retire and how that would play out.

Enjoy!

www.spiritblade.com
    BenAvery
    BenAvery

Activity : 322
    Geek-Cred : 16

Post  BenAvery September 30th 2013, 11:09 am

Basically, it's a sequel to any Batman comics you might have read in the broadest of terms.

This is a FINAL story about Batman.

Now, if you WANT more to watch, here's my "animated Batman movie viewing guide":

(NOTE: This guide ignores the classic Timm-verse Batman and its movies. That's another thing.)

BATMAN: YEAR ONE (based on Frank Miller's Batman: Year One graphic novel -- if anything was specifically tied to Dark Knight Returns, this would be the prequel since it came after)

BATMAN: GOTHAM KNIGHTS (an anthology that was supposed to be tied into Nolan's Batman, for my purposes this works as a loose telling of some of Batman's career as a crime fighter after Year One)

BATMAN: UNDER THE RED HOOD (a pretty good Batman tale, inspired by Death in the Family and Under the Hood)

BATMAN: THE DARK KNIGHT RETURNS (the end of Batman's career)

These four animated films form a surprisingly well made, self-contained (mostly) Batman continuity, even if they aren't meant to be.
    tmorrill
    tmorrill

Post  tmorrill October 4th 2013, 5:36 pm

BenAvery wrote:Basically, it's a sequel to any Batman comics you might have read in the broadest of terms.

This is a FINAL story about Batman.

Now, if you WANT more to watch, here's my "animated Batman movie viewing guide":

(NOTE: This guide ignores the classic Timm-verse Batman and its movies. That's another thing.)

BATMAN: YEAR ONE (based on Frank Miller's Batman: Year One graphic novel -- if anything was specifically tied to Dark Knight Returns, this would be the prequel since it came after)

BATMAN: GOTHAM KNIGHTS (an anthology that was supposed to be tied into Nolan's Batman, for my purposes this works as a loose telling of some of Batman's career as a crime fighter after Year One)

BATMAN: UNDER THE RED HOOD (a pretty good Batman tale, inspired by Death in the Family and Under the Hood)

BATMAN: THE DARK KNIGHT RETURNS (the end of Batman's career)

These four animated films form a surprisingly well made, self-contained (mostly) Batman continuity, even if they aren't meant to be.
    Awesome! Thanks. Turns out I've already seen half of them (Year 1 and Under the Red Hood), so I should be set then.
    DNArington
    DNArington

Activity : 806
    Geek-Cred : 28

Post  DNArington October 16th 2013, 12:03 am

BenAvery wrote:BATMAN: GOTHAM KNIGHTS (an anthology that was supposed to be tied into Nolan's Batman, for my purposes this works as a loose telling of some of Batman's career as a crime fighter after Year One)
    The fact that Gotham Knights was supposed to be in continuity with Nolan's trilogy really annoyed me, because it was so blatantly not. Also none of the stories really hit home for me, at best they were OK to decent. It is probably my least favorite DC animated movie I've seen. (either that or All Star Superman, that was just total randomness.) Under The Red Hood though is one of my favorite animated movies of all time!
    tmorrill
    tmorrill

Post  tmorrill October 16th 2013, 11:50 pm

Well, that Blu-Ray was a great purchase. I both can't believe I haven't seen this before, but am aslo really glad I didn't see it until they were both released.

After watchin' this I bought the "Dark Knight Strikes Back" and found it to be nowhere near as good, it felt too much like "All Star Superman"'s level of randomness.
    Dunadwarf
    Dunadwarf

Activity : 218
    Geek-Cred : 5

Post  Dunadwarf October 18th 2013, 2:45 pm

I guess I'm just missing something because I found Part 1 painful, boring, aimless and brainless (couldn't bring myself to watch Part 2 after my relief at seeing Part 1's credits). Maybe I just know too much about Frank Miller's insanity and Michael Bayishness, but neither my girlfriend nor I could enjoy this, and we tried. Everytime there was a potentially good moment of drama or coolness, the Miller style stepped in with some retarded, out-of-nowhere reference or odd, political cartoon and ruined it. I really wanted to like this, the idea is good, but Miller is just not a good storyteller, like George Lucas or Gene Roddenberry.
    It's like Family Guy written by a ritalin-starved thirteen year old.
    Paeter
    Paeter
    Admin

Post  Paeter October 18th 2013, 4:45 pm

Dunadwarf wrote:I guess I'm just missing something because I found Part 1 painful, boring, aimless and brainless (couldn't bring myself to watch Part 2 after my relief at seeing Part 1's credits). Maybe I just know too much about Frank Miller's insanity and Michael Bayishness, but neither my girlfriend nor I could enjoy this, and we tried. Everytime there was a potentially good moment of drama or coolness, the Miller style stepped in with some retarded, out-of-nowhere reference or odd, political cartoon and ruined it. I really wanted to like this, the idea is good, but Miller is just not a good storyteller, like George Lucas or Gene Roddenberry.
    It's like Family Guy written by a ritalin-starved thirteen year old.
    Wow. Than you would HATE All-Star Batman and Robin. I didn't get any of what you described regarding DKR, but everything you wrote would fit perfectly with a critique of his Batman stuff written from 2000 onward. Of course now you've got me wondering if Miller is actually a very consistent writer and for some reason I'm not seeing those traits in his earlier work.

www.spiritblade.com

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is May 2nd 2024, 2:31 am