Christian Geek Central Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Online Community Of Christian Geek Central

The future of "Geek Ministry"

Paeter
    Paeter
    Admin

Activity : 8030
    Geek-Cred : 60

The future of "Geek Ministry" Empty The future of "Geek Ministry"

Post  Paeter September 18th 2013, 6:49 pm

For a little while now I've been thinking that the nature of ministry to geeks may be changing even more in the future than it already has. When I launched SBP in 2006, geekery had not quite become "popular", but was on its way there. My aim, in large part, was to validate geek entertainment as good and in many cases biblical, providing a point of "safe harbor" for geeks who have been misunderstood or rejected by the mainstream Christian community.

But in the last seven years geekery has rapidly become "cool" and more and more Christian communities are welcoming and even being led by geeks or geek-friendly types. There is still a lot of need out there for better understanding of what scripture has to say (or not say) regarding geek entertainment, but I think "safe harbor" for the Christian geek is more easily found today in both local churches and certainly online.

I've been leaning toward the idea more and more that what Yahweh wants to see next in the Christian Geek is a growing maturity and understanding of what it means to pursue a life united with Christ. More and more geeks are learning how to recognize philosophical and moral ideas in their entertainment, but I'm wondering if the future of geek maturity will involve taking that discernment out of the realm of intellectual acknowledgment and into the realm of life application.

What do you guys think? What do you perceive to be the needs of the Christian geek from a ministry standpoint? What do you feel other geeks need? What do you feel that you need yourself?

I'd be very interested in multiple perspectives on this.

www.spiritblade.com

Current date/time is April 29th 2024, 11:32 am