Christian Geek Central Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Online Community Of Christian Geek Central

3 posters

The Legend Of Conan (The Hyborean Hybernation)

Paeter
    Paeter
    Admin

Activity : 8030
    Geek-Cred : 60

The Legend Of Conan (The Hyborean Hybernation) Empty The Legend Of Conan (The Hyborean Hybernation)

Post  Paeter October 22nd 2013, 10:23 pm

Many of you probably already know about this, but it looks like they are going ahead with the Conan franchise by moving in reverse. Arnold is back in the loincloth (yikes) for another Conan movie, reportedly based on the later life of Conan when he is a king.

(Sigh) I don't know. I'm aware that I'm apparently in the minority of people who actually really enjoyed the 2011 movie with Jason Mamoa(sp?). I got the feeling that it was closer in feel and tone to the source material, though I've never read any of the original Robert E. Howard stuff. I definitely thought it was WAAAY better than the old Arnold flicks.

I didn't grow up watching the Schwarzenegger flicks, so when I finally saw them I found them barely watchable. And for me Arnold is from another era of movie-making. These days its much more common to be able to find actors that can both have physical bulk AND real acting chops. So trying to pretend once again that Arnold's latest character just happens to be from Austria and have very little personality is an exercise I've been out of practice on for over a decade. The role that fit him best was that of a musclebound cyborg, I think. What made him a novelty has aged out of his physique and he is running on fumes of Nostalgia from here on out.

I'm getting ready for a weekend of fantasy gaming by watching my best sword and sorcery flicks and am now mourning the fact that not only do we not get to see where the rebooted Conan franchise would have gone, but we have to let Arnold limp through the role one more time before we can hit the reset button for another reboot attempt, which will undoubtedly have to wait in hibernation for at least four years after Legend Of Conan leaves the box office.

My only hope is that Arnold will give the role everything he's got and more, that it will have a stellar script that plays to his current strengths, that it will have a strong supporting cast to carry the action and the drama, and that the direction and production values will be astounding. Pull out all the stops and make this Arnold's swan song. SOmehow I'll just pretend that the 2011 movie is still in continuity and Conan picked up a weird accent in his travels. (Oh my gosh, I should have stretched before flexing that muscle. Ouch!)

Meanwhile I'm sure Hollywood will give us plenty more Harry Potter knock-offs and enough fun, PG-13 light-hearted fantasy adventures to keep me reading books until my eyes dry out and shrivel up in my grave.

www.spiritblade.com
    DNArington
    DNArington

Activity : 806
    Geek-Cred : 28

The Legend Of Conan (The Hyborean Hybernation) Empty Re: The Legend Of Conan (The Hyborean Hybernation)

Post  DNArington October 22nd 2013, 11:42 pm

Actually there is a Harry Potter spin-off coming I think.

Arnold is a pretty terrible actor (and that made him perfect for The Terminator), but I still love the dude! I love his action movies, because you can laugh through the whole thing and still legitimately like the movie! He's like a walking, talking "so bad it's good" and it is a lot of fun!! As long as it is an appropriate fit for him, I'm all for it! The Last Stand looked fun, but was pretty disappointing. Escape Plan just came out and it also looks like a lot of fun to me.

As for Conan I'm pretty sure the director said that this was supposed to kick off a new old Conan trilogy if all works out. I could probably find links for those if ya want.
    Rickster
    Rickster

Activity : 2338
    Geek-Cred : 16

The Legend Of Conan (The Hyborean Hybernation) Empty Re: The Legend Of Conan (The Hyborean Hybernation)

Post  Rickster October 23rd 2013, 2:06 am

Paeter wrote:
    I don't know. I'm aware that I'm apparently in the minority of people who actually really enjoyed the 2011 movie with Jason Mamoa(sp?).
    I think you're in the minority of people who actually saw the movie
    Paeter
    Paeter
    Admin

Activity : 8030
    Geek-Cred : 60

Post  Paeter October 23rd 2013, 5:19 pm

Rickster wrote:
    Paeter wrote:
    I don't know. I'm aware that I'm apparently in the minority of people who actually really enjoyed the 2011 movie with Jason Mamoa(sp?).
    I think you're in the minority of people who actually saw the movie
    This is also true. I'm sure the bad buzz didn't help. But that flick is currently among my favorite fantasy movies.

www.spiritblade.com

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is May 1st 2024, 10:35 pm